Christian

Spammers again......

You may have noticed more spammers on the forum.

If you come across a spam post, please click on the ! in the top right hand corner of the post and report it. One of the mods will be along to delete it asap. The report function highlights the post in PINK so we see it more quickly.

We do try and moderate spammers as quickly as possible, but don't sit here all day looking for them. :wink::lol::lol:

Many thanks for your help. :D

I can understand the ones we get, who post advert links in a post signature..but we get completely random ones, usually from Pakistan and SE Asia at the minute, who don't post a siggy and just copy and paste a previous post. I must be dim, but I just don't get why?? We also spend a lot of time modding inappropriate comments :oops:

When I first became Mod on here everything was new to me.....forums were new to me......and I kept clicking on things that looked like spam to make sure.......I certainly learned some stuff I didn't know before :shock::shock:

I sympathise with you all with the amount you're having to sort out again.

There are some very sad individuals. I joined omlet because I like talking about chickens, makes sense for people like me to be on here but why spend so much time on a forum when you have no interest in it? I am also on a dog forum and we have had some very unpleasant spammers on there who post threads on the best why to kill dogs :twisted: luckily we have good mods who get rid of the posts quickly but you have to worry about some of the population...

On my Guiding Forum, in the Summer I discovered and had to report an individual who we believed was grooming..."her" fantasy life was so outrageous, this is what made my alarm bells ring.....she then started to post links to other sites, which in turn led to "nasty" pictures.....I still to this day don't know exactly, as CEOP won't confirm or deny...but she appeared to be a man...she was also on many other Fora, with variations of "her" name The Mod team spent a while online and we found this out she was on lots....some really hideous ones too...Adult TV channels, Adult models, Teachers sites , all with similar names, often getting banned for posting "nasty" pictures or links to *ahem* XXX sites. "her" story was always similar....Spanish/English mix, late 20's Dance and Drama Teacher...husband in an unnamed military force, 6 children, all surrogate... :shock: pregnant and miscarrying...living in Spain, but sometimes in the UK.....expecting another surrogate baby..always variations on this theme....we suspected she was a man, and we discovered she was in constant email and PM contact with 2 young vulnerable women on our Forum, and was making overtures to meet up for " a girly weekend"...we reported her to CEOP and the Police, and told the girls not to meet her, at all costs.

I never thought I'd be doing this when I was asked to help Mod the site...I thought it would be modding swearing and infighting..... :anxious:

Yes, we have had one heck of a battle with spammers lately. It has made logging on something of a chore as we have to ban users and move unsuitable posts before we can read, enjoy and contribute to the forum ourselves.

It is particularly dispiriting to see comments like ' I thought the mods would have picked this up', as at the moment we are working flat out, and are all volunteers, with jobs, families and other commitments. As Christian advises, if you see something you don't like the look of, please alert us by pressing the report button (!). Top right.

Yes I used to be able to come on and browse and chat, now as soon as I log on, I check recent joiners and hoof off the suspicious ones. Many of them never do get chance to post (and it's very satisfying to ban them within minutes of them joining! :twisted: ) So yes, only a small number slip through the net and actually post anything! 8)

Sari that sounds a horrendous situation! I would think you need to be doubly alert on your forum! :shock:

Yes I used to be able to come on and browse and chat, now as soon as I log on, I check recent joiners and hoof off the suspicious ones. Many of them never do get chance to post (and it's very satisfying to ban them within minutes of them joining! :twisted: ) So yes, only a small number slip through the net and actually post anything! 8)

Sari that sounds a horrendous situation! I would think you need to be doubly alert on your forum! :shock:

Am currently dealing with a nasty situation, it's not fun. However, we are thinking of having a Mods G2G....(get together) :mrgreen:

Some other fora have a policy of modding all posts made by new users before they are made visible. It's a bit of a two edged sword as genuine new users (which 99.9% of people are) have the frustration of having their first however many posts modded, but it does seem to help weed out the spammers.

The only thing is, would this create even more work for the mods?

Just to add - you do all do a fab job, I've only seen the occasional dodgy post on here which have been dealt with very very quickly :clap:

Yes, I'd imagine there aren't many people with a "thing" for chicken lovers compared to girl guides :lol::lol: I now have a wonderful image of people hiding (wearing macs - no idea why macs) spying on us looking after our chickens :lol::lol:

Anyway well done mods