Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Well meet Punaise (Dutch for thumbtack), the angry coughing hedgehog currently waiting in a cat carrier to be taken to the shelter!

He/she woke me up this morning again with all the coughing and rattling, so caught it and it’s now complaining in the shed.

0D4A608A-8B5A-402E-8A7E-2AC8A7640BF2.jpeg

What if this is just the first hoggy again, that has been returned after treatment? Then she’s just an attention seeker!

Major review of immigration policy is taking place in France today. Quite how it will affect me I don't yet know? The main points appear to be that asylum seekers have no right of appeal and get an order to leave the Country immediately if they are not accepted, applications for residency will now require a written/ verbal examination, but will this apply to renewals? They have said if applicants have a work contract there will be no problem, but will people from outside the EU still be able to buy a house and live here, having passed the means test and being able to afford the medical expenses?

66% of French think there are too many foreigners in the Country and the official figure is now 7.7% of the population, which is the highest percentage ever and is still rising. Think the legislation goes to the vote at 5.00pm, so things should be clearer tomorrow. One thing is certain; my French is terrible and is unlikely to improve much without some intensive tutoring.

• Confused 1

What happened in the end yesterday Beantree, do you know?  I think France is perhaps starting to go down the same path as the UK, with those in Govt feeling the need/wanting to, take action on immigration.

Here you need to take a language test for permanent residency, but there are plenty of courses which teach to the standard.  I guess if you leave enough time for a failure/retake you can protect yourself a bit if it becomes necessary.

I'm not quite sure what happened @Daphne, because there is no mention of it on the news this morning. It was mentioned late yesterday that there was, as usual, a big difference of opinion between the parties. One aspect suggested was that re-uniting family groups should no longer be an acceptable reason for immigration. Think everyone agreed a need for change but the First Minister said 'no immigration at all' was not possible. We have a 'hung parliament' here, so the governing party hasn't an absolute majority. The only way new policies get through is to invoke clause 49.3 of the constitution, which allows them to force it through. It has been used eight times already! They have now moved on to 'end of life rights' and are still debating retirement age changes and getting nowhere, despite Macron wanting it resolved by the end of January 2023. We have another 4 years of this, because the Country voted Macron as President but then didn't vote him enough seats in the Assembly to do anything.

Worth mentioning is one thing they have agