Cinnamon Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I love the summer & really hate it when it goes,so I keep a mental list of lovely Autumnal things to look forward to. Open fires Lighting candles in the living room,& having the curtains drawn again Making soups,casseroles & other comfort foods The beautiful Autumn leafs The Autumn TV schedules (new True Blood,Being Human,The inbetweeners,House,& Bones to come!) The onset of Christmas - I love the anticipation more than the event! Getting my long sleeved tops back out of the wardrobe New boots Autumy clothes in the shops in lovely colours like berry,forest green & inky blue Having the husband home by 5pm No more Mozzies or wasps Starbucks Gingerbread latte towards Christmastime Those rare brilliant autumn days when its cold yet brightly sunny Please add some more to help cheer me up! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 We are getting the dogs ready for the shooting season here, First one is in two weeks on partridge so i will be getting the game cook book out again ( we always eat what we shoot). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 That lovely sort of "Autumn Smell" Hard to describe, but I think you know what I mean! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
debbier Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Somehow the atmosphere is recognisably autumnal, first thing in the morning: does it "sound" different to anyone else, or do I imagine it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kinsk Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I'm not a huge fan of summer, think it's quite overrated I love Autumn though Sept and Oct are my favourite months. I was eyeing up the slow cooker in it's box at the weekend wondering if it was too early to get it back out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Totally agree with your Cinnamon Meals with lots of gravy, lighting my fire at 4pm blackberry and apple crumble with cold custard and tidying the garden ready for winter. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Palmer Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 We have a Katsura tree, (cercidiphyllum japonicum) in our garden. As well as heart shaped green leaves which are starting to turn yellow and will eventually go purple and red before falling, it has the most wonderful scent of burnt sugar, a bit like toffee apples, at this time of year. I noticed it for the first time this year a few mornings ago when I went to let the chickens out. It's a sign the Autumn is on it's way. It's a funny one. If you go up to the tree you can't smell anything, but you catch the scent as you move around the garden. We were at Winkworth Arboretum one autumn and there was the most incredible burnt sugar smell. So I just followed my nose and found the tree! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I just love the change...... so Autumn comes as a welcome relief from Summer as will Winter for Autumn and Spring for Winter and Summer for Spring until we're here again and "Crikey! where did the year go?" It's my favourite season, no wonder so many poets were inspired. I'm lucky to be in the middle of the most beautiful place on earth with fells and dales on my doorstep. You wake up one morning and Autumn's here, you can smell it. I love the garden festooned in spider webs which vanish with the first cold snap,the roar of the wind at night and the surprising lack of destruction when you wake in the morning. I love gazing into the first log fire of the year, whisky in hand enveloped in my husbands arms. I love the yellow,golden,red leaves and the excitement of finding a perfect cep hidden under a carpet of oak leaves and I love the scent of coming snow in the air and to waken with the first dusting on the high fells. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 yup, that Autumn smell is in the air - always makes me thing of going back to Primary school, which I loved, for a new term. Slow cooker soups, stews and casseroles Sausage and mash Jacket potatoes Lighting the woodburner Crisp frosty mornings when I go up the garden to check on the chookies Wearing boots, jumpers and winter coats (I am not a summer person!) Bonfire night (but not the fireworks) My birthday - sorry, that one is no help to you Cinnamon! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BarbaraJ Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 sorry not a fan here , have to wear too many clothes, too windy, colder dark nights, rainy stay in days .... i'll stop now before i depress myself Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I love summer too Sarah, and don't mind crisp autumn, but today's rain is horrid. I like Making stews in the slow cooker.. Dumplings *Mmmmm* Stoking up the stove then baking potatoes in it The smell of the seeds on the bronzed fennel in the garden Crisp morning with the sun shining through the mist and plenty of bunnies for the dog to chase. I don't like the shorter days though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 That lovely sort of "Autumn Smell" Hard to describe, but I think you know what I mean! Lush have brought out a perfume that is called " The Smell of The Weather Turning" . i'm not sure about it myself , I get the scent of wet dogs from it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Lush have brought out a perfume that is called " The Smell of The Weather Turning" . i'm not sure about it myself , I get the scent of wet dogs from it! Perhaps for people living in the city Autumn does indeed manifest itself as the smell of wet dogs When I lived in London Autumn was the time of year when my collie did smell wet coming in from a walk in the park. A stroke of genius I'd say Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I have the sample pot, I can also get the smell of Tiger Balm, So my conclusion is it smells like a jogger with sore muscles jogging with his dog in the rain in London. Well......thats what Lush thinks Autum smells like! