quickcluck

maybe a new puppy... updated :-)

Well as some of you know I lost Cooper 3 weeks ago, and am still suffering. Lots of people say to get another dog, which I was insulted by when they said it on the same day he died.

However, 3 weeks on the house is so quiet, and i'm a bit lonely so thinking it may be time for a new companion, and may help with my grief, as I need something to nurture.

So we may go and look at a puppy on sunday..... mixed feelings, but I think it really will help!

Been 10yrs since a puppy tho, think I may have forgotten what to do!

Edited by Guest

It's a bit insensitive when people say it on the day when you've just lost your beloved dog, I agree.

However, it's a tribute to the wonderful relationship you had with Cooper - he's clearly left a large, dog-shaped hole in your life. Somewhere, there is a puppy - or possibly a lonely rescue dog - who would love to come and benefit from the years of dog-owning experience that you have.

Nothing can ever replace Cooper, but a new dog might help to fill that space.

I think it just goes to show how much love you have to give and in no way replaces Copper or his memory. After losing Amber, who was my very precious (cocker spaniel), I said never again. Amber had helped me and the kids through some very difficult times. But a few weeks later the hole was just too big and we got Pebbles, another cocker, who is totally different but we love her all the same even though we still miss Amber and it has been four years now. I think they all bring something different and if you are a dog lover then it's a shame not to share your life. I did feel guilty as if I was replacing her at first but know it was the right decision.

Wish you lots of luck, hope you are feeling a bit better now and look forward to piccies of your new addition when it happens! :)

Thanks...

I don't think I can have another Lhasa... I just love the breed, but think i'd just do too much comparing... so I'm think of more of a cross mutt, that couldn't be more different....

I thought a girl this time, but my mum says to keep an open mind and choose the best pup rather than the sex... she's usually right!

I'd have a girl too, but whoever you choose will be a very lucky puppy and Cooper would NOT want his lovely home to go to waste (trust me, he wouldn't). Trouble is you won't be able to just go and LOOK at puppies, you will almost certainly end up bringing one home (or two!) :whistle::angel:

Aww, i'd say go for it too. When my gorgeous 'mutt' Bess died two years ago, i said 'never again' and also i was working long hours full time so a puppy really wasnt feasible :( However, even after two dogless years, i never got over coming home to an empty house, the walks, and just the cudlly companionship a dog gives.

When we finally decided to get another one, after i had left work, we also wanted the complete opposite of Bess. She was quite large and black and, obviously, a girl.

Through pure chance, and extremely good luck, we got George from a rescue centre. Hes small, mainly white and, obviously, a boy :lol: He is totally and completly my baby, he has brought so much love and laughter back into this house, i have never regretted it for one nano second, even with all the wee and poo and the broken nights sleep when he was very small :lol:

So, i have had boys and girls, they each have their own personalitys and they have all loved nothing more than a snuggle and a cuddle, so i suppose im saying, dont go for boy or girl, more go for which ever one steals your heart.

Ooo bit of a ramble there, sorry :oops: but i wish you all the best for your new puppy and cant wait to see your pictures :dance:

Getting a different pet is not a replacement, but people who are used to the love an animal brings find the quiet tidyness that a pet free home brings hard to bear. i know that we did when our dear old cat Toffee died in 2007, we said that we would leave ourselves pet free for a while to give us more flexibility, but it only lasted for 3 weeks, then we got 2 cats who have totally stolen our hearts.

Each pet leaves a special place in your heart, and each new one gives ongoing love and companionship, and mess and fur and noise :wink:

Well today was the day! We set off early and Ta dahhhhhhh here he is!!! He's a 9 week old Scottiepoo!! Very cute and very full on, I managed to get sicked and poo'd on 5 mins from home :shock::shock: 2 pee's on the carpet and now he's flaked out, so a sleepless night ahead!

I really have forgotten what to do, so any toilet training advice is gratefully recieved!

I took him straight to the vets for a check - paranoid I know, but he has a clean bill of health....

Feeling a tad anxious, but I suppose that's only to be expected, I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow....

Sorry for photo overload! :oops::oops::oops:

100_0850.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

100_0853.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Well... a Scottiepoo, is a Scottie mummy and a miniture poodle daddy. Should get to about 11 inches and around 9kg. His name is Finley!

We had a goodish night - phew! He was in his cage with a bed and pad etc, which of course he'd trashed by the morning!!!

DH was first up so he promptly Pee'd and poo'd everywhere!

Do you put him in his crate in the day when you are in?

He is adorable - Finlay good scottish name - enjoy him and he will soon learn - its all new to both of you - loads more pictures would not be too many please

By the way I used to set the alarm for 5am then get up and let pup out - then set next day for 5.30 and so on till she could last all night - it worked for us.