Just be aware that if you replace it they may come back! I've heard thieves sometimes do this in a month or so as they reckon that gives you enough time to make an insurance claim and replace the goods!

I do hope your chicken is hiding somewhere and you find her - poor little thing!

That's terrible :( I agree with others, someone must have done their research to find out how much an eglu was worth and planned the theft. I hope you and your family are okay, especially your daughter, not an easy thing to understand at her age- or mine! :( xx

There used to be a security pen you could buy which was invisible but showed under ultra violet light...I had one years ago and postcoded things like laptops etc. I will try to get another and postcode my eglu on the inside. If anyone else knows where to get one please post

I know which pens you mean, but I wouldn't know where to find one :? Do you think they would work in all weathers though? (I suppose you could write it on the inside :think:) My eglu's not in a WIR either so I'd be interested in some way of marking it.

Cant believe it - will be spray painting mine tommorrow inside and out (where hens cant get to it) hope you find your hen, for your little girls sake. i think making Practical Poultry aware is a good idea. Anyone new come round recently - window cleaners, builders in neighbouring gardens?? My friend had her bike nicked not long after having a new window cleaner. what colour was it?

Don't know if your local constabulary still does it (budget cuts and everything :roll: ) but if you speak to your local crime prevention officer, they used to give out the security pens, free.

I know I got some security marking "freebies" at Freshers Week and that included a pen.

Just a thought, the worst they can say is "No".

Cant believe it - will be spray painting mine tommorrow inside and out (where hens cant get to it) hope you find your hen, for your little girls sake. i think making Practical Poultry aware is a good idea. Anyone new come round recently - window cleaners, builders in neighbouring gardens?? My friend had her bike nicked not long after having a new window cleaner. what colour was it?

What sort of paint would you use? Because it's a plastic type material, which would you use to ensure that it can't simply be wiped/s"Ooops, word censored!"ed off?

Absolutely no idea - i used that gold spray on the dustbin to put our number on it so neighbbours couldnt say it was theirs and its still on (6yrs later) - will have to think about this and dont want to endanger my girls - anyone any ideas and has anyone marked their Eglu.

yep thats an idea. will see what we have lurking in garage. Our Eglu and run are pinned down with tent pegs (grass has grown over them ) so hopefully anyone trying to nick would take half the lawn too - making it more difficult. OH wouldn;t be happy at loss of his precious lawn mind.

Having read this last night when it was first posted and knowing I was picking up a second-hand Classic today (bought from a fellow forum member I hasten to add!) I have to admit to taking on "cold war" style prevention tactics when I got home with it! Cloaked in a HUGE tarp and with many pairs of eye's watching out for "suspicious" activity whilst said Classic was moved from my truck into the sanctuary of my house I don't think that we were seen....

On a more serious note you can get a permanent UV marker pen here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Permanent-Ultra-Violet-Security-Marker-Pen-UV-Ink-Pen-/150566575618?pt=UK_BOI_Office_Office_Supplies_Stationery_ET&hash=item230e779e02#ht_1280wt_1037

I'm certainly getting a couple!!!!

Sorry to hear about your eglu and hen :(

There are lots of security marking kits on ebay - I'd mark the inside of the shell, so it can't get weather washed, and maybe the egg port too.

**Security Property Marking Kit with Ultraviolet blacklight UV LED lamp torch** - £3.95 on ebay

property-marking-kit-desc2.jpg

If everyone who is going to mark theirs did it in the same place it would then be easy to tell Police where it was marked or check if its stolen when buying... Just a thought!

So sorry :( what a horrid thing to happen.... :( Really hope your girl turns up :pray:

While we were doing some work in the alley way, someone walked past and saw the chickens and commented that someone on the opposite road had their coop & hens stolen :? So since then I have been putting a padlock on the WIR, just in case. I've also been tempted to purple spray the grey bit under the eglu.

... but you'll be selling it and can explain to the buyer, who presumably will be collecting it from that address, or a similar area. The same thing applies to bicycles.

The point about the postcode is that if an Eglu is stolen and then you see one that looks remarkably similar being sold on eBay near you, the security marking might prove that it was yours. Also, if it's abandoned or recovered by police, they can use the postcode to try and track you down.

Have ordered the security pens - any news on your girl? I think you need to look closely as to what is going on around the neighbourhood - builders in properties nearby . We had a heavily disguised (so ridiculous) guy touting for window cleaning a couple of Sundays ago - my friend was burgled same afternoon and he had been round their cul de sac. ok may not be linked but I just felt he was creepy and friends teenage daugter said the same thing and she didnt know what I had said. Its got to be someone with inside knowledge. Builders often use casual labour.

i agree if your eglu is going to get stolen then it is better to mark it up than not to. if it doesnt work then at leaset you have tried. Im paranoid about my Eglus, moreso the chickens than the houses. I live in a very quiet rural area but we have a canal tow path on the other side of next doors fence which gets a lot of traffic.