WitchHazel

Downton Abbey - William and Daisy (SPOILERS)

Recorded this yesterday and watched it today.

Was a bit surprised that William died (and sad of course).

Last week, when Daisy was pushed into saying she'd marry him when he got back, I had expected the story to turn out differently. I was anticipating that he'd come back completelt crippled and she'd have to go through with her promise to marry him. This week, when she was pushed into going through with the wedding while he was on his death bed - right up until the point where his Dad said that William had gone, - I really expected him to live.

Anyone else think the same?

All very sad.

I hope that the remaining star crossed couples manage to get a happy outcome at the end of the 3rd series.

Sorry, I thought he died at the beginning initiallly until he was brought home...I didn't really expect him to live; that lovely complexion was due to the gases wasn't it?

I thought that Lavinia would reject Matthew rather than it being the other way around. Poor Mary just can't get it right can she?!

I am really hoping Mr Bates can see Anna right without that horrible wife of his blowing things sky high for the whole family. My betting is that she will meet an unpleasant end under some farm implement 8)

I thought last night's episode was FANTASTIC and the parts showing the fighting in the trenches and the after effects are definitely food for thought. I thought the scenes earlier in the series in the trenches were quite stage set. Last night was very good. Meanwhile, what is going to happen at the end of it all? Can't work any of it out and can't wait to find out. Is Mr Nasty Newspaper Tycoon going to hold Mary to ransom...will she end up with her true love in the end and if yes how?????

OOOOer..will have to look out that book. Yes, I think you are rignt, O'Brien isnt as evil as she was. Mrs Bates is the one at the moment....having said that....I began to think last night, it takes 2 to make an argument so is there another side/twist to the story still to go. Why did she marry initially? She is clearly wealthy and her ex husband isn't ....was he ever and why did they marry in the first place? Was he really that nieve or what was going on??

I caught up with the last 2 episodes last night, the William and Daisy wedding was beautiful. I did feel sorry for Daisy, rather swept along in it all. I imagine that sort of thing probably happened quite a bit, you're keen on someone but they go off to war and you get engaged or married before you really wanted to. I think Daisy softened towards William (not that she didn't like him) during the wedding. Poor thing. :(

O'Brien is a curious mix at the moment as she is so nasty and stirs things up but she obviously 'loves' Cora and doesn't want anything to go wrong for her (guilt over the bar of soap from the other episode I think). I can't believe that Cora could pay so much attention to what O'Brien says :roll: Thomas is just awful and a nasty piece of work.

I hope that things work out for Mary and Matthew and that he has a miracle cure via his mother :D

I have to be a dissenting voice here I am afraid. I don't think this series is a patch on the excellent first series.

There are no real new stories (apart from the war), and we are now 6 years on from the first series.

Matthew appearing singing at the concert just made me laugh as it was so contrived

The maid managing to have a 3 month affair and give birth to a 6 month old baby all in 1918 was just ridiculous

I am finding the Bates saga tedious and how could his wife just walk into Downton - don't they have doors?

I'm sorry , but I think the dialogue is really clumsy and the storylines weak. I am still watching but I wouldn't bother to watch a third sseries.

Very dissapointing

What puzzles me is the names of the "staff" - they are all either known by their christian names (Daisy, William, Thomas etc), or as Mr or Mrs (eg. Mr Carson, Mrs Packmore (sp - I think that's the cook's name) but then O'Brien is just O'Brien, no title, or christian name - I'm curious as to why that might be?

I would also agree though that the second series isn't 100% living up to the 1st, but then it couldn't!

and what about Lord Grantham having a bit on the side??! Looking at the trailer for next week,he seems to be going weak towards the newer maid with the 12 year old son. What a load of rubbish, he is far too strong a character to do that...think the story line is being too dragged out here. Re Bates, as per my last weeks post...there is no smoke without fire. Will the newspaper tycoon be drawn into this and meanwhile, what will happen to poor Mary? Can't have her marrying Mr Meanie. :(

Looking at the trailer for next week :(

I think the trailers are often misleading, shown out of context.

I'm wondering if it is going to turn out that the maid's 12 year old son was his.

I'm betting that she's invented the story about being married and losing herhusband in the war. Or else that's a plot to give the maid who got dismissed (whose name I can't remember) the same idea. Will he perhaps assume Daisy's name and take her war pension?

Did anyone else wish they would change Patricks bandage - the site of the one big eye was spooky. I think its the nurse in me couldnt take it seriously :lol: there was something in the paper re some of the sayings not being around in those times - I spotted what could be another " got to speculate to accumulate" - maybe wrong. I think the unmarried maid and baby will top themselves.

Ooooer, yes that sounds better, the 12 year old son of the new maid being the son of Lord Grantham and then where does that lead in terms of the inheritance of Downton? Yes, thankfully and hopefully trailers are misleading. Tell you what, if all of this doesn't happen, perhaps we can have the Omlet's ersion of Downton. By the way saw a gorgoeus book in my local National Trust shop all about Downton.

Just watched it, enjoyed it. Like the respect it shows to soldiers. It's the only soap I watch and I really enjoy it. I love visiting National Trust houses and lots lost it at war time and eventually became NT because of lost sons. One house has fire damage caused by army that was housed there. Lots of criticism of new series, but it couldn't go into WW1 and stay the same, society changed dramatically. I like how they use Carson to show how attitudes between aristocracy and workers changed. He accepts it less than anyone.

Actually I think the use of the term "soap" is quite apt for this series. The first series was definitely a drama, and an extremely good one. This does feel more like a soap - still watchable but as I said before, disappointing.

Just read this review

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/8846972/What-the-devil-is-going-on-at-Downton-Abbey.html

It sums up my thoughts about this series brilliantly. I really wish I still loved it