sadietoo

Woollen Duvets

Just to say I did weaken in the end and got myself a woollen duvet from The Wool Company. OH & I have single duvets as so much more comfy. Duvet was pretty expensive but I made sure I got one that was 100% natural fibres - I think some of the cheaper ones have polypropalene in the covering which to my mind would negate the effect of having a wool filling?

Well, I was amazed at the difference in my sleep. I have been suffering from menopausal night heat sessions - always when first getting into bed and a few times in the night. They have completely gone with the wollen duvet!!!! I can feel my face geting a bit warm when I get into bed but then it goes. With the previous duvet the heat travelled all down my body and the duvet must have then acted like a greenhouse, building up the heat inside until I had to throw the cover off.

The wool seems to somehow act as a natural heat regulator. OH was so envious we had to buy another duvet for him and a woollen pillow each (previous pillow was having the same heating up effect on my face until the pillow itself was hot!). Money very well spent as we both now sleep so much better.

Ours are the Spring/Autumn weight and we have not felt the cold at all.

I am still loving mine too - it is really lovely & comforting,warm without being too warm.

The one problem I have found is because its quite thin...thinner than normal puffy duvets...it doesn't seem to fill the duvet cover & we end up with flappy bits at the side with no duvet in them :?

A bit annoying,but a small price to pay for otherwise a wonderful product.

I'm still loving mine. OH is finding it a bit chilly and has had to don extra nightclothes, however, he did find the old feather duvet too cold in winter too so maybe he is just a cold person. My menopausal symptoms are much better with the wool duvet but worse if we pull up the (synthetic) blanket that we have covering the bed during the day, but which OH likes at night because of aforesaid feeling cold problem. Mine is an autumn weight one from Homescapes and fills our duvet covers exactly (it is 2m x 2m).

@ Cinnamon- we have superking that fits properly one way but doesnt quite fit the cover if you get it wrong, maybe thats the problem..?

Thought about that,but we measured it & everything,plus the seams go up & down the duvet as it lays on the bed (I have a Devon Duvets one)

It just seems that there isn't enough 'puff' to fill it out :roll::lol:

I have to say that I wasn't at all impressed with mine - it's as cool as my regular (feather and down) summer weight duvet so not nearly warm enough for winter use. I have only just laundered and put away my big winter feather and down 13 tog duvet and got the wool one back out and it's still not warm enough. And to annoy me even further, the cream coloured cover shows through all my white duvet covers :roll:

I guess I'm on my own here but it won't go to waste; I have loads of lovely vintage fabric of my Grandma's which I will use to make a quilt based on the wool duvet. It probably won't be finished until next year though :roll:

Bumping this thread to mention that I too did not find the wool duvet to be the answer to everything...

My husband is complaining of not being warm enough. I find the night sweats are not as bad but I still go through cycles of being too hot then too cold. So, I was wondering whether anyone had any experience of silk filled duvets?? One seems to be able to buy them with different fill weights and they are supposed to be very light, so I was thinking of getting a summer weight one to put on top of the wool duvet as I don't want to add much extra weight but OH needs to be warmer. He also suffers from allergies so I am trying to avoid down/feather duvets and because of the night sweats I need to avoid synthetic. Both silk and wool are claimed to be inhospitable to dust mites.

Any thoughts anyone?

Resurrecting this ancient thread, as I have been without my loved Devon Woollen Duvet for a week now, & am missing it horribly.

It is by far the best thing I have ever bought purely on recommendation from this site 8)

Sadly the dog went a bit loopy & peed all over our bed - beautiful duvet & mattress topper both ruined. The mattress is salvageable we think, but only just.

So until my Woollen wonder is back we are coping with a skimpy very lightweight double one on our huge bed, when we are used to a superking sized, luxurious , perfectly heat regulating beautiful duvet :roll:

Resurrecting this ancient thread, as I have been without my loved Devon Woollen Duvet for a week now, & am missing it horribly.

It is by far the best thing I have ever bought purely on recommendation from this site 8)

Sadly the dog went a bit loopy & peed all over our bed - beautiful duvet & mattress topper both ruined. The mattress is salvageable we think, but only just.

So until my Woollen wonder is back we are coping with a skimpy very lightweight double one on our huge bed, when we are used to a superking sized, luxurious , perfectly heat regulating beautiful duvet :roll:

I'm glad you are still loving your Devon Woollen Duvet Cinnamon. We are still using ours and I too would hate to be without it! Best thing ever ! X

I have a bit of a tale to tell about my replacement Devon Duvet.........

It came, I was delighted, but thought it seemed thinner than usual. I had bought it from John Lewis, but decided to call up Devon Duvets directly, as there was nothing on the duvet label to tell me if it was indeed the medium that I had ordered, or a light one put into a medium box by mistake.

Anyhow, with no quibble whatsoever, Devon Duvets sent me another duvet, a medium one, as they too thought I had in fact got a light one in a medium box. They told me to keep the light one too, so I can double them up in the future if I want to.

Outstanding customer service from Devon Duvets :-)