chickencam

The easiest fruit cake ever

I've made a couple of these now, they're really lovely. I've never made a fruit cake without alcohol before, and this was soooo easy.

FOr the second cake I substituted earl grey tea for the water. It didn't make much difference to the flavour initially, but as the cake aged (it lasted several days as I rationed myself), I think the earl grey made it even better. I'd need to make two (one with and one without) amd have them age together to be sure,

Yumm.

Made one of these last night, it's for a tea party (for Contact the Elderly) on Sunday so I'm hoping it will improve with keeping, it looks lovely but I haven't cut into it yet. I had a boiled fruitcake recipe, but it wasn't as runny as this one. Wish I'd seen the tip about using Earl Grey tea, I bet that's lovely.

I've decided to test this scientifically.

Yesterday I made two cakes using identical ingredients (apart from one had Earl Grey tea and one had water), cooked in the same sized tins, in the same oven at the same time.

I'll test them today and over the coming days to see if there is any discernable difference/improvement of one over the other.

I'll be back to report later,

So, we've just had our first little smackerels of the two versions.

I couldn't really tell the difference, but I hadn't really expected to at this stage. DH did a blind tasting and correctly identified the one with Early Grey tea in. He neither preferred nor didn't prefer it to the one made with water (he liked the both), so that was no help at all.

I'm not sure I need an impartial testing partner Clare, a partial one would probably be a better bet.

I've managed to put them back in the tins without cutting an extra "I just need to be sure" slice, and I'm going to put them somewhere where I can't see them.

I had forgotten just how blummen more-ish they are!

I'll force another couple of slices down tomorrow, and report back.