sadietoo

Woollen Duvets

First night under the wool- very thin and light and doesnt swamp you when you cuddle into it, very comfortable for me with nightime hot flushes and I got a good night's sleep :dance: no more crinkly than my down summer quilt. Its hard to describe how it keeps you warm but doesnt feel hot- if you are used to a big fluffy 13 tog synthetic it feels like you should be cold but you aren't, its a very different kind of warmth if that makes any sense. I love it, don't know if OH is being polite because I was so comfortable, I guess I'll find out when it gets colder. Anyone used one of these in a really cold snap?

First night under the wool- very thin and light and doesnt swamp you when you cuddle into it, very comfortable for me with nightime hot flushes and I got a good night's sleep :dance: no more crinkly than my down summer quilt. Its hard to describe how it keeps you warm but doesnt feel hot- if you are used to a big fluffy 13 tog synthetic it feels like you should be cold but you aren't, its a very different kind of warmth if that makes any sense. I love it, don't know if OH is being polite because I was so comfortable, I guess I'll find out when it gets colder. Anyone used one of these in a really cold snap?

Mine in minus 15 degrees last winter was ace - have had mine for a few years now and love it have also one on a spare room bed too. I just put a light quilt on top in the winter to keep cats feet off the duvet cover and its fine too folded down at the bottom of the bed

I am reading all this feedback with interest - when I get the spare room sorted, I will need some bedding; I might just get one if the deal is still on then and put my current duvet in the spare room.

No more hot flushes here - sorted by Femarelle :D

Got the trial - just starting it so heres hoping!!!!!!!!! fingers crossed

Good news :D I was counting my lucky stars the other day when a friend was recounting her menopausal problems.

Last night was my first night under the new woollen duvet. Although I did not sleep through it was notable that I did not spend all night throwing the covers off and then getting cold and pulling them back. I did have to put my arms out a couple of times. It might take a little getting used to as it feels very different to a down duvet, but I have hopes that I might one day sleep through! (@Claret: I was wondering about the femarelle but I couldn't find out if they had researched its effects on the cardiovascular system. As I have high blood pressure, I don't want to take anything that might increase my cardiovascular risk.) OH did not notice any difference! He often feels cold at night so it will be interesting to see how the duvet performs when the weather gets cold.

I can also report that the Homescapes woollen duvet is not crinkly/crackly and does not smell unlike some reports I have seen about woollen duvets.

I have just seen one of these duvets in the flesh so to speak. I was discussing them at work and it turns out that a colleague has one, so we had lunch at her place today.

They are very thin compared with a regular feather and down duvet and the 'crackly' outer casing is polypropylene rather than cotton, which probably explains the noise it makes. She says that they find it 'OK' and sleep well under it, but find no advantage over a feather one.

Thanks for the offer Lesley, but I have seen one now. :D

Mine is not crackly and has never been crackly at all and the cover is soft cotton material. Depends on which make you have seen - I think mine was very expensive but its New Zealand wool and came from there and is the highest gram stuffing I could get at the time as we are so cold up here for a long time over the winter. It should not be crackly I would say.

This is mine and I have had my king size (queen size over there) for a few years now and was cheaper than this one

http://www.nznature.co.nz/Product-Detail_26.aspx?CategoryId=77&ProductId=875 It has a lovely cotton cover.

Well, it has taken me a few nights to get used to the wool duvet, probably because there's not much to it and I'm not weighed down by the bedding! I think I'm the opposite to most of you in that I often wake due to being too cold. I'm actually amazed that it has kept me warm and I haven't woken up. I had to take a lovely throw off the bed though as this was pressing the duvet down onto me and it does feel quite 'firm', so when it has softened up a bit I'll put my throw over the top again . I can imagine this working especially well for those of you with warm hands and feet, at present I'm wearing bedsocks until I get used to the lightweight bedding!

Clare, I can confirm what your colleague has told you is correct, cotton cover with woolmark all over, and polypropylene interlining.

i always used to be a cold sleeper (low blood pressure) until I got night sweats. they've gone now and I'm at a sort of mid-point heatwise. I can't bear the bedroom being heated though, so have the window open unless it's really, really raining hard, or lower than -2deg. Phil doesn't like fresh air (strange for a farm boy) and moans about it when he's there, but as he's only there 1 or 2 nights a week, his choice doesn't count :wink:

I shall order one, and if I'm not keen, it will go on the spare bed when that room's finished.

I'm still getting used to mine even though I know it is lovely!

My old, cheap, synthetic one was like a marshmallow - when I get into bed now I feel like I've just booked into a cheap B&B with budget bedding! :lol: As soon as I'm under the duvet I'm warm and toasty and I sleep much better than I was before :roll: