Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

You are so right Beantree, but I think I know who the culprit is, I heard the sounds of a bird being dispatched a few days ago, but I had guessed it was for the pot, perhaps not.  Anyway, this individual is not known for his neighbourliness or common sense.  The bin is normally emptied twice a week although I am not 100% sure this is still happening. I will keep a special eye out tomorrow, especially as we are having typical April days (ie very very very changeable) in March, coupled with 13 degrees at night!  I am sitting here without my customary 4th layer on!   If the bin gets stinky or maggoty I know another neighbour who will only be too happy to tell this person off.

Been doing some tidying up here and have cleaned up the area in the barn we sit in. Have a full length mirror in there which we covered with a sheet because the blue tits kept attacking themselves. So the mirror was uncovered, cleaned and moved temporarily. Our dog has never seen herself in a mirror and spent ages investigating 'the other dog', much to our amusement. Then Portia (the 10+ year old house hen with a missing toe) decided to check out 'the other chicken'. Had to grab her and move her away because she attacked the mirror with such ferocity we thought she would have a heart attack! We'll be moving it well out of the way later.

• Haha 1

We have adopted another stray cat, he is meant to be an outdoor cat but is slowly inviegling his way indoors.  This morning he was lying on the floor, watching the television, moving his head from side to side as the images changed!  Our cats don't seem interested in mirrors, possibly they are less intelligent than dogs and birds!

I think cats are more intelligent than both @Daphne. Had a cat years back who watched me typing at an old typewriter once; with the type heads that used to fly up and hit the ink ribbon. I walked away from it and the cat walked over, hit a key with the left paw and tried to catch the head with the right. Kept going for quite a while until it realised the heads were too fast. That same cat watched the arrival of a new washing machine which was connected, loaded and switch on by pulling on a big round red button. It sat there through the whole cycle, fascinated by the rotating drum and when the machine stopped it went over and hit the red button repeatedly, presumably to try and restart it?

OMG! An illustration of the opposite sort we have here.  We spent hours showing our original boy how to push through a barely open door, we were on hands and knees, looking ridiculous pretending to head butt the door.  The most recent addition, the supposedly outdoor cat, walked in one day and pushed at the door and rewarded himself by eating the other cats food.  

My Flo has very specific intelligent skills. Everything to do with food or anything else she wants, she learns quickly. She figured out the cat flap by copying Red. Which was very unfortunate as she isn’t allowed unlimited access to the garden and certainly not beyond. I had to physically push Red through the cat flap when he had to learn.

iPoes was possibly the most cognitive challenged cat I ever met. But she made up for intense sweetness.

On 3/12/2023 at 2:42 PM, Daphne said:

OMG! An illustration of the opposite sort we have here.  We spent hours showing our original boy how to push through a barely open door, we were on hands and knees, looking ridiculous pretending to head butt the door.  The most recent addition, the supposedly outdoor cat, walked in one day and pushed at the door and rewarded himself by eating the other cats food.  

Cats have many different ways of getting through doors. Both Flo and Red use their heads to pry doors open, but Mini, my moms cat, just uses her paw. iPoes did a paw-head combination.

Congratulations @Geoid. I have to confess I failed at my first attempt due to a very silly mistake. My friend was taking his car test at the same time and was at a steep junction waiting to pull out. I came up and stopped behind him; a bit too close said the examiner. He let the handbrake off and rolled backwards, only just missing me. He failed for that, so we both left the test centre feeling miserable, but we both passed at the next attempt.

• Like 1