Chucky Mama

Olympic Torch Relay

Has anyone been to watch? It comes to our area on Wednesday and I was wondering whether to go through the trauma of traffic and crowds to watch it :think:

I notice that people are selling 'Genuine Olympic Torch' on eBay and when you read the details it is a photo :shock: Too many people are bidding thinking it is the actual torch :roll: It is a worry :lol:

It Did us yesterday. DD went to see it Ds had an exam, I stayed away, I'm afraid, as we are all cross with the O committee, due to them cancelling out windsurf as a sport in favour of kite surfing. These things happen, but not to tell the competitors, or the next in line(Izzy hamilton and Sam Sills) is disgraceful. they found out through social network. These youngsters and families have invested years of their lives and based thier whole lives/carreers around the Olympic dream.

Rant over

We get it tomorrow too and it comes right past our house, unfortunately it is convoy mode at that point, changes to relay mode about half a mile down the road, so we will walk down to watch it being carried by a torch bearer. The local row of shops about 3/4 mile away are covered in bunting, it looks amazing. We have our Union flag up in the garden too :D

Our only worry is if our YD will get back in time to see it because her school bus gets here within the 2 hour window where the road can be closed. The bus company have been told by the police that because it is main road it will probably only be closed for 20 mins before and after the torch passes through, so she should be home as normal about an 1 1/2 hrs before the torch goes past.

After the upside tomorrow, we have the downside on Thursday morning because we have to get DS to school for an exam at 9.15am. Fortunately his school isn't directly affected by the road closures in the Gloucester area but the traffic will be bad as a result of all of the roads that will be closed. I am glad that my girls don't have an exam that day because their school is an island surrounded by closed roads and those with exams have to be at school by 8am at the latest and they have to walk in from a local retail park because that is the closest that the buses can get. it is a shame for those girls affected, you really don't need any extra stress on an exam day. (rant over) Normal school doesn't start until 11am that day and because we live 30 minutes away, I am letting them have a bonus day off.

It's arriving in Cardiff on Friday & is coming past within walking distance of us. Traffic could be interesting as it's coming along the main road in to town starting at 5.26pm! It's due to pass us at about 6pm. Hoping hubby will come home early as he wants to see the torch too & I don't want him getting caught up in traffic.

My dad, brother, sister-in-law and others are ringing the bells at our local church before & after the torch goes past. My mum has some little Union Jacks & Welsh flags for the boys to wave. :D

Just come in from watching it go through Wells (will post photo later). I got there over an hour early and it was already crowded. Lovely sunny day, great atmosphere, loads of flags and everybody in great spirits. Needless to say there was about a 90 min build up and 10 seconds of the torch, but still a good "I was there" moment. Poor bloke who actually carried it must have been dropped of in the wrong place as he flew past with an unlit torch in the wrong direction about 5 minutes before coming back with it lit up.

Go if you can.

I work in a secondary school on the outskirts of Hereford - we are planning to take 1000+ kids out to line the route on Thursday (and then attempt to get them back in and teach them for the rest of the day...). We have been told that 'things' are thrown from the procession (presumably some kind of souvenirs?) - some of our lot will probably throw them back! Does anyone know what is actually thrown/ :think:

Wow,

We just got back from Royal Wootton Bassett where a young lad of 16 with only one leg, Ben Fox carried the torch. It was really emotional and the atmosphere was fantastic! Loads of people there and all the local schools came out too. Glad I went as its one of those things you will probably never see again. Beautiful weather and beautiful happy people, just as life should be!! 8)

Just got back from seeing the torch through Cirencester (where I work - most of my colleagues took the short walk to see the torch too). Great atmosphere, must have been 1000s of people, so I didn't get a great view, but I'm glad I went to soak up the moment - once in a lifetime opportunity - excellent, would recommend it! The torch is now heading to Stroud, I believe!!

It's in Aberaeron Saturday & Aberystwyth on Sunday. I could go to either, but to be honest..I think it will be chaos! So I'll wait & see it in The Cambrian News & on the TV. I saw the actual torch in Aberystwyth a bit ago - obviously it wasn't lit then. It was the time when they were after nominations of who should carry it. Sorry for saying, but I thought it was a bit ugly.

I can't wait to see the opening ceremony of the Olympics. I hope we as a nation can pull it off & it doesn't come across as tacky. I will always remember the opening ceremonies in Seoul & Barcelona. The one in Seoul was amazing.

Emma.x

I watched it go across the Clifton suspension bridge. Then we had the live feed on in the classroom all day. We made paper Olympic torches and did a relay. It really inspired the children. Definitely go and watch if you can. I was decidedly underwhelmed by all the hype but actually seeing how joyful it has made everyone is nice to be a part of!

Liz - was it you who mentioned 'convoy mode' ? what happens then?

The torch goes whatithin half a mile of us in July and then carries on another mile or so to the village where we used to live - there are two relay stages and the map shows a Start and Finish......we were hoping to see it in a quieter stretch but I assume that it will be in convoy mode then.

It then goes on to Stratford upon Avon but traffic is chaos at the moment without the torch relay so we'll give that a miss! - it is routed past the 'new Waitrose to be' and the 'new Aldi to be' and both are having new roundabouts - great fun :roll::lol:

Ah,I can tell you about convoy mode thanks to my 87 year old mother who was sitting on her wheeled walker watching from the end of her road in Ledbury. The convoy (coaches, Coca Cola vehicle, Lloyds tsb vehicle) stopped by the end of her road on the outskirts of the town, and this was the point at which the first runner's torch was lit to go through town. Not sure how the flame is carried in the convoy though.

I was out in the street in Hereford an hour later to see the flame arrive, with the 1000+ teenagers from our school. I shouted quite a lot as we were trying to keep the little monkeys on the pavement, and they would keep moving out into the road. At one point I grabbed a boy by the blazer and pulled him back as he almost ran under a coach. Will probably get into trouble for this tomorrow as I made physical contact...

Apart from this (and the fact that Coca Cola turned up and distributed Coke to just some of the children!) it went well. One funny thing was that a collegue who is disabled watched the whole thing in school on the internet, and as the camera moved further into town spotted some pupils who had 'wandered off' and gone AWOL!!

Thank-you! - so it won't be worth waiting anywhere else along the route..........I think we'll make an attempt to see it as it's a village and it's a Sunday., we can always go home and watch it if there are too many people.

I think that's funny, the camera catching AWOL students :lol:

If you look at the webcam for the relay, there are people dotted about along the route when the flame is on the coach - lots of people standing on bridges watching the coach go by ... but definitely better to see the flame being carried properly!

:D YS went to Tatton Park today, as an invited guest and met the torchbearer - he was an Extra in the film Chariots of Fire. Got to touch the torch and recieved a free t-shirt with "Moment to Shine" on the front and "Torch Relay 2012" on the back 8) This t-shirt will NOT be sold on ebay and will be kept until the next British Hosting :lol: