Olly

Crafty Resolutions?

I'll admit to being inspired about this by a blog I read - I don't do New Year's Resolutions, but I am going to set myself some crafting resolutions. The main one is to finish UFOs! I have far too many on the go.

The other one is to stop buying fabric :oops: and use up some of my stash - it's not all new, a lot of it is 'upcycled' from charity shops/used clothing, but I need to start using it and not adding to it.

Anyone else got any crafting plans - learning a new skill maybe, or perfecting an existing one?

What a good thought Olly.

I would like to finish the cardigan I started because of this forum. I must be the last one to complete the challenge :oops:

I would like to make a blanket or quilt for a baby due in April.

I want to do some more crocheting, I managed to do some flowers to decorate a scarf I made as a pressie, the last thing I crocheted before that was about 20 or more years ago, maybe 25 or 30 when I was a child and a teenager :wink: .

I would also like to get my sewing machine out and working, I seem to remember the tension was funny the last time I used it, that was in our old house and we have lived here for over 8 years :D:oops:

This area of the forum inspires me but we will see if I manage to achieve anything this year.

Thank you for all your posts and pictures, happy crafting in 2013 :D

Chrissie

I would like to finish the cardigan I started because of this forum. I must be the last one to complete the challenge

Not quite the last one Chrissie, I have only finished one side! :oops: I will finish it sometime soon!

I would also like to learn how to quilt, I bought a new sewing machine last year and I have the material so I've no excuse really.

I would like to finish the cardigan I started because of this forum. I must be the last one to complete the challenge

Not quite the last one Chrissie, I have only finished one side! :oops: I will finish it sometime soon!

Me too :oops: I did the one side quite quickly then got sidetracked. I also have a cropped jumper that I started years ago and it just needs the neckline doing and sewing up. I WILL finish it this year before I outgrow it!!!

Having loved having a go at wet felting courtesy of the feltie swap, I now want to try needle felting too, so that will be my new craft for this year. Another resolution is to try to make more of my Xmas gifts - I managed 2 scarves and a pair of appliqued cushions this Xmas. I have had some crafty books for Xmas so lots of new ideas.

I also never finished my Space Chick cardi. Which is what it will always be known as once finished! I think she could have her own label there - as it has a good ring to it! :lol:

What puts me off is sewing it up - the flipping sleeves! Arrrgh! I may have to bribe her over here to help me do it!

:shh:

I want to do at least one crochet project a month. Plus make a few quilts this year. Oh & I have my new cross stitch kit to do.

Emma.x

I haven't finished my space chick cardi either :oops::lol: but I do know where it is :lol: so, I suppose that's one thing :lol:

I'm learning crochet :D I am making granny squares :lol: I'm currently making one out of chunky brown yarn so I can use it on my bed :D it's about 2 ft square at the moment :D I just hope that the shop still sells the yarn when I finished the current ball I'm working on

Cathy

X

So many UFOs! Must try to get them finished before starting anything else, that is my priority this year. 2 knitted cardigans, a set of wall hangings, 2 quilts, a pair of legwarmers - all half done. And I want to crochet a shrug. Maybe I will allow myself to do the shrug if I can finish the legwarmers and one cardigan :think:

I don't feel so bad now - I have a cardigan I started because of the Omlet thread but not quite the same one, which I have half sewn up so I intend to get that finished. I also have a sewing machine I bought second hand and have never quite mastered because there was no manual with it, I have now emailed Toyota and hope they can help me out :D .

Mind you I am also half way through decorating the hall, I never finished decorating my porch because it never seemed to be dry enough last year and i have a large section of hedge I never finished cutting last year because the chickens were in the way ( not really crafting but all unfinished items which are praying on my mind :roll: ).

I've been very organised (or very sad as OH says!) by writing a Craft 2013 list.

It's organised seasonally throughout the year and I love looking ahead to see what I can make next. It's very flexible and I add new things in and postphone other items. It starts with Christmas leftovers that I've started but not quite finished. I've planned a new item and then a UFO, alternating so that I can finish off and enjoy new things. Whenever I finish an item I take a photo and have a lovely Crafts 2012 folder with everything I've made. I am so proud of my creations. :D

UFOs seem high on everyone's agenda . . . perhaps we'll have finished them by Easter?

Knitting in the round. I'm halfway through a pair of socks. The first one came out looking and feeling like a sock. I cast it off too tightly so have to figure that out for second one. Also started practice jumper knitted on circular needles. NO SEAMS TO SEW! Can't see how it will work but going ok. I couldn't figure out using one circular needle so using two. Very nice to do and I can see this hobby growing. Everyone will be getting tubular shaped gifts next christmas.

How have you mastered circular knitting?? I either get the wrong length circular needle & the stitches look stretched, or the knitting twists. Oh & not to mention a big ladder & joining itonce you've completed the 1st round. The mind boggles! Dod you have a book with simple ( really really simple) instructions. I get frustrated!

Emma.x

Everything I've learnt so far, which is limited, I learnt from Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D Johnson. It's got lots of techniques. I've plumped for using two circular needles. It has good little tips too like just pull the yarn very, very tight for a couple of stitches to avoid ladders. I've also been watching how to videos on YouTube.

I'm not sure how the jumper will evolve, that is from The knitters handy book of sweater patterns by Anne Budd which is a sort of mix and match of different designs and techniques. I thought I'd try it on a tiny toddler size to see what happens.

I also have a sewing machine I bought second hand and have never quite mastered because there was no manual with it, I have now emailed Toyota and hope they can help me out :D .

Oh no even Toyota can't find a manual for my machine :( . I wonder if anyone here can help it's labelled Toyota 'MODEL 221' with no series information. It has yellow, orange and purple pictures of stitches on the front and two stitch adjustment dials with a separate reverse lever also on the front.

If anyone can supply a photocopy of the manual I would be very grateful and of course pay all associated costs.

Hoping I strike lucky :pray: .

I also have a sewing machine I bought second hand and have never quite mastered because there was no manual with it, I have now emailed Toyota and hope they can help me out :D .

Oh no even Toyota can't find a manual for my machine :( . I wonder if anyone here can help it's labelled Toyota 'MODEL 221' with no series information. It has yellow, orange and purple pictures of stitches on the front and two stitch adjustment dials with a separate reverse lever also on the front.

If anyone can supply a photocopy of the manual I would be very grateful and of course pay all associated costs.

Hoping I strike lucky :pray: .

You can buy them from herehttp://sewingonline.co.uk/toyota-manuals.html for £5 :D

You can buy them from herehttp://sewingonline.co.uk/toyota-manuals.html for £5 :D

Thank you bluekarin, I have done that - no excuses now :wink::lol: .

Nope, no excuses :notalk: I expect to see your machine skills on here in the near future. No pressure :wink: Hope the site is as good as it looks as I haven't used it. Does look good though, and glad to help :D

I've just had a newsletter from a local craft shop in Chipping Norton (Lesley knows it); they do an array of classes as well as the supplies, worth visiting if you're in the area.

I'm still dreaming of finding the time to get back to crafting, having said that I am stealing 5 minutes here and there to re-upholster an old director's chair. It used to belong to my grandfolks and I understand that it was a wedding present to them, there are various old photos with it in. My folks had it and it had been re-hung on many occasions, when we last saw them my dad was about to ditch the chair as he couldn't be bothered to re-do it. I have some nice old-style chintz design fabric in linen union to use for this, the chair is stripped down and I've come to a halt as I've decided to strip off the layers of paint and wax the old wood before re-covering it, so will need a dry day outside to use some chemical stripper.