splodge88

Chicken-friendly dogs

We have a Staffordshire Bull terrier....and before you all recall in horror, the Stafford is one of only two dogs in which suitability with children is mentioned as a breed standard. The other is the English Bull terrier...I've owned both. Toffee is a sweet, loving, gentle dog, who thinks she's a cat, as she sleeps on laps, and if allowed, window sills. She has been trained not to chase the hens when FRing...and all this from a dog rescued from absolute squalor. forced to eat leftover takeovers or scavenge......a gorgeous dog all round.....

we have a choclate lab and he is great with chickens, guinea pigs and two children( even does his pooh/wee on concrete area of garden even when out with us in garden).He truley is wonderful. However his brother who lives with my mom isn't good at anything really except eating and cuddles. Don't get me wrong i love him to death but it really does just go to show you if you are strict, on the ball most dogs will happily go with the flow. Got to say though LABS are the best mo. :)

yep, I have to say, that it is training that counts...the hours I've put in over the years..... :roll: We've had Labs, blonde and black, and love them too..just not the greediness that can happen....I hate small yappy dogs, and was bitten on the face by a Jack Russell as a child, still have a little marks by my right eye, so would never have a JR...or a Collie, unless I was out working it all day..I think it's training and boundaries that count!

Our manchester pie hound (aka mongrel) was very naughty with the chickens in our village that free ranged all over the place. I never really expected her to be totally trustworthy with ours but she is bombproof. I think it is more of an individual dog thing rather that a breed thing myself. There is a lovely spaniel just down the road that is a soft as butter and rides out with the horses and is great with the owner's sheep. It did however go out and kill all of her chickens and buried the bodies around the garden :shock:

I agree too that it is training that counts and also, probably, the individual dog rather than the breed.

I got my chickens from a lady who had two JRs who ran about with her chickens and they were all quite happy together. I was pleased as I did not want them to be frightened of my dogs. After careful introductions, my JR x spaniel now sits in my chicken coop with the chickens happily pecking round him and even roosting on either side of him. :dance:

Contrary to many a person's expectation, I also trust my Saluki who walks past the chickens without so much as turning his head. I even have two ex-racing greyhounds. These two had to be watched carefully to begin with but are now fine. In fact they are even a little scared of my tiny Silkie cockerel, having been pecked on the nose.

I'd also trust a Staffie (they are not called 'Nanny dogs' for nothing).

However I'd re-iterate what one person said elsewhere on this forum that it would not be a good idea to leave a dog, any dog, unwatched with your chickens as the chicken would always come off worst.

Totaly agree, Never leave a dog alone with chickens. It's all about time and clear boundaries. If u don't want a dog to do something, never let him . for example, if u don't want them on furniture never let them on even for a cuddle. it confuses them. Be strict, clear and you shouldn't have many problems whatever the breed.

I believe the same is said about children ( not children and chickens...you know what I mean) I'm from Leicestershire, and there was a terrible case of Rottweilers attacking a sleeping baby. I NEVER left my dogs with the babies....I did once find my EBT growling at the crib that was in the sitting room, and was horrified..only to find that pusscat had snuggled up with Marnie..she was about 6 months at the time..so had to get a cat net for the crib and cot.....good old Flounder.....Saved the day.

Hiya Splodge, I'd agree with the others in that it's not a particular breed, but the individual dog themselves.

We feel very blessed with our Ben (picture to the left :D ) he's such a good boy and has never been a minute's trouble to us. He's a rescue doggy and didn't have the best start, but he's got his paws right under the table now :D

He's good as gold with the chickens and seems to enjoy watching them as much as we do! He's nearly always by my side when I'm doing things for them, such as changing water/food, clearing out nest box etc.

