jess1merlin Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Fingers crossed everything goes well today Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ISCA Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Yikes sounds dreadful. I hope she willbe OK. I had no idea what "bumper bits" were and have just googled them. They look rather like a medieval torture device. I am sure events like this are rare with them but thank you for the warning. I have never needed them but doubt i would consider using them now regardless. I hope the vet can help her today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickiepiggies Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 How awful hope she's ok Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scrambledhead Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hope your little chook is doing well today, thinking of you... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cranfield Kate Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 fingers crossed for you all but please don't beat yourself up - I am sure you put the bit on her for good reason and it's totally not our fault this happened. she sounds like a right fighter mind! eating already! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Any news yet??? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 I've just caught up with this ....still no news ...........I do hope Roxy is ok, and Dolly & family too Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 she's kept fighting. My thoughts and prayers are with you both ((hugs)) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
johnandkymberley Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hi Dolly, any news yet? my hens have got their wings crossed and ive got my fingers crossed for good news from the vets, let us all know when you can xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 Oh dear, that sounds awful. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's ok and the vets were able to sort her out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sezra Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 Sincerely hope all is ok and Roxy is recovering. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majuka Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 I'm so sorry to hear this, how upsetting for both you and Roxy. Hope that all is going well at the vets today. Those who take the attitude that 'it is only a chicken' have never had the privilige of sharing their lives with such entertaining and personable little characters.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tutti Frutti Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 I hope Roxy (and you too Dolly!) are both OK, fingers firmly crossed here! Well done you for getting vet help so swiftly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted July 24, 2010 Author Share Posted July 24, 2010 Thank you SO SO much for thoughts, best wishes, prayers and crossed wings, it seems it all paid off because I have my brave, beautiful girl safely back home with me now happily tucking in (as best she can) to all her favourite treats in the newly constructed 'hen hospital wing' (previously our breakfast room!). Despite trying for nearly an hour yesterday, the vet couldn't reconstruct her beak and called to say he'd had to amputate the top part of her beak altogether. I was distraught, I didn't think she could eat or live the life a chicken should and asked my husband to tell them we loved her and dearly wanted her back but couldn't wish this on her and were preparing to let her go. To our surprise and joy, the vet assured us she was already awake and being held by one of the nurses and was in no distress at all. He said she had a good prognosis and with some adjustment, had every chance to lead a good life. He even took her home with him that night so he could keep an eye on her and make sure she could feed, obviously if she couldn't then there would be no other choice but to say goodbye. So late this morning we got a call from him to say she'd already adjusted to eating and was tucking into sweetcorn from a 'bowl' he fashioned for her from straw with a towel over the top to protect her sore beak - he was truly wonderful with her and I couldn't thank him enough. My only worry now is that integrating her back with our other 2 could be tricky as she's been away from them for a few days. When she's healed, we'll set a separate run up for her alongside theirs so they can see each other so we'll see how this goes for a week or so. Thank you all again, and I'll keep in touch. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 That is great news! Amazing how quickly they can adapt. Looking forward to hearing about her progress Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 Wow, that is great, I was so ready for bad news Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Isabel Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 Wow, that's amazing - what a wonderful vet you have. Wishing her a speedy recovery. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sezra Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 Wow, I am so pleased for you! What lovely news and what a fab vet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 What a relief for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Groovychook Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 That's fantastic news! What a brilliant vet you have! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hippy chick Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 That's so good to hear,I was dreading the worst for you. What a wonderful vet you must have. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 I came expecting the worst........congratulations on a happy outcome Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 That good news has made me really happy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 Brilliant news and what a fantastic vet Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
johnandkymberley Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 That is AMAZING news, thank god it wasnt more serious and it seems Roxy is just taking it in her stride, bless her. I dont blame her for tucking into some sweetcorn, what lady doesnt like being spoilt? i was just sitting outside on the laptop when i read your post, i told my hens and they said "bac" - well thats the closest i can spell it!!! Then i thought well what did i expect them to say?!?..... All the best to you both and keep us posted about the introduction! p.s would love to see a pic of her xxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...