Chortle Chook

Facebook - how much do you use it, if at all?

I have just joined Facebook as I wanted to be able to see the posts for a greyhound rescue and walking group that I join up with from time to time. I'm a bit amazed by quite how public it is. Even those who restrict posts to their friends seem to have 54+ friends. :shock: Somehow this forum seems much warmer and more friendly. Though it is clearly visible to all I don't think too many 'wanderers' would be on here if they had no interest at all in critters and it is well policed by the mods who remove anything cross and nasty. There doesn't seem to be anything like this sort of moderation for Facebook which seems sort of superfical and cold by contrast. I can't see myself using my Facebook account all that much and certainly not for getting the sort of warm support I've had on here :think:

How much do you use it and what for?

I just use it to follow a few groups just as you have and to keep in touch with my daughter and her acting when email and texts prove fruitless.

I agree with you it is not for me really but then I'm not a teenager.

I ignore most friend requests even from family.

If you want a horror story about Facebook just watch yesterday's Panorama on iPlayer.

You don't need to be a teenager to enjoy Facebook!

I love it & use it a lot.

I play Scrabble,have a book group page & chat to my daughter at uni using the message app.

My friends range from family,old school friends,work mates & some Omleteers too,although I did have a recent cull & lost people who I have never met or who I don't really interact with.

I also like the wall posts from companies I am interested in.

It is easy to make it as private or as public as you like too.

You don't need to be a teenager to enjoy Facebook!

:D Of course not.

I would have to be a teenager to enjoy the superficial claptrap that is so common but like you say the enjoyment comes with access to the groups you choose.

I suppose I should look at my personal settings to filter out what I don't want to see but quite frankly I wouldn't know where to start :oops::oops:

Yes I think that is the case with me too. I'm not sure how to keep things low key / a bit more private. So far I only have about 5 friends on there who are real, not virtual friends, but I found to my horror this morning that every time I changed anything on my profile they all got an email to say what I'd done. :oops: How can I stop that from happening? They didn't mind, but I don't want to be spamming people each time I enter a favourite book or film.

I use it quite a lot, good for arranging events and chatting to people.

Although the security does annoy me, I used to have high privacy settings but they keep changing things around as if they want your profile to be accessible to everyone.

Cheaky Chook - I think that's down to their settings, not yours.

I have a Facebook account, for me there are three types of 'friends' on there, (1) real friends who I know what is going on in their lives without FB, (2) people that I used to get on very well with but have moved away so it is a good way to keep in touch and (3) school friends or work mates that I got on all right with, but I wouldn't ring, meet up with or e-mail etc.

I have full privacy settings on mine, only friends can see my posts, I have no pictures of me (the dog and hens are better looking), people can't tag me in pictures and I update my status only when I have done something interesting not every time the weekend comes and I say 'yay - weekend' or similar :lol:

I think some people can become very obsessed with it. It has its uses but check your privacy settings. I've looked for friends before, who might have a picture of a pet etc rather than them, gone onto a profile of someone who wasn't my friend but had the same name and could read all of their posts, see their contact details and that they were off on holiday etc.

I am a FB addict :oops:

I have a sister in law who I'm sure is much worse :lol:

I get about a hundred notifications a day from her inviting me to some daft online game. She must play in her sleep. It beats me how some people find time to do living stuff!

I spend enough time here and on a bee forum to feel some shame about it...heaven knows :roll::roll:

Having said that it's sometimes the only way I can check my daughter is still about.

I blame the laptop computer. At least you have to make an effort to use a desktop and can't watch tele/read a book/use the phone/cook at the same time :roll:

I get about a hundred notifications a day from her inviting me to some daft online game. She must play in her sleep. It beats me how some people find time to do living stuff!

Just block the game or app.

its really simple - when it shows on your wall,click near the top right corner & you will be able to block yourself from ever hearing ebout it again.

Is it Farmville? :roll::P:lol:

Similarly,go to your settings & set it so you get no email notifications....I can talk you through it if you like :D

Just block the game or app.

its really simple - when it shows on your wall,click near the top right corner & you will be able to block yourself from ever hearing ebout it again.

Is it Farmville? :roll::P:lol:

Similarly,go to your settings & set it so you get no email notifications....I can talk you through it if you like :D

Oh Cinnamon thank you thank you thank you.

I've managed the first and will have a go at the second.

Farmville, is one of them....she has about ten on the go

I use it to see what my friends and other people at school are up to. It is my main source of information of finding people and their business, which is why I never put any statuses up. I mainly use it to speak to my family and look at their photos, and talking to some friends. I use mainly twitter, as it seems more private, and you can meet so many amazing people on there :D

I have a look on FB daily but only post things occasionally that I think might be funny or interesting (I may not always be right :oops: ). I used to play Farmville but it was taking over my life so I just gave it up and went cold turkey :lol: . The only game I play now is Scrabble (which I'm kind of addicted to but I justify it by telling myself it's educational!).

Most of my "friends" are Omleteers but I often struggle to remember who they are on the forum!

I use it daily, more than once a day. Firstly, it's a great way to keep in touch with family, in particular my nieces - one has just posted pictures of her brand-new baby boy with his big sister, which is lovely; another has just posted a picture of her new haircut - I wouldn't necessarily want to get an email from her saying she's cut her hair, but this way I can see it, and choose to comment or not. I don't change my status very often (I so agree with whoever posted above about people who post every Friday with 'Great - it's the weekend' :lol: ) but occasionally I like to say what I'm doing.

I also have 'real' friends on there, these are people I see weekly or more often, and I know what they are doing but sometimes it's nice to have a joke, post a picture, or see what they are up to when they are out and about.

And then I have another layer of friends, the ones I see infrequently, it's nice to see pictures of their families/know what they've been up to, but I rarely comment on their posts. I have blocked most of the games like Farmville; you can also choose whether you see every status update, or just occasional ones. I don't accept every 'friend' request, either, and I NEVER accept work colleagues!

Please remember that, friendly as this forum seems, it is open to ANYONE to read, not just your friends! The internet is a marvellous and amazing tool, but as said above, use it - don't let it use you.

I love FB. I keep in touch with my friends who all have very busy lives (new babies, jobs with odd hours etc) otherwise I'd never know if they were okay or what they were up to. I do still get to see them, or my best friend, at least once a week. I have my settings on high. If you tried searching for my name, it wouldn't come up. My kids have the same settings. I feel FB and my posts are much more private than things I post up on here. But, I do find it warmer on here and much more of a community. I think if you are going to use things like FB, it's a good idea to read the help pages, Google questions about things your are not sure of as someone out there will know what to do :D

I have an account and the grand total of 6 friends 2 of which are my children, one is a work colleague one the husband of an old friend who has FB because he comes from a large spread family, and 2 forum members.

I only joined when I got a smart phone with a facebook app. I was hoping that the Omlet bookgroup would still be up and running on there after moving from NB, but we have the book discussion group now which is less regimented but still gets me reading different books. It is not really for me, but it is quite fun seeing what people have been upto, my work colleague was very embarrassed when her dad tagged her in loads of photos from her childhood, we got a whole new insight into her personality :lol:

I'm on Fb and enjoy keeping up with friends, family and fellow omleteers (*waves* to Liz). I do worry that I post too much sometimes. I keep thinking, no I'm not going to put anything on for a few days and then lo and behold, I post :roll:

I've a work colleague who emigrated first to Hong Kong, then to Switzerland that I only used to write to at Christmas as a catch up but now we're connected by Fb so can be in regular contact. I enjoy that. Also with extended family, we don't get together but I at least feel as if I know some of what is going on in their lives.

I did delete one young nephew though as his posts were just too :oops: