chickencam

The easiest fruit cake ever

I have recently stumbled upon this recipe and am now making my fourth cake in a month! I guess it is all the constant labouring going on as we do up our house that gives us the excuse for a piece of cake with a cup of tea and no guilt. This is a great recipe thank you Chickencam. :D I use soft brown sugar instead of ordinary and I am going to try using Earl Grey tea next time. Does anyone know if this cake freezes well? If so I will make a batch to tide us through once I am back at school.

This sounds like a good recipe, would like to try it. One question, Is mixed spicer, allspice? Or do you mix up your own spices?

"MIxed Spice" and "All Spice" (or "Allspice") are two different products.

"MIxed Spice" is a blend of spices, which includes nutmeg/cinnamon/cloves/ginger, but will also have other spices as well

"Allspice" is a berry, but the flavour of it is similar to a blend of nutmeg/cinnamon/cloves

Of the two, "Mixed Spice" is the most universally used.

Hope that helps

Thanks Dogmother. We don't have Mixed Spice over here. Wonder what I could use instead, maybe a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice? For those that have made this does that sound like it would fit the bill and come close to the taste?

Sorry, I cross posted and didn't realise you didn't have it in the US.

I've had a look on the Schwartz website (as they are one of the main herbspice producers).

their mixed spice contains Cinnamon (40%), Coriander Seed, Caraway, Nutmeg, Ginger, Cloves. (listed in decreasing order of proportion)

Barts Spices, their main competitor, just lists coriander, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg (which is just listed alphabetically).

IIn your situation, I would be tempted to just use allspice. I think trying to work out how much caraway/coriander to add would be a bit tough, and could end in it being overpowering.

I would go easy on the additon though. Start with less than the recipe says, and see what it smells/tastes like as a mixture before you pour it into the cake tin.

Hope that helps.

Hazel

Thank you for bringing this up as i can't do prolonged beating my poor arthritic joints won't let me, :( and yesterday i did a little shopping on line and took advantage of the offer in currys and bought the 1/2 price kenwood food mixer :whistle::whistle: I know a lot of money but it will be used andmy ED will borrow it and do a batch bake.

:clap::clap: But this recipe is just wonderful and i can actually make it, and it is delicious too :D

So thank you.

Well, this cake recipe is still a firm favourite in the Space Chick household, and I currently have the fruit cooling... We go on holiday on Tuesday, and OH wants to take cake with us :doh:

The cake has slightly grown arms and legs though... In this batch I have normal dried fruit, dried apricots, dried cranberries and dates... And the liquid is Earl Grey tea with a splash of amaretto... I am also adding mixed nuts instead of peel (but they will be added with the dry ingredients).

I have tried to convince myself that this is "good" cake, and won't make me fatter, as it's bound to be part of my 5 a day... Right :anxious:

Although I have to admit I make it with butter and not margarine now :oops:

I always make it in double quantities now... With a cake for now, and a cake for the freezer... I already have a cake which has been made purely with brandy as the liquid for our Christmas cake :dance:

Of course it is good cake, loads of fruit in there, especially if you vary it and include different coloured fruit and nuts too, we all know that nuts are good for us. I use half butter half margarine when I make it. We take one on each holiday too :D

Enjoy, it is good cake and you are on holiday.