Minnie&Moose

feeding kittens - now with pictures!

We acquired 2 15 week old rescue kittens yesterday (the house was feeling too empty and not at all home-like since the death of our elderly cat in January). I haven't had kittens for 17 years and I haven't had cats that eat a 'normal' diet for 10 years so I'm feeling a bit 'out of practice'. Both kittens are quite small for their age but are lively and healthy (thin but otherwise fine). They came from an 80+ cat household (rescued by a social worker apparently). They've been fed on cheap commercial kitten food at the rescue so I'm keeping on with that as they settle in but I'd like to gradually switch them over to an alternative. Any suggestions/recommendations please?

Edited by Guest

Aww how lovely. A shame they have had not the best start but I think they are in the right place now :D My cats eat Iams, but I want to change over to Arden Grange. My dog is on their dog food after trying Iams plus other bands and she seems to be doing well on it. They do a kitten food so might be worth a try. Maybe an email to see if they have any samples? They sent me some for my dog when she was a pup (I say pup like this was years ago - she's only 9 months now!)

Now, where are the photos? You can't tell us about little kittens without them :wink: Have you chosen any names for them yet or are you waiting for any characteristics to appear before you do?

Thanks Bluekarin - they're called Archie and Molly. Archie's all black and Molly looks like she'll be a dark grey tabby with white nose, bib and toes. I've not mastered photos on here yet - guess I'll have to take the plunge - eek! But first, we'll have to take some pictures of the little monsters :D

Thanks for all your responses - I will see what I can do re getting some pictures of them and then trying to master getting them up on here (I'm not the most technologically competent of people :roll: ).

Lotty J1 - I hadn't noticed you had an Archie and a Molly. It was my son who came up with the names - originally he wanted to call the girl Bobarella but I vetoed that one - I just couldn't face having to shout that out the back door each evening - the neighbours think I'm crazy enough as it is :oops:

I have very set views on feeding cats and kittens.

I lost a cat to cancer aged 10, and was feeding him a mix of dry food and sachets such as Whiskars and Felix. I read that these foods are akin to eating McDonalds every day and are cancenogenic.

I blame losing my cat so young to the food he ate (and yes, I know people will say that they fed their cats that and they lived until 20, equally I will point you to people who ate rubbish and smoked and lived to 100)

So when I got new feline additions to my family, I spent weeks and weeks and weeks researching cat food.

What I learned was......

Cats are obligate carnivores, they don't need grains or veg.

I also learned that cats don't have a sophisticated thirst drive, as naturally get their moisture from hunting.

This taught me that commercial dried food is bad, as tends to be high and grains and low in moisture.

I then discovered that many commercial wet cat foods are also high in grains as they are cheap.

Through my cat feeding journey, I have been drawn to quality German cat food tins (they are high in meat and low in grain and companies like Zooplus sell them....brands to look for are Grau and Amonida Carny, also Swedish Bozita) however, by far the majority of what I feed my cats is homemade raw "Frankenprey" where you make raw to simulate a hunt. It's not for the faint hearted, is hard work, but boy is it worth it :D

I took my kitten for her second jab last week, when she arrived aged 10 weeks she was a sorry state and a pitiful 850g after 6 weeks of love and a Frankenprey diet she's now 1850g and in marvellous condition. The vet said to me that she is now perfect and to keep doing whatever I am doing.

My older rescue cats have also improved greatly in condition and energy since being on the Frankenprey diet.

This has made me evangelical about the subject, and also I know EXACTLY what my cats are eating as I feed them the same quality meat as we have from my local free range farmers market.

Feel free to pm me if you do want more information, or if you would like to be pointed in the direction of more reading material. :D

Lotty J1 - I hadn't noticed you had an Archie and a Molly. It was my son who came up with the names

He has great taste! :lol::lol:

Do let us know how you get on with the raw food - I would be interested in trying it as Archie has so many issues. :roll:

I have added in Natural Instincts raw cat food (based on your recommendation to someone else I think, space chick) and one of mine is LOVINg it. The other will eat it, but only if mixed in with a bit of tuna or similar...but I have high hopes of being able to move her over to it completely in the long term. One happy raw cat food convert here :D

Natural instinct is the best commercially available raw food for cats :D

I make my own now though, although I would return to NI if I needed to.

I find making my own, I know exactly what's gone in and from which farm and it works out cheaper, but Natural Instinct is definitely a great food and mine loved it until I built up enough confidence and had read enough and felt informed enough to make myself.

Er yes,PHOTOS please!

I too am the proud Mum of a new kitten - he is called Nemo ,he is a 16 week old half Maine Coon monster & we are all totally under his spell.

He eats a mix of wet & dry,a varied mixture of brands,with a good dose of cooked chicken,fresh fish & whatever else I can find for him.

He is incredibly unfussy about his food,& loves his nightly dish of cat milk too.

My 3 spoiled moggies have Honey's raw food and are doing very well on it.

Tozi and Cleo both have long-term health issues (from before they came to me) and these seem to be alleviated by a "proper" diet, though neither can be cured. Loki is a real picky-paws when it comes to food but seems to like most of the raw food. From the gawky teenage cat I adopted, he's now a magnificent boy in his prime and has the thickest, softest baby-fine fur - very stroke-able :D !

Thanks for all your replies - I'm still working on the photos - lots of blurry streaks but so far haven't managed to catch them stationary!

I've gradually been switching them to a higher meat content food, and reducing the dry food, with a view to working towards a raw diet. Well, today they had their first raw meal - Archie fell on it and tucked in immediately; Molly wasn't so sure - she did a lot of sniffing but hadn't actually eaten any by the time I left this morning. Will see how much has gone and how hungry Molly is when I pop home to give them lunch in an hour's time! I may have to try mixing the raw food in with food that I know Molly will eat and gradually increase the content of raw. But already they're looking and smelling better having moved them onto high meat content food - but they've got quite a lot of growing to do to catch up with where they should be.

Come on, photos please! I'm very interested in this debate - I know that commercial cat food is not very good, I moved mine back on to wet food recently but it makes them (in my view) hyperactive and very demanding, and Wellington has a habit of eating too quickly and then being sick. (Some brands of 'wet' food just don't stay down for more than a few minutes, and I think it's the cereal content.)

I'm going to investigate some of the branded foods mentioned above - I Googled frankenprey, and as Spacechick says, it's not for the faint-hearted - I just couldn't imagine having the time to do it, apart from anything else.

A useful tip from my vet, he said that cats rarely drink enough in his experience, and he recommends mixing some water with the wet food before giving it to them - he said start with a 5 ml teaspoon and work up. I am now adding 30-40 ml of water to each dish, and it seems to make no difference at all to the cats, who tuck in with the same enthusiasm as ever.

I assume raw feeding cats works in the same way as raw feeding dogs? In which case I agree with DM, it's not time consuming. I keep pet mince and chicken carcasses in the freezer and defrost as needed. Chicken carcasses get hacked into smaller pieces (5 minute job) and the mince just sits in a container in the fridge. Chicken wings are probably a better size for cats in which case that's even easier as no chopping needed! Putting each meal into the dog's bowl takes no longer than opening a tin of food and serving it. It seems complicated and a bit daunting until you get the hang of it, but it's dead easy once you become confident.

My reading of the sites I Googled was that I'd have to mince the stuff up myself - 2.5 hours a month doesn't sound much, but it's 2.5 hours I don't have to spare. I've ordered some food from Zooplus, thanks for the tip - I'm going to try that and see how they are, I might try Natural Instinct but the shipping cost makes that a bit less attractive.