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I'll have to check it out next time I go to Stratford. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I love crisp mornings and the trees changing colour Its Autumn when I really miss my horse the most, I used to ride through the woods in Autumn enjoying the cool air and all the lovely smells I also love coming home to the village from work and smelling the wood fires (no gas in our village) I always wind the window down to take in the smell as soon as I get to the village regardless of how cold it is! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Dumplings Farmers Markets Mushroom walks Long walks with the dogs Decent tv Planting bulbs Trees changing colour Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
greyhoundgirl Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 It's always my favourite term at school. So many festivals to celebrate with the children. Also the excitment of going to Woolies as a child and buying a new pencil case and stuff never leaves me. I get the urge every year. Shame Woolies has gone all those children who'll never know how many treasures it held. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I love crisp mornings and the trees changing colour Its Autumn when I really miss my horse the most, I used to ride through the woods in Autumn enjoying the cool air and all the lovely smells I also love coming home to the village from work and smelling the wood fires (no gas in our village) I always wind the window down to take in the smell as soon as I get to the village regardless of how cold it is! I miss mine too , It was nice to tuck them up in their stables all snug after a long hack, though mine used to get all scitish when the wind blew the leaves around. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Yes the autumn smell is here too. Normally I like the autumn especially cold bright mornings but this year not looking forward to it. OH away most of the week with work and now DS also away a lot so on my own, the dark evenings on my own are going to difficult It is getting dark already here. But I love the colours that will soon be around and coming in from the cold having sorted out the girls first thing in the morning to the warmth of the aga. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Blackberrying, making jam and picking apples. I feel a song coming on " crisp apple struedels ....etc" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 I also love autumn - all the fruit on the hedgerows, the smell of bonfires, misty mornings Especially looking forward to the colder weather this year - after 4 years of our heating system gradually getting worse and worse, and some days not being able to move out of the lounge because the house was so cold, we have finally had it fixed! Can't wait for the heating to go on! (how sad is that? ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SJChick Posted September 7, 2010 Share Posted September 7, 2010 I like all seasons really but I most enjoy the morning light in the Autumn. Last week we had lovely sunny days and cold nights but in the morning when the sun was coming up everything looked like it was peach tinted. Also, looking forward to digging my big woolly socks and jumpers out and going out in bad weather, battling the elements and then coming home to a cosy house for tea and bics. The weather here today is absolutely awful, really windy and heavy driving rain but I am stuck in my office just now and part of me really wants to wrap up and take the dog out - Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted September 7, 2010 Share Posted September 7, 2010 I love autumn. The vibrant colours. The closing down of the allotment, with the harvests stored away. Lighting the wood burner, it has been lit for the last two evenings, it has got a bit hot to be honest, but it is lovely to smell it again. The fresh clean smell in the air. Apples Baked potatoes, we have had quite a few already. Getting the house to myself again as everyone goes back to school and work - OH had the day off yesterday because he was feeling poorly. I got quite irritable Making soup - cream of swede today. Time to read and sit down in the evenings. Crisp walks at the weekend, I don't like summer walks it is too hot. Hearing the birds again, they are too quiet in the summer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted September 8, 2010 Share Posted September 8, 2010 Got up at 6 and there was a gentle mist over NW London. Lovely - remarked to OH about "mists and mellow fruitfulness" and he gave me one of his looks he reserves for lower life forms he hates autumn being a Meddie (cant spell the long version ) hes a sun lover. Put washing out in antiscipation of good weather - probably chuck it down now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...