hsgardens

automatic door opener/closer for Eglu cube

That is absolutely brilliant and I don't think he should post the instructions! I think you should contact Omlet/Dragons Den/Etc and tell them the idea. As far as I can see the only negative that Omlet Eglus have over wooden coops is the fact that you can't fit automatic door openers. This changes that and could be worth a bit!

Well done to him!

Hi,

Congrats to u both - this looks fantastic and has been said, solves the only draw back to the Eglu , i.e. not able to fit an automatic door opener.

Couple of quick questions- I tend to use a garden hose to give my cube a really good clean- won't water cause rust problems with some of the fittings, not to mention the cordless screwdriver attachment?

Also, I notice some electric cable goes out through the roof (adjacent to the door) across the guttering/"ditch" of the roof- doesn't that cause problems sliding the roof section on & off ?

How do you "detach" the electric cable from the control box (mounted on the fence)- I need to move my cube around 180 degrees to clean it.

Have you posted the instructions ? (Although I agree with everyone- you should patent it or sell it to Omlet!)

Regards, Jenny Smedley

Brilliant design :D My only worry would be squashing a sleeping chook in the doorway. But if there was some shut off sensor now that would be an added bonus.

Good point. We had this problem. No chicken was hurt! Some type of clutch, either mechanical or electronic is important to shut down the motor in the event of any type of binding. I used an electronic clutch. The motor controller gives an analog output that is proportional to the current draw on the motor. The arduino software monitors this input and if it jumps above a preset value, then the arduino stops the motor, sends a message via radio to the indoor computer which emails me that an error has occured. This is detailed on the webpage.