I love this picture I managed to get of Ben watching Cottie one sunny day. Cottie was totally oblivious to us watching her whilst she was enjoying scratching and making her dust bath. Sadly Cottie is no longer with us :(

59309_467702532111_679362111_6693894_4117836_n.jpg

We have a Staffordshire Bull terrier....and before you all recall in horror, the Stafford is one of only two dogs in which suitability with children is mentioned as a breed standard. The other is the English Bull terrier...I've owned both. Toffee is a sweet, loving, gentle dog, who thinks she's a cat, as she sleeps on laps, and if allowed, window sills. She has been trained not to chase the hens when FRing...and all this from a dog rescued from absolute squalor. forced to eat leftover takeovers or scavenge......a gorgeous dog all round.....

Sadly I don't think it's the dogs Sari, more the irresponsible owners that these poor dogs end up with :(

we have a border terrier, she is great with the chickens (and the kids) as a puppy I tied her up on a long lead in the garden while the chooks were out, they were bigger than her and she learnt very quickly that she wasn't to chase them, they are now fine and always out together, I would not however leave them alone toigether as I thinka dogs natural insincts are quite strong.

I do think that some breeds have a chase/kill instinct that would be harder to train out than other breeds - hounds and terriers for example ..... In my experience, Labradors are relatively easy to train - and my own two are fantastic with the chooks - even tolerating being pecked on the nose by my cheeky Vorwerk hen!

Hiya Splodge, I'd agree with the others in that it's not a particular breed, but the individual dog themselves.

We feel very blessed with our Ben (picture to the left :D ) he's such a good boy and has never been a minute's trouble to us. He's a rescue doggy and didn't have the best start, but he's got his paws right under the table now :D

He's good as gold with the chickens and seems to enjoy watching them as much as we do! He's nearly always by my side when I'm doing things for them, such as changing water/food, clearing out nest box etc.

I love this picture I managed to get of Ben watching Cottie one sunny day. Cottie was totally oblivious to us watching her whilst she was enjoying scratching and making her dust bath. Sadly Cottie is no longer with us :(

59309_467702532111_679362111_6693894_4117836_n.jpg

Can't believe it I have an identical photo, same dog, chicken and garden, I had to look twice. My dog was a lab x border terrier and was great with the chickens, ate all the food, poo etc but loved the chickens. My other dog who I still have is a colliexGSD who would kill them if she got a chance. I agree it's the dog not the breed. My mums greyhound is scared of the chickens and runs aways.

I have a Cavalier King Charles (Molly) who is a typical lap dog but she chases birds off like she is a cat. We have yet to get our ex bats (6th nov) so I am wondering how I can intergrate dog and bird??? :wink:

We also have a Staffy and she is very good with my children and other animals in fact she would probably be better with the hens than Molly :lol:

I have a whippet and 2 dachshunds. They used to dash to the run and prance about or stalk them, it's taken a while but the dogs have the greatest of respect for the big girls. The littlies are still interesting though. I would never totally trust them to leave them all unattended at the same time. The big girls fly at the dogs and have even landed on their backs to chase them, they peck hard too, it all works.

Downside is if you take a biscuit or cake out with a cup of tea to chicken watch it's a bit like feeding the 5000 and Sunday R will even try and take it out of the whippets mouth.

You may also find that the dog finds chicken poop the tasty snack you can eat between meals, eeewwweee :mrgreen: wormers all round I think.

As has been said, with any dog it is taking the time and having the patience to gradually introduce them to the idea that the chickens are part of the family. Both my dogs - a spaniel and a rescue mini schnauzer - would have chased the chickens at first, but now they are absolutely fine with them.

Have you thought about getting a rescue dog? If you go to a good shelter, where the dogs are carefully assessed, they will be able to advise you which dogs may be suitable. They might even have a dog that has lived with chickens before.

I think the character of the chooks makes quite a bit of difference too... Our Weimaraner was 14 months old when we got our first chooks and even though we had done and still do lots of training with him he was so excited by the chickens that he ran at them a couple of times. Although I dont think he ever would have chased them to hurt them, it was huge relief when the chickens completly ignored him. Because they didnt flap or run away, they wernt exciting anymore and now they all free range together, chickens, dog, cat and bunny!