jjmack

Florida in Oct

Hiya,

need some help and advice. We have decided its time to brave Disney. The children are now 12,9 and 5 and so should suit all. Aiming to go last 2 weeks in Oct. But where do I start, it is a mine field.

Quite fancy villa with pool - but will it be warm enough in Oct to use the pool?

Do we go with a package or sort our selves?

Do i pre book tickets?

Do we hire a car?

Do we go to the parks one day then relax the next, or parks for 1/2 day then relax in afternoon?

Obviously Disney, sea world and harry potter on our list but what about the space place (is it EPcot?) and what else should we go for?

I have absolutely no idea where to start!

Help!!!!!!!!

I haven't been to Florida but I might be able to help you with some stuff :)

It will be warm enough to use the pool, it will probably be at least 70F.

A package may be cheaper, but if you do it yourself you will have more choice.

Try and find out how busy it was last year, if it was really busy I'd pre-book tickets.

Depends on how far you want to go and how good public transport is.

I hope this helps :)

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure is a must - better than Epcot in my opinion.

You will need a full day at the parks to get the most for your money.

We did a park day, then had a day chilling.

Clothes are very cheap - make sure you leave time for shopping!

Hiya!

Woohoo!! Lucky you....my husband and I visited 20 years agoish BEFORE KIDS! We have just booked to go next year in March 2013 with our children who by then will be 14 and 10. I have done the minefield of the booking a holiday bit. Before I start.....I would check out when the hurricane season is.....I think it is Sept/Oct in which case you won't want to be there. Last time we visited just after Hurrican Andrew had been through and that was an experience in itself!

I have picked a friend's brains about where to go with kids etc. The one thing I found out is the parks and some hotels charge you @$15 to park a car. We have booked direct with Virgin who so far I have found to be good and we got a deal in their January sale plus a further discout too :D Ideally, we would have done 1 week in Orlando and 1 week somewhere else in probably Florida. However with a 10 year old in tow, who gets tired, we have decided to do 2 weeks at Orlando in one place. For ME personally (and no one else in the family!!! I have booked a hotel so NO COOKING for 2 weeks.) Our plan is to take it easy, so a day or so in the parks and then a day or so relaxing. I have heard there are long queues at the parks to purchase tickets, so we will make sure we have ours already.

On the food front I understand the parks remain expensive to eat it, at present we have no car booked. Staying at a hotel where the food in the evening isn't cheap so we might yet add a car into the package so we can go out in the evening to cheaper places. Our hotel doesn't charge us for parking.

A friend has advised us to take to types of credit card. If you need hospital treatment, you need to pay for it before it happens or NO TREATMENT, even in an emergency as she found out with her son!

If I think of anything else, I'll post it here. Might be up for picking your brains after your visit!

If you are booking a hotel to avoid cooking, you could just as easily book a villa with pool. The ones we had were stunning, and we still ate out every evening and most breakfasts because it's so cheap! Or you can get a takeaway delivered - we used to find that the portions were so enormous they would do for two evening meals! :lol:

Personally I agree with Snowy regarding a villa, if you have young children it's lovely to have the extra room that a villa gives you rather than being cooped up in a room, the kids can go to bed after a long day leaving you to stay up, they usually come with a heated pool in a sort of netted off enclosed area so no insects. We had timeshare years ago and went to Florida many times In the days of cheap flights and found eating out just so cheap, we did a park and then had a rest day. Went a couple of years ago in October, had lovely weather and parks quieter as US kids back to school.

Regarding a car we always upgraded to a mini van, feels much safer as you are higher up and think you will need transport of some sort. Unless you are in villa/hotel on International Drive where you can walk to different restaurants you will need one to get around.

Have fun planning!, I love booking and planning holidays. :)

Re the hotel versus villa/apartment bit, my husband really really really (you get the picture ha ha ha.... wanted a villa/apartment because of the space issue. I on the other hand did not want to think at all of what I was next going to have to buy from the shop/get food for etc. So as I was booking it, I was in charge....hahaha!! As we have a daughter who will by then be nearly 15 and my son who will be 10, sharing a bed is not an option really for them.....as most hotels do 2 x queen beds in one room. I have managed to find a hotel which does a parlor suite with 3 beds parlour, 2 bathrooms and wet bar with only a slightly higher price. It is just what you really want to do really.

Even if you don't book with Virgin, the staff are very helpful.......they have all been out there (well the ones I spoke to had) and could advise from personal experience, especially with regard to location too. eg, we were planning to stay next to a huge shopping mall which then ED would have spent all holiday in, so that was very handy to know. I also used trip advisor to read the reviews, but you do have to take them with a pinch of salt a some people will complain about anything. I am very excited for you.....it did seem like a full time job for about 10 days when I was booking it. I was very grateful to a girlfriend who had just got back as that was helpful.

We have been three times but not since 2002.

We always hired a villa from here , rung and booked, always cheaper than renting from UK people. we went 3 times in may/june and weather was lovely with little rain.

we bought flydrives, wouldn't have been without a car, roads were easy to navigate and well sign posted .

The park carpacks were expensive , don't know what they cost now.

Places to visit:

Seaworld (used to do a free extra return day ticket at off peak times),

Disney parks, Epcot being my least favourite, though hubby liked it kids got a bit bored there. We ate light lunch at them then restaurants in evening, never ate anything but breakfast in villa. For a treat we did a character meal we all enjoyed that expecially the one in the large conservatory type building at Magic Kingdom

Silver springs was a lovely relaxed day out.

we are not big shoppers but spent a couple of days looking :) Parks were every other day if you want to get your moneys worth and spend long days there.

We bought disney 5 day tickets from a seller who came to villa recommended by villa owner.

My best trip out we did the last year was to here:

http://www.bcairboats.com/

now i'm not the bravest person when it comes to roller coasters which there aren't as many as people think, there are many many other rides suitable for all ages. But i loved this and went back for a night ride on the airboat, best bit was when the man driving/steering turns off the lights and for a few seconds you are in pitch black :D

any other questions please ask, might be a bit out of date but ha 3 kids the first year they were 7, 8 and 11

Oh yes as abwsco and Meezer say you have to visit the DIBB Forum!! 8), I came on here this time last year as I was booking our first ever holiday to Florida for last Christmas and New Year! and it was recommended to me.

We had such a fantastic time last Christmas we are going again this Christmas!! I have booked everything DIY this year and rented a villa from one of the Forum members on the DIBB. Some of the Villa owner/renters have some great villas for a really resonable price with loads of extras included. This year we have a villa on the 192, close to loads of restaurants and near to disney, free wifi and computer to use there, free international phone calls, handy for xmas day wishes, pool table, foos ball table, playstation, xbox in kids rooms, towels pool towels included, Not that we spend much time in the villa. As for shopping, we just stock up on drinks snacks, fruit etc and then eat out. the food is fantastic. loved Applebees and TGI Fridays. We spend one week in Orlando and do not stop until we drop, then we are heading out to Anna Maria on the gulf coast for out chill on the beach week, where we have rented direct through a rental company on the island. We have a beach bungalow just along from Anna Maria pier. When we stayed there last New Year we scouted the island for the nicest places, but its all beautiful!

You will love it, but really check out the DIBB as there isnt any subject that cant be advised on!! 8)8)

Don't forget it's still the hurricane season in October and Florida often gets hit or is near.

Jackie

I've been twice in October/November , great time of year to go weather wise and apart from half term week the parks are less busy. Hurricane season runs from June- November ( I think) but hurricanes rarely affect Orlando- it's inland so the parks would be closed maybe for a day and then all back to normal.

