Chortle Chook

Facebook - how much do you use it, if at all?

I hated Facebook with a venom and refused to have an account. Then a few months back someone pointed out to me all the chicken groups on there. I now use it like I do other forums.

On my own page I don't really post pictures of me and definitely none of my family. I do post lots of chicken photos though. :lol:

I have made lots of friends on there but I like others have groups of chicken friends, close real friends, family etc. Not everything is visible to all.

So am I addicted to Facebook? - at the moment yes. If there were no chicken pages on there then I wouldn't bother with it. :)

I use it to keep up with siblings and cousins I wouldn't normally see often (because we've busy lives and they don't live close, I'd like to see them more). I often have a brief chat with my nephews on facebook as well.

another has just posted a picture of her new haircut - I wouldn't necessarily want to get an email from her saying she's cut her hair, but this way I can see it, and choose to comment or not.

I like this aspect, it's weird how an email from them with these updates would be too much but a status update is not :lol:

I do find it weird when my next door neighbour mentions something because she's seen a facebook update from me. :D

I have my setting fairly private and only have relatives and real friends (neighbour included) as facebook friends.

I started using it so I had an idea how people used it before my kids got into it in a big way.

I opened a FB account last year when I couldn't get an email reply from an uncle in America and I guessed he was ill. Any other relatives over there are fairly elderly and don't use email but I trawled FB looking for his nephews on his late wife's side - fortunately they have unusual names and I found them. I was able to send a message to my uncle in hospital before he died.

I have set my privacy settings and don't post very much on it at all and have no photos on it, just keeping up with others really. I did use it to post about Lauren as I realised that most people on here who asked how she was doing were on FB and so it saved me from boring everyone else on here!

What I can't quite get my head round is the business that if you say something to a friend all of their 125+ 'friends' (someone who has contacted me has 326!!) can see it too. :shock:

I can see it as a way to keep up with people one would otherwise only contact with a card at Xmas, but I can't quite see it as a means of chatting to real friends. Anything you post you are effectively writing on a post it and putting on a wall in an underground station (i.e. a place of mega tramp through) - and then putting your signature and photo to it. :roll: Fine for pix of chooks and dogs and snow and even new hair cuts but not for things like a death or an illness or anything you need real suppport for.

Isn't there a setting for "friends of friends" which you can use to prevent your posts being seen by them?

Yes,you can set who you want your posts to be seen by,so it doesn't have to go to everyone.

I love Facebook. It's brilliant for shift cover at work & keeps me in touch with many people who would have otherwise just not been in my life any more. I am friends with 5 or 6 ex boyfriends of my daughters,who I am very fond of,plus the parents of 2 of them.

When my Mum died I found the support from my Facebook friends really valuable.

I am a person who finds it difficult to meet new people & who finds social occasions hard. Facebook bridges that gap for me :D

I have friends and family all over the world and find this an excellent way to keep up with them! England, Ireland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, USA, Australia, think that's it!

Plus work colleagues - we all work shifts so I can go weeks without seeing some of them, it's nice to know what's been going on! Plus we shut down for the winter months and don't see each other for weeks!

You can keep these groups seperate if you want or mix them up - some of my friends ahve made friends with each other through mutual interests - but have never met! It's a bit like penfriends without the postal delay!

I am on Facebook and love it too. But I rarely post things for everyone to see, I use lists of friends so I control who can see what. Anyway, 'regular' people wouldn't care for chicken-updates! :lol:

I am friends with a few people from this forum but I have to admit I am not 100% sure of who's who... we should just stick to our usernames! :lol:

I am a FB addict :oops: I only joined as my daughter wanted to and I wanted to see what it was like. I play games on there as well and have friends, work colleagues and people who just play games as 'friends'. I have friends in France and Netherlands, family in Austria - I love it. :D

Oooh really? You play games? I didn't know! Bit like never seeing Christian on there too I suppose. :liar::wink:

Yes - I'm one sad person who plays a few games! Bah who wants to do housework? I wanna playyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! So why did I start using it? Probably because DD was playing games and I used to help her when she couldn't go on, so thought I'd have my own. I guess I use it more for that and less of the announcements - although I sure add to friends when I can. Mwahahaha! Not sure I liked my nutty Canadian cousin posting pics of me with her stupid toy rabbit that she is obsessed with though. Now she did get miffed when I refused to be Peter Whiterabbit's friend (and you are not supposed to have toys as a person either). Luckily her brother backed me up!