Luvachicken

Daisy gets to wear a sock.Very sad update.

Poor Daisy, after her escapades in my pond and a load of antibiotics, she now gets to wear one of my trainer socks.

We went to the vets again today. Daisy has sore eyes, isn't eating much, has funny poo and to top it all her poorly paw is infected.

The lovely vet has given her some eye drops, some more antibiotics, some puppy wormer tablets ( because she now only weighs 8.8kg ) some hibiscrub to wash her paw and some special cream to rub on it that acts as a second skin.

We have to wash her paw twice a day with the hibiscrub and put the cream on twice too. She didn't seem to mind me doing it earlier and I just hope the sock isn't stuck to it later.

She had scambled eggs with a bit of toast for her lunch - she really did enjoy that :D

Hopefully all this medicine will make her feel a lot better.

Edited by Guest

Thanks everyone for your wishes. I was a bit too upset to come on here after I posted.

Daisy is still here :D

Washing her paw is not nice. The cancerous bit seems to have mutated and that is the part that is infected. She is a very good girl letting me wash it but I struggle with the fact that I might be hurting her. Then we rinse it and dry it and then I put the cream on. Putting the cream on is a bit stomach churning and then I pull the sock to stretch it and pop it over the top. She has done well at keeping the sock on but I really don't like taking it off each time because I worry about what is underneath and if it has stuck to her.

Her paw looks a tiny bit better today, but I think sadly this will be her down fall. I'm sure the cancer is growing more each day.

For breakfast today I mixed cheese on her food but she wasn't interested so I blow torched the cheese with one of those for creme brulee, and she ate most of it after that :D

Scrambled egg again for lunch later, but I had to buy shop eggs as my girls aren't very productive at the moment.

Am going on holiday on Monday though, so I will have to show my Mum how everything is done. I hope she isn't too squeamish. Usually we try and go on holiday for 2 weeks but this year I just knew it wouldn't be a good idea.

Oh poor Daisy, and poor you :o As long as what you are doing you feel is in her best interests I would continue as you are. Hope your mum is ok about doing the cream and washing and the fact your aren't off for a few more days might be enough for it to be a little less squeamish for her. Hope you have a lovely hols :)

I think it is in her best interest for now but not sure how long we should continue for.

My Son has been in Australia for a year and is desperate to see her when he gets back, and my Daughter is going out to Australia later today to meet him for a 3 week holiday, but I'm not sure if we should be doing what we are for 3 more weeks.

She still wags her tail and even the vet said about her tail wagging.

Life is hard sometimes.

It is a tough one but if you feel, and your vet feels, before the three weeks is up that she is suffering, then to prolong anything would be unfair to her and to you treating her. I am sure in your sons heart he would understand if things had to be brought forward. If it were me, I would. Only you know how she really is. I really don't envy you this and it brings me to tears even thinking about what ifs for Neela when she gets older. Just try and enjoy the time you have with her now (((hugs)))

It's heartbreaking to have to think that the end might be coming :cry: I know when my parents' dog (which they had had since I was 14) went last year, they agonised for ages about whether it was the right time to let him go. In the end they had to weigh up whether he was having more good days than bad, and when the balance started to shift towards more bad days, they decided the time was right. I am sure you will know when the time is right, as hard as it is :cry:

We went on our holiday to Cornwall and my parents did an excellent job of looking after Daisy.

Each day I texted to see how Daisy was doing and each day Mum said she was getting poorly.

By Thursday she wasn't eating at all or drinking. They took her to the vets who gave her some kind of protein food which she ate some of.

We were going to leave our holiday early but my Mum didn't want us to. It was a Monday to Monday holiday and I couldn't wait for it to finish. We left early on the Monday morning and got back to Fleet at 11.30am.

Daisy had been sick and Mum curled her up on our tatty sofa with her blanket. She looked so sad and poorly.

Hubby phoned the vets - I couldn't bring myself to do it - and we took her later to be put to sleep.

I cuddled her all the way and told her all the things we used to do as we passed them.

I cried all the way there and all the way back. She hardly moved as I carried her.

I laid her on the table and the vet put the medicine into her leg and she went straight to sleep. So peaceful.

Love you Daisy xxxxx

Oh I am so sorry, your post has made me cry.

What a lucky girl Daisy was to have such loving owners. So glad that the end was peaceful.

I am sure that in time you will be able to remember the good times you have had together.

We now have very fond memories of Fat Choy who was my FILs dog that we rehomed when FIL died suddenly. Many of the memories of Fat Choy are also great memories of FIL too.

Thinking of you luvachicken, hugs from East Northants

Chrissie

Oh dear, I am so so sorry, poor little Daisy rest in peace, you must be devastated, I find myself with tears just reading your post. But ... she obviously had a lovely life with family that loved her very much and I hope you will be able to find peace and have happy memories once the shock and initial grief has worn off.

Sending hugs xx

Today has been really hard.

Thank you for all your kind words and I'm sorry to have upset any of you - it just shows how sensitive we all are and how we care for others and our animals.

The vet said Daisy was the oldest Cocker Spaniel he had known.

To be honest she was never really ill - she had a chest infection once, a bad case of diarrhea, and her cancerous lump which she had removed 3 times.

She was never a naughty dog either (except for fox poo) and she hated water and puddles, she loved going to the vets and loved sneaking upstairs for a sleep in one of the bedrooms. And she really loved Christmas.

Daisy also shared her birthday with my daughter 18th Dec .

Tomorrow we are going to pick up her ashes.....I have to go.

Thank you everyone.