lindafw

Please may I have a RANT?

Blooomin 'ek...and similar not so salubrious phrases!!!!!

Have just been to the Dr as i have had a cough on and off since Christmas. You (esp you working in schools) know how it is...you get ill at Christmas and go back to work still ill, by the time half term comes round you realise you are still ill and now have a cold to boot. As my chest is tight and sore I decided to pay the Dr a visit...and he said............

Get some fresh air :doh:

Drink fluids :doh::doh:

try not to cough :evil:

I must have looked at him like he was a twit!! I am an adult, and I know I need to drink fluids, I know fresh air will help me and as for not coughing..well obviously I cough because I LIKE the way it hurts!!!!!!!

He then asked me if I would LIKE a short course of antibiotics :shock: .. I asked if I NEEDED them...he hummed and hawed and then asked if I felt as if I was getting better :roll: ...well really ...if I was getting better I wouldn't have made an appointment :twisted: . Took the antibiotics and came home

RANT over.....thanks for listening

My apologies to anyone in the medical profession

((get well soon))

This does not surprise me in the least. Funnily enough, in a lecture last week, the lecturer was saying how student Dr's only receive one lecture on talking to patients :shock: Now, considering how much of their time is spent on "customer" interaction, that is astonishing (which is why he brought it up!).

In my professional opinion, do take the anti-biotics; do not drink alcohol, do not pass go and do not collect £200.

Yours sincerely

Mum

CEO of Family Inc.

Rant away! I'm not surprised you're ranting because the advice you were given is such a load of pants! :roll: A couple of years back I had sinusitis and after the second month of suffering with it, I went back to the Doc and saw a Locum. She had another patient's details up on the screen instead of mine, she answered her mobile during my consultation and she was just downright rude :evil: Anyway, I asked her for a course of antibiotics as I was really suffering and couldn't sleep at night because my head hurt so much but she told me to go home and stick my head over a bowl of just boiled water :shock: I left the room in tears as I felt so bad :cry: I made an appointment with a different Doctor and slowly got better with the help of a course of antibiotics! :roll:

Hope you feel better soon *hug*

Crikey, Cheeky Chooky! ... Even my 16yo would have recommended at least one paracetamol for the headaches rather than a bowl of water!!! (And would know better than to answer his mobile during a conversation :shameonu: ).

Edited to remove attempt at "humour".

Edited by Guest

I work in a Drs so you have my sympathy. i went with similar symptons and the doctor who is normally good asked me 3 times if I smoked. The third time i got a bit peeved and said "you;ve already asked me that and I said no" he then asked me what i thought he should do? As an asthmatic (also asthma trained nurse) i told him i felt a short course of steriods might help as I had been told antibiotices wouldnt help. Got a 3 day supply and turned a corner after 4 weeks of constain coughing and dragging myself into work.

Most GPs are good - some lack a bit of common sense and a few have off days - strikes me yours was one of those. Get well soon

Crikey, Cheeky Chooky, since when did "Locum" stand for "imposter"!!!?????? :shock:

Where has CC written that? :?

She didn't - it was me having a pathetic attempt at humour? - because that is what the person sounded like based on the description she gave. Purely rhetorical. Apologies! Clearly it was a mistaken attempt at humour and I shall edit it to extract it.

Crikey, Cheeky Chooky, since when did "Locum" stand for "imposter"!!!?????? :shock:

Is that your MOd head speaking, Christian? I may have it wrong, but I interpreted Mum's comment as a sympathy joke: shocked at CC's experience and was suggesting that the person who was the Locum was so bad they must surely have been an imposter.

Is that your MOd head speaking, Christian? I may have it wrong, but I interpreted Mum's comment as a sympathy joke: shocked at CC's experience and was suggesting that the person who was the Locum was so bad they must surely have been an imposter.

Thank you, WitchHazel, that was precisely how the comment was meant. I've edited nonetheless; methinks I have gained a a reputation in certain circles which is actually quite contrary to the type of person I actually am. Perhaps my writing style needs rethinking? :wink:

Ho hum: at least one person understood the sentiment and didn't take it the wrong way.

:lol: we'll fall out over anything.

