:idea: re making the Eglu's identifiable, maybe they could be micro-chipped? Think about it for a minute, caravans have a microchip in their chassis's and I had my brand new saddle micro-chipped by the police too...new owner details can be easily changed on a national database.... just a thought is all?? :idea:

Genius...micro chipping eglu...but how much does it cost?

Yes the pen only shows under uv...but a good thief would I suspect check!

Not sure exactly, will see what the Crime Prevention Officer reckons... I'm Qualified to chip dogs and the last batch of chips I bought in were approx £8 each but that was a few years back now as I no longer breed or show the dogs any more..

Someone posted about chipping eglu's befor - similarly need to do it in the same place for consistency and would have to drill into the eglu to chip it and then seal it to keep the chip in + in place...

Good idea for proving its yours if being sold on by the theif though

There are lots of security marking kits on ebay - I'd mark the inside of the shell, so it can't get weather washed, and maybe the egg port too.

I like the idea of the stickers on the OUTSIDE as it might prevent a theft if people thought they might get caught and/or not be able to sell the eglu on.

H

PS. So sorry to hear this - I suppose she hasn't turned up yet ??

Oh that is just terrible, I am so sorry to hear about this! This also worries me as I live in an area where I doubt anyone even works -.- so if they knew how much the eglu was worth I'm sure that it would go missing (if they could be bothered with all of their bad backs and various other injuries that prevent them from working but still mow the grass/walk the dog).

We are about to have a new WIR put in so again I would hope that would prevent anyone stealing it - we also recently had a security light fiited and put new locks on our gates incase...

I have seen plastic heat marked before - similar to hot ironing cattle - maybe (if there is a company who will do it) it might be worth having a post code/initials/surname heated into the plastic? I guess the only trouble then lies if you sell it/move/get divorced or whatever....at least its a mark?

I would be very interested in having mine marked for security.

I hope you find the people that did this to you and your children.

xx

HI first off so sorry about the girl you lost :( i know my 7 year old son would be beside himself if the girls went missing .

Do you have any pics of your little one with the chock that went missing ?? maby worth printing some off wiht a stolen note and putting them up everywhere it will be someone local i presume for them to know about the eglu ,

Shame them you never know the chicken may have been dumped somewhere and through posters you may get her back :( and even someone out late or earley with a dog may have seen something and didnt know it was bad untill they see a poster .

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words - my daughter is ok thanks, we have kept her away from the WIR so she doesn't think about it.

I think its a good idea for you all to padlock your WIRs (ours wasn't) and to security mark them as you have some proof if it turns up.

I am checking Ebay for new listings of second hand Red Eglus to see what turns up, but even if it does there is nothing to identify it so I wouldn't be able to do anything.

I haven't been on this forum for a long time (work too much etc), but I have to say that you have all been brilliant in your support and I have appreciated everything you have said. I just hope that this sorry episode helps everyone on here avoid a similar fate by taking a few steps to make the life of the criminal that much harder so that hopefully they move on.

Thanks again xx

when I was burgled the first thing I did when I replaced stuff was to mark it very visibly (gloss paint/permenant marker/engraver depending on material) with my surname and the word STOLEN, this would certainly put someone off stealing it and if not that then someone would be put off buying it

It did backfire on me when I put my sat nav on ebay :lol: you have to be pretty sure you'll not be selling the item

Another option with an Eglu is to pass a chain through the side of the run, through one ventilation hole, out of another and back through the run to a washing line post (or similar) and padlock it up.

But I thought they left the run in this case or have i read it wrong.

In the OP it said:

Last night, our Eglu was stolen from our run.
which I took as meaning it was taken from a WIR as opposed to being unbolted and detached from the run.

More recently the OP stated:

I think its a good idea for you all to padlock your WIRs (ours wasn't)

So sorry to hear the old chicken was stolen along with your Eglu Stuart. As everyone has said, print posters and involve the local press, someone might know something. Some nice person might just be looking after "a chicken of fate". :pray:

Eglu security - I did discuss with my auto-electrician friend the possibility of putting a "tracker" in the Cube - the sort they have on posh cars. I also have spoken to Quinn at Omlet. The trouble is, it would require it's own battery. I will speak to my auto-electrician again tomorrow. I do know a friend had one in his JCB that was stolen - the thieves certainly picked the wrong one - it was so satisfying to know exactly where it was - the Police were delighted at such an easy arrest!

You could always replace the Eglu but put a tracker in that one - :think: Sit back and watch them take the bait ....

We went to LAMMA agricultural show last week and there was a stand called "Datatag" which I've only got as far as reading the leaflet, might be worth considering.

I've spoken to my auto-electrician pal about security of a plastic chicken house. He :think: for a bit, then said buy a bicycle GPS tracker cost about £125. I know we shouldn't have to spend that sort of money, but think of the pleasure of catching the thief!

The car tracker version is the size of two fag packets and needs a 12 volt supply. Thief might spot that ...

Hi,

Some thoughts :

1. UV marker pens won't stand up to repeated washings - either use a UV marker pen (somewhere not obvious) then coat with clear, weatherproof laquer or use a permanent marker pen (again somewhere not obvious)- but this will be visible to the thief. Remember to put your postcode & house number on as six houses or more can share a postcode. Use the UV marker pen on all your indoor valuables ( TV, computer etc.) whilst you are doing it anyway. ( Sometimes your local police crime prevention officer will give you a UV pen if you ask nicely) Have a think about how to mark stuff in your shed too- e.g. lawnmower. Police will also tell you where to buy something called "Smar"Ooops, word censored!"er"- that is a liquid security marker- but again it is more for items or locations that are going to stay dry.

2.The chain idea through the ventilation holes & padlocked to something solid is excellent- anything to dissuade them/slow them down or make a noise & alert any dogs nearby. Similarly, padlock any gates or WIRs. Add a bell/windchimes to the inside of your WIR gate so it will make a noise if opened at night. If possible put a solar powered security light there .(My set up doesn't have electricity near it so the solar powered light works well)

3.Take note of any marks, dents etc. that are distinctive to your eglu- my next door neighbour accidently splashed my Eglu with green creosote when he painted our adjoining fence, so I have a couple of marks on the side that no one else will have. If neccessary put an innocuous mark, e.g. splodge of coloured paint , underneath. The police will accept this as your "identifying or distinguishing marks" if they recover your property or you see it for sale anywhere.

4. You can buy an engraving type kit for bicycles & the police used to do it for free for bicycles ( contact your local neighbourhood police officer) whereby your postcode & house number can be stamped into the metal frame e.g. AB56 4TC /9. This may be more suitable for Eglu Cube's with the metal legs.

5. Put a removable (for resale purposes) sticker on your Eglu saying something like "Security Protected"- it will put a thief off , like the dummy alarm boxes. Or even put a dummy alarm box ( particularly the battery ones with a flashing red light) up on your run somewhere obvious. Distinctive stickers will also put them off. Take photos for your records.

6.If you use a microchip (remember to write down the number & keep it safe) or a dog tag ( the little cylindrical ones that you write details on paper , roll it up & screw it inside) put them into the little holes in your eglu where they have been knocked off the machine mould & seal them up with something tough like bathroom/kitchen sealant or Sugru. They can be dug out later if needs be for identification.

7.Report any thefts to the police for several reasons- if they find your property in the future they will be able to return it to you, they may have already found it & are waiting for you to claim it (you'd be amazed how much isn't claimed) and if you claim on your household insurance (Eglus are not cheap & hold their resale value) the first thing the insurance company will want is a Crime Number (which the police will give you). Don't be fobbed off & insist on reporting the theft. Unfortunately thieves do sometimes come back later , after you have replaced things with the insurance money, so be vigilant in the coming months.

8. If anyone "odd" comes around (trust your gut), take some notes ( Time, day, date ,place, what they looked like & any car numbers). If they don't steal from you , they probably will from your neighbour.

9. Use all publicity- contact the press who may be interested in a "quirky" story. Put up flyers. Talk to your neighbours who may have seen something. Keep watch on Ebay, Pre-Loved etc. or at any car boot fairs. Put it in your local parish magazine & sites like Facebook. Tell them at the local post office- in my village they are the font of all knowledge & the quickest way to pass on any information! Have a walk around your area - you may just spot it in someone's garden!

Sorry for the length of this posting but it is so upsetting when you lose your hens- they are part of the family . And yes, I'm a retired police officer!

Hi , To make Eglu's more identifiable to prevent theft

As a follow on from the thread "Theft of an Eglu" - maybe this would be something for Omlet to consider? As we all know , Eglu's, much as we love them, aren't cheap but are a major investment and keep their resale value really well - just look at the prices second hand ones fetch on Ebay!

They could make it something already built into the Eglu by Omlet when they sell them, like a unique serial number, melted into the plastic housing on the outside. Or the serial number could be stamped/engraved on one of the metal parts of the Eglu. You could have an Omlet sticker saying " I'm Security Protected" to put on your Eglu, run or gate to deter thieves & make it even more obvious that your Eglu is identifiable..

The new Eglu owner could not only keep a note of their own serial number, but as a further step, a register could be kept either by Omlet ( for a small one off fee) or on the Forum & maintained by members. It would be a good deterrent for thieves- who is going to steal something that identifiable?

It wouldn't be a problem if you sold on your Eglu as the register could easily be amended by both parties. Also if an Eglu was stolen it could be flagged up ,so everyone was aware or if you had your suspicions, when you were thinking of buying a second hand one, you could check with the register.

Or what about something that could be added on after you purchased your Eglu such as a microchip or container (that you could put a piece of paper with your unique serial number details inside- similar to the small, cylindrical, screw top dog tags). It could be inserted into the small holes that are left when the Eglu is knocked off the machine moulds & sealed in. Again a register could also be kept. If you sold your Eglu the new owner & seller could have the register amended . This method could also be used by the thousands of people who have already bought an Eglu and could be sold by Omlet ,online ,as a kit, with a unique serial number.

What do people thinK?

1.Unique Serial Number (USN) melted in the plastic housing of the Eglu?

2.Unique serial number stamped/engraved onto a metal part of the Eglu?

3.Some sort of small container , with U.S.N., inserted into Eglu hole & sealed?

4.List of USN's registered & maintained by Omlet?

5.List of USN's registered & maintained by Forum?