Chucky Mama

Olympic Torch Relay

I have got a place on one of the (many) row boats that will be accompanying the torch on the last day of the relay when the torch goes on the Gloriana from Hampton Court to Richmond Bridge :D Hope it doesn't rain :lol: We'll have 5 people in a boat that normally has 2 rowers and 1 cox so it'll be floating a bit lower in the water than usual...

I'll have to check with my friend when he's doing his leg.

photo.jpg

Dave's a local councillor who also runs a boxing gym (he's a former kick boxing champ) and works with disabled and disadvantaged children. Super bloke 8)

He's GORGEOUS !! Can you send him my way please?

That's funny...I've been supremely disinterested in the Olympics up until now, and I'm wondering when Dave's doing his leg to cheer him on... :D

One of the parents at the school I work in in Strathyre was a torch bearer. He brought the torch to sports day. All the children (all 41 of them) ran round the playing field behind him. A fantastic sight. Whilst I did hold it I didn't take any photos :!: It was quite a moment. The family involved are simply lovely. Alli x :D

I have got a place on one of the (many) row boats that will be accompanying the torch on the last day of the relay when the torch goes on the Gloriana from Hampton Court to Richmond Bridge :D Hope it doesn't rain :lol: We'll have 5 people in a boat that normally has 2 rowers and 1 cox so it'll be floating a bit lower in the water than usual...

Oooh, how exciting for you Patricia :D

I'll have to check with my friend when he's doing his leg.

photo.jpg

Dave's a local councillor who also runs a boxing gym (he's a former kick boxing champ) and works with disabled and disadvantaged children. Super bloke 8)

He's GORGEOUS !! Can you send him my way please?

That's funny...I've been supremely disinterested in the Olympics up until now, and I'm wondering when Dave's doing his leg to cheer him on... :D

He's running on 10th July Dave can also be seen coaching youngsters and running in my park every Thursday after school :wink: or you can see him in action in

Fingers crossed for good weather Patricia! 8)

We could go to see the torch tomorrow but I've found out that so many roads around the two villages will be closed, and parking will be some distance away, that we'd have to go very early and wait. We just can't afford to take about 3 hours out of the day so will watch it on the news. Annoyingly it will be going past the house we used to live in :roll: It will also be going past my Mum's, in Stratford, but she and my stepfather aren't the least bit interested and I'd have to spend three hours there as well and then probably never be able to get out of Stratford again! It's been hell the last week as they try to finish up some of the many major roadworks that are all around the town at the moment, it's been taking 45 minutes to travel a quarter of a mile on the road where the last part of the relay will be.

It passed through Leeds and Wakefield last Monday. It was carried through a village about 3 miles from the school I work in, but no way could we transport 1500+ teenagers to see it, so a minibus full were selected to go. Needless to say, a lot took the day off and went too, especially as all the primaries in the area had given parents permission to do so.

Next day one of my SEN students told me very importantly 'yesterday Miss - I poorly so I not in'.

'Ah' said I. 'Yes. I saw you on the TV jumping up and down when the torch went past' :wink:

He'd been on regional news the night before :lol:

He still insists he was poorly, even when we watched the clip in class!

We saw it on Saturday in Lichfield and it was brilliant! The atmosphere was fantastic (helped that it wasn't raining) and the whole of the town turned out I think. we had worked the changeover points out by measuring back on google maps and and insider telling us that they like to do it at junctions, so we got out spot pretty spot on!

It was really quite emotional - which is weird seeing as its just someone with a flame, but I felt very patriotic and proud that my children have had the opportunity to participate in a once in a lifetime event. Roll on the olympics and our evening athletics session - Hurrah!

Just been speaking to a friend tonight - all the children from the school her kids go to are also going to Rutland Water. I think I might give it a miss. Not that I don't like children, but I think it's going to be pretty manic with several schools full of children down there. I don't think it will be as straight forward as just nipping down to have a quick look and going again :(

Today it's coming through St.Albans at 4.06, and the precision timing appeals to me, I may have to go and check it.

Also, I'm no athlete, but I love events that celebrate life and quash mundane drudgery or whinging, be it sport, music, arts or anything that humans do that are remarkable. :clap:

However, I need Andy Murray to win in straight sets in just a couple of hours, so that I can leave the house in time!

It's only 10 mins walk from here, at a push I could leave at 4pm and do a 6 min sprint in true Olympic spirit.

Hmmm, I think Wimbledon may be very exciting by 4pm so I won't know which to watch, what shall I do? :lol:

:lol: Thanks Clare, I just couldn't leave the tennis, and I'm glad I watched the whole match. I couldn't have quite made it there and back in the rain break, although it crossed my mind.

My son watched the Torch from the doorway at work, so I feel I saw it by proxy. Apparently there was a good turnout and atmosphere, he could only see the top of the flame because of the crowds, so it was well supported without me. :D

Glad to hear that you sort of saw it Sheila.

Isn't it lovely how the whole country is getting involved and turning out to see it? My friend works for a Dogs for the Disabled charity and they took all the dogs and puppies out to stand and watch their local torch bearer who was a lady in a wheelchair; she was especially touched as she'd had a dog from that centre herself. I think this photo of her face just about says it all.

Olympicflame.jpg

Just been to see the Olympic torch pass through Windsor. Too many people at the Long Walk to watch, so I waited on one of the outward roads, where they were due to be getting back on the Bus to go to the next town.

A few branded-advertising coaches came through, no torch, and then the Police opened the road again. Many people walked off muttering, as we hadn't seen the torch at all on the coaches. I and a few others hung on, because there were still police about... and about 15 minutes later the real procession came past, complete wth torchbearer.

And then there were hundreds of people on foot and bikes behind him, all trying to get home.

Glad I went, not quite the spectacular I was expecting.

The Torch came to Danson Park, Bexleyheath on Sunday. By happy coincidence my SIL held a joint torch/anniversary bbq. She also lives on the route to the park so we had a great view. My DD took two of her younger cousins into the park after the torch had passed. The park had a big event to celebrate and my DD, her friend and two cousins managed to get their photos taken with the torch. They were so happy when they came back.

torchman.jpg

louiseandtorch.jpg

The atmosphere was brilliant, everyone was happy and laughing. Because the pavements were all busy, a man on a mobility scooter came down the road before the torch came along, was applauded and cheered on. He ended up driving along with one arm in the air. :lol:

I thought that I was filming it all with my iphone but ended up with just the crowd :roll:

Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the Olympics to start now. :D