AJuff

Environmental Enforcement Officer Rant

:shock: A month ago the council closed the road adjacent to our house so they could cut back all the overhanging trees. It now makes the side of our garden fence visible from the upper floor of the flats opposite. I recieved a surprise visit from an environmental enforcement officer at 8.15am. Not a nice man as he stank of stale cigarette smoke. He asked to see OH who was in bed from a night shift. He said they'd received a complaint from someone in the flats that OH had been fly tipping over the fence! :shock: Fly tipping turns out to be grass clippings that have gone over the fence into the woodland adjacent to our house for the past 11 years. The woodland is not accessible to anyone, brick wall one side, fence on the other and eight foot above the pavement. £50,000 fine if caught dumping again.

I contacted our management company to find out who owed the woodland. It has been confirmed it does not belong to the council, nor is it managed by the company. The map they sent shows it belongs to our garden :D Maps from when we bought the house do not show this. The management company are in the process of clarifying the issue. Wouldn't you think the Environmental Enforcement officer would have found out who owned the land before issuing a warning?

Well if it does turn out to be our woodland I'll relocate the hens into it as I'd like to put steps into the garden through their existing run! Plus when OH cuts the grass I'll ask him to pile it up into a large pile (rather then scattering it) and put a banana skin on the top for the get-a-life complainer to look at from their window! :evil:

What a total plonker! You really would have thought he would check who the woodland actually belongs to before threatening you with a £5000 fine at 8.15am :roll: He's going to feel like a total wally if the land turns out to be yours :lol:

How exciting would it be to have your own woodland? I would love to have a little wood, and adjacent to your garden, how perfect is that!

Woodland chickens, how wonderful is that!!

Still I doubt the environment officer will feel a plonker. I think they are pretty immune to that. Sadly I think that the general reaction to neighbour complaints is to act first and ask questions later. I'll never forget when a neighbour sent the police round to my house saying one of my dogs had attacked her dog and tipped her baby out of its pram because she did not want me to let my two dogs (there were only 2 then) off the lead in a little lane that runs past a field near her home. Her dog had not a scratch on it, and her baby was in one of those old fashioned prams with huge wheels that the dog she was complaining about could not reach up to let alone tip over. :roll: Luckily there happened to be a man working nearby who discreditted her story when the police finally asked if there were any whitnesses. But that was not till after they had barged into my house and told me my dogs would be put down. :shock: Needless to say I never speak to said neighbour now and really resent 'the authorities' allowing themselves to be used as 'weapons' in this way.

My mum regularly got letters from the council informing her that they had received complaints from the neighbour at the bottom of her garden that her dog was too noisy and needed to be sorted :D

My mum never had a dog, her neighbour did and he did bark a lot at times.

Mum would be upset and inform the council each time that she did not have a dog but it did not stop them writing to her again :D

AJuff I hope you have good news about the woodland.

Chrissie