Biker Chick

Any Computer Experts Please

Just had an email from Norton Security saying that our anti-virus and spyware is about to expire. What I would like to know is, I've heard about the free downloads from AVG and was wondering just how safe these are. Norton are saying it will cost us about £40 to renew with them. We are are not at all technical when it comes to computers but I do use it for on-line banking, the odd bit of shopping, facebook and of course the Forum :lol: Will the free AVG protect our computer from all the nasty virusus or would we be better to spend our money with Norton????

Thank you for any advice but please keep it in simple, easy to understand English :wink:

I have used AVG for a while now and found it to be really good, ive also installed spyware too as a back up. AVG Zone alarm can be set up to scan everyday which takes about 20 mins and although slows your pc a bit during the 20 mins it is well worth it! It tells you when it needs updating and its always a free download :D

I am NO expert, however the only time we got a virus and had our email address hijacked was when running AVC instead of Norton. Admittedly it was over 5 years ago, but for the problems it caused us I consider Norton a sensible precaution. A bit like insurance really, you hope you will never need to know how good it is!!!

I've never paid for AV stuff. Used to use AVG but then it got resource heavy so swapped over to Avast free ages ago and all fine here. I also use SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. Again, all free and highly recommended elsewhere.

BTW Norton is a resource hog and you must uninstall it all before using another AV to avoid problems.

Well, I've flitted between AVG, Avast and Avira (the three major contenders that happen to be free for non-commercial use), and not been disappointed. All have consistently performed equally well to more expensive alternatives in independent tests, and it's important to remember that none of these are free to all; any business wanting to use them has to pay full whack, so these products still get the revenue to invest.

AVG for me too

Norton have appalling customer service so chances are if you ever needed help you'd be stuck, we have had to contact them several times for help with absolutely no luck each time

When our computer was pinched the new owner over-wrote my Norton 'secure' back up with their own stuff- we lost all our photos and Norton couldnt have cared less

I've used a few in the past (Avast, Nod32, Kaspersky, you name it), and stuck with AVG free for a while, until their awful upgrade version (8, was it?) which was a resource hog. I have heard they've improved it since, but I've been happy enough with my current installation of Microsoft Security Essentials (free) to not want to move back to AVG.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I've installed it on a few (non-technically inclined) relatives' PCs and it's been very trouble free for them, too.

Edited by Guest

Another AVG fan here :D . I also use Spybot, Ad-Aware & Windows Defender - all free 8) .

I use CCleaner and Cleanup! for keeping things nice and tidy (both also free 8) ).

Me too, the only advantage of using Norton (when I had it) was the parental control; I have since found an alternative that allows Rosie to roam on t'interweb safely, and I can block any sites that i don't want her to visit.