Chucky Mama

2 Police Dogs die in hot car - again

I can't believe that this has happened again :?:twisted:CLICK I think it was only last year that an officer was prosecuted for leaving 2 dogs to bake to death in a car. These poor dogs were left in a car with not even a window cracked at the weekend in the baking heat. Apparently the officer concerned had a dog die in a hot car 3 years ago and was 'reprimanded' :shock: What these dogs (1 was a puppy) went through before they died doesn't bear thinking about :(

I saw that this morning and had a good rant :roll: I can't believe that a so call 'professional' in the field of dog keeping has made the same stupid mistake TWICE!

In this hot weather, I leave the dogs at home where it is cool for most of the day and take them for walks when it is cooler, either first thing or late in the evening. Any car journeys are kept to a minimum and they have a bowl of ice cubes in the back which they can lick at.

Having re-read the article, I'm not 100% certain it is the same officer who is "guilty" this time, I think the article is talking about two separate officers, but either way, who ever left two dogs in a car on Sunday should have known better, rocket science it is not, dogs die in hot cars - you don't need to be a Police Dog Handler to know that :wall: ! The fact that there was no window open probably didn't make that much difference, I think the temperature in a car rockets on a hot day with or without windows open, the dogs were doomed to their fate due to stupidity of someone who should have known better.

awful. I do feel sorry for the officer tho; I can imagine he might have popped in for something thinking he'd be 2 mins and straight back to the dogs, and then something could have come up. doesnt mean that he shouldnt have gone to get the dogs out before dealing with whatever, but I'm sure he was not being deliberately cruel. I dont condone his actions, but I do feel sorry for him (and those poor poor dogs, of course).

but yes, what claret said about dogs in cars in hot weather - they are much better off in a cool house.

Having re-read the article, I'm not 100% certain it is the same officer who is "guilty" this time, I think the article is talking about two separate officers,

An officer was prosecuted for doing the same thing last year but this is a new case. I can't link to the article as there are some fairly full on comments beneath but here is some of the info:

"Sergeant Ian Craven - head of the Metropolitan Police force's Dog Training Establishment - locked the helpless animals in his vehicle before setting off for a meeting several miles away.

He only remembered the dogs more than an hour later and frantically called colleagues to raise the alarm as temperatures rocketed to 29°C on Sunday.

Belgian Malinois "Ooops, word censored!" Chay and female German Shepherd puppy Tilly were found dying inside his baking car - whose doors and windows were closed...Sgt Craven, 49 - previously disciplined after ANOTHER of his dogs died from over-heating in his car"

The officer has since been sectioned after 'damaging' his wrists.

There are always accidents, I was about to set off on a journey on a hot day and a couple of minutes into the journey I spotted a couple of ears popping up from the boot. The dog has snuck in while I was loading. It could have been a disaster had parked and left the car without spotting her :anxious: I still thank my lucky stars that I saw her. There is no way however that a large dog like this and a puppy could be in the car without you knowing. A couple of years ago at a local garden centre someone left 2 Newfies in a car for 4 hours on the hottest day of the year. It make me want to cry. :(

Apparently this has happened to someone quite recently in the USA but with a child :shock::shock: Dad put child in car to take her to nursery on way to work, child fell asleep, Dad forgot to drop her off, left her in car when he got to work, remembered child I-don't-know-how-long-later but it was too late. It's just too tragic, yes it's avoidable, but as others have said, I can't help but feel a degree of sympathy for those involved as I'm sure it wasn't deliberate.

At first I was shocked that police dog handlers could have done this again, then I felt pity when I read how devastated he was & thought there might be some defence, although what that could be I don't know. Now I read he's got previous for this I don't know what to think.

I am truly shocked.

Just horrible. :( I really fail to see how anyone can 'forget' they have two dogs in a car, especially if your job is a police dog handler! I can't begin to imagine how unpleasant it would have been to have worn a fur coat on Sunday, let alone inside a stiflingly hot vehicle. This makes me so upset.

I live very close to Burghley Park and go to the Horse Trials there most years. It never fails to amaze me how there will usually be at least one 'could the owner of car registration XXX please return to their vehicle, your dog is in distress' announcement over the tannoy. Not only can you take your dog round the course, but should you wish to visit the shops/arena without your dog, there are kennels you can leave your dog in for up to two hours. There really is no excuse at all for leaving your dog in a vehicle on a hot day, if it's that hot then your dog should be at home in the cool, as Claret says, or if out and about, with access to shade, cool water and rest.

the dog breeder press - Dog World and Our Dogs - are always full of stories in the summer months about dogs being left in hot cars. fortunately it very rarely comes to the sad end of these poor police dogs. however, you would think they would know better.

I am not sure this police officer needs to have his life ruined; I think he probably thinks he has done that himself, poor man. I'm sure something must have happened - people who work with dogs like this almost always value their dogs' conditions above their own.

I'm in Cornwall; on Sunday I got in the car at 5pm & it was still 31 degrees; I only had to drive for 20 minutes & it was the most disgustingly hot & uncomfortable journey I think I have ever taken...

Last summer at work we had to call someone back to the car that they'd left their dog in. Their walk of shame did not go unnoticed...

I always worry taking Charlie anywhere in the car when it's hot, as I refuse to leave him in the car for even one moment unless the weather is cool and shady... it means planning carefully so I don't find myself with him in the car, then realise I have to pop into a shop, or stop for petrol, or whatever else... it has happened to me before to be driving with him and the kids, and kids ask to stop here or there for one thing or another and I say ok, then have to say 'wait, no, can't do, Charlie can't go in there and we can't leave him in the car'... I am paranoid about it... this being said, I can imagine that something could happen to a person, that genuinely makes them forget, and while it's stupid and shouldn't happen, and I really feel for the dogs, and wish people were more careful, I also agree that this obviously wasn't done on purpose, and wouldn't wish this guy's life to be ruined... I'm sure he's feeling bad enough as it is, as would the father who lost his child through the same mistake...

My own OH once left our baby in a shop!! He went in the store with the pushchair, and I stayed out with the older kids and walked around the street waiting for him... when he came out and started walking down the street towards me, he had no pushchair... fortunately I was there and asked him where the baby was, and he got the shock of his life, turned around and ran back into the shop, which fortunately was a very small shop and baby was still peacefully asleep, blissfully unaware of having been 'forgotten'... he once forgot her in a hotel room too when going for breakfast, but again I was already out of the room with the older kids and he was supposed to bring her and forgot but no harm done, one minute later he was reminded and got her...

The point I'm trying to make is people make mistake... it sounds unconceivable to forget a child, or a dog, or any such important things, but truth is some people get distracted and are easily forgetful... if they're lucky, someone or something will make them realise their mistake on time.... if they're unlucky they have to live with the consequence of their mistake, and if they feel really bad about it, I wouldn't have the heart to wish them bad...

Now when OH takes the kids anywhere, I ask THEM to keep an eye on HIM!!!

I feel so sorry for the dogs, what an awful way to die but I do have a degree of pity for the officer. Horrible thing to have on your conscience.

We were travelling back on Sunday night and stopped at Clacket services. Cookie was in the back so OH and YS went in to get a take-away whilst I stayed with Cookie with the air-con running. Even so it obviously wasn't reaching the back of the estate as I could see her panting. She came up front with me and sat in the driving seat. Got some very strange looks. I'd hate anything to happen to her.

I think its hard to forget you have a police dog in your car, as they do tend to bark continually, (as they are trained to do) but I have to admit to forgetting my dog one day in the car. I had picked her up from mums, got home and went in the house, then said to my wife about 10 minutes later, wheres the dog? ... only to realise I had left her in the car. My dog makes not one sound in the car, she gets in the boot box without asking, lies down immediately and doesnt even get up when the car is stopped and turned off. Only when the boot opens does she sit up and still she doesnt move until she is told to do so. I trained her that way from a puppy so that car travel would never be an issue. Now I double check I have her all the time.

If its true this guy has done this before he should know better, that said hes clearly upset by his actions. I dont think hes going to be a police dog handler any more. Or even a police officer at this rate if he has self harmed.

I've just read the story in today's Telegraph. it seems he does have previous; 2005 I think it was. the RSPCA were informed but didnt follow up because the police were doing their own investigation. then the CPS decided it was not worth prosecuting and the paper work no longer exists...

I love my dogs to bits, they trust me thoroughly to tend to all their needs.

They are Yorkies and as much as i love them in full coat , as the weather warms up their coat comes off with clippers down to a no 4.....ears and tummies are shaved so they can keep cool.

On Sunday they were clipped and out came the paddling pool for them to lie in as they want, with ice cubes in their water bowl, ( at night they have been in my room with me where i have an air con unit.)

I have not taken them for a walk as it is just too hot even in the evening....till today.

These are my pets.......

Those poor animals, they were his occupation.....You Don't just forget about them when you work with them everyday. He doesn't get any sympathy from me. After his first incident he should not have been allowed to continue as a dog handler but re-deployed into another area of police work.....I hope he is disciplined and not allowed to work with animals again.