Have you had a look at the dibb yet? Introduce yourself and say you've come from Omlet so abwsco and I can recognise you :D

We went about 7 years ago and rented a villa with pool from someone who worked with hubby. We stayed there for 7 days and did the parks virtually non-stop apart from when the kids threw a strop and demanded an afternoon around the pool. They were exhausted. Hubby was very regimented about getting to the parks for opening time and then leaving late. It was too much for them. Our favourite park was Universal and my least favourite was Epcot.

They closed the rides down on a couple of occasions whilst we were there as the weather became very stormy but it soon blew over.

We then went down to the Gulf of Mexico and stayed in a hotel for 10 days which we really needed after the parks.

It was a fantastic holiday - I think we'll probably go back within the next few years with YS as he was only about 7 when we went.

I have never been in October, I have been in May/June and this year with be July/Aug, the first time my Children were 6 &8 and we bought Disney passes and an Orlando flexi ticket which gave unlimited entrance to universal, islands of adventure, sea world etc etc etc.

The kids will love Disney and make sure you visit at night for the firework display.

We booked through virgin last time but this time we are flying with Thomson who were soooooooooo much cheaper as they still looked at my teenagers as kids rather than Virgin who wanted adult prices.

I have booked park tickets this time minus Disney as my childrn are now too old and I bought them through Attraction Tickets Direct.

We have chosen to stay on International Drive again in a hotel as we enjoyed it so much last time but I have a friend who went in a villa and swore by it, so it's a personal choice.

If you choose to stay on international drive it has a tram service up and down called I-Ride which you can ride on cheaply. My kids loved this lady time :lol:

Hurrah,

I have finally booked it! We are going with Thomas Cook as Virgin was too expensive for the 5 of us. Looked at Monarch but they dont have TVs in the back of the seats ....... I know thats a weird thing to base my decision on but 10 hours in a plane with 3 children has to be made as easy as possible!

We have got an apartment/ condo in Champions Gate near Kissimee. The car hire is included too.

So all I have to do now is decide on parks and book those tickets. The travel agent was trying to persuade me to get the one ticket as it works out much cheaper (but its still a £400 odd each for me and OH and ED, then a bit less for the other two!) I will have to do some research.

Then I need to decide on swimming with dolphins. The youngest won't be 6 so she won't be allowed to do it unless I can blag it. But if the other 2 get wind of it they will want to do it....... can't win either way me thinks!!

It will be the only time we go as its the price of a small car...... so I want to let them do as much as possible.

I feel much more relaxed about it now I have booked. Everytime I went on the flights were disappearing but now its done I can sit back for a bit (until the final payment is due in 3 weeks eekk!)

Great, now you can start the fun of planning :D . We are off to Orlando in August- not looking forward to the humidity but at least we'll have guaranteed heat :wink: Have you joined thedibb.co.uk yet? have a look on there before you buy your park tickets - and do shop around, there can be quite a price difference between suppliers.

Have joined Dibb but it all looked a bit scarey before i booked. I don't know why I am getting so stressed about it..... I always sort out the hols and do it all separately, so this is no different!

Will brave Dibb again in the next few days and get planning.

Have joined Dibb but it all looked a bit scarey before i booked. I don't know why I am getting so stressed about it..... I always sort out the hols and do it all separately, so this is no different!

Honestly it's one of the friendliest places on the web :) I'm on there every day even when I haven't got a holiday planned- I'm addicted :lol: ( I'm ali-s on there, say 'hi' if you see me )

Honestly it's one of the friendliest places on the web :) I'm on there every day even when I haven't got a holiday planned- I'm addicted :lol: ( I'm ali-s on there, say 'hi' if you see me )

And I MOD there :)

Hi I went to Florida in january last year it was mostly warm and we got away with wearing tshirts and shorts. We stayed in orange county in a lovely villa with a pool and went to sea world, all four Disney worlds and gator land which is a brilliant place to go I got to "wrestle" a gator and have got a picture somewhere.