I do think communication (DR /patient not forum members :roll: ) should be an important part of the consultation but I would also applaud a GP who held back on giving antibiotics at first consultation unless the clinical symptoms indicate it. It will only shorten the length of some respiratory illnesses by less than a day. He should have listened to your chest at the very least.

It is also recommended not to give antibiotics as first line treatment for sinus problems now and the advice of using steam to clear sinus congestion is sound. *ducks and runs*. Having said that I head straight for the decongestants, blow steam :lol:

I sympathise - a few months ago I had a nasty virus but also an upper respiratory tract infection and had already been off work for a week. I went to my GP who, granted, signed me off for another week as I clearly wasn't fit to go back yet. She did at least sound my chest and said that I probably did need antibiotics for the respiratory bit (especially as I'm also asthmatic) but then spoiled it all by telling me to keep the antibiotic prescription for another week and if I wasn't any better to start taking them!! But she didn't offer another med cert to sign me off work for that other week given that I was probably not going to be any better!!!!

Needless to say, due to my knowledge of my respiratory infection (I'll spare the gory details), I started them right away!!!!

Oh, and I'm also a nurse so reckoned I wasn't too far off the mark with my self-diagnosis!

You have to wonder sometimes ........ :?

It would seem that here are always a few who manage to pass the exams having missed all the lectures about communication/patients have brains etc etc.

I saw one like the one you mention, 11 years ago with YS. He was a locum as our own GP was on a sort of sabbatical. To cut to the point, several appointments with very poorly son over the course of 2 months ended up with a self-diagnosis via internet on my part. I made a final appointment insisting that he refer us to the hospital immediately. He asks why, I list my reasons, i.e. symptoms that YS matched. He then says LOUDLY in front of YS(8 at the time) ' so YOU think he has a brain tumour. I glare back, trying to cover YS's ears at the same time and state YES :evil: I am going to complain and go to another practice if I have to etc etc - really very angry at this point. Anyway, he concedes and as I am sure you can guess I was right. YS underwent emergency surgery less than 5 days later. Is fine now btw :D

Apologies to any doctors out there - I know a lot of brilliant ones! My own GP, was very apologetic and came to see us in hospital saying that the two things he tries so hard to teach his younger colleagues are a) listen and choose your questions carefully and b) trust/credit a mother's intuition they tend to know their children better than anyone.

It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, respect and be respected.

I an asthmatic. When I was about seven a docter gave me a peak flow meter to blow in. I couldn't move it. Doc told Mum to take me straight to hospital because if I couldn't move the peak flow then I shouldn't be alive ( bare in mind I had skipped down the path to the surgery). Spent the morning at the hospital, only to be told, doc had given me the adult peak flow instead of the child's one. :doh: Doesn't inspire confindence, does it?

In contrast, at about fourteen a doc told mum to not to worry about sending me to school the following day while she took my brother to a university open day. Not convinced, she took me too and stayed with me while my brother looked around alone. During the day I was so out of breath, she said I was walking like a ninty year old. I lasted out the day but she took me to 'primary care' in then evening when we got home. They sent me sent home twice before finally admitting me to hospital. By this time my oxygen sats were so low they put me on oxygen for 24 hours.

Needless to say Mum was :twisted: What would have happened if she had blindly followed the doctors instructions?

N

Wow Terri what a story. Glad that the not-so-little-one-now is fit & healthy.

My current GP is fantastic. She is only young, very approachable & diagnosed my eldest son's HSP last year immediately & sent us straight up to the hospital. When we saw her about it later on she said she had felt bad about sending us to A&E on New Year's Eve :lol:

Last week 3 out of 4 family members went to see her at different times over different things, & she didn't go like this :roll: to any of us :D She's lovely.

It depends on which doctor you see as to how you feel emotionally about the whole experience of being ill/getting better/treatment etc. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

It doesn't inspire confidence does it :roll:

When my grand-daughter Lauren was in hospital last month the orthopaedic consultant sent physios to get her out of bed and walking - they arrived with crutches and a walker.......Lauren had had both shoulders dislocated the previous night and I'd had to relocate one as the A&Eregistrar hadn't been able to do it , the other was still dislocated and because her back had gone again, her legs were paralysed. How they thought she was going to use crutches or a walker with a dislocated shoulder and without being able to bear weight or stand up at all I don't know :shock:

I sent them packing before they did any damage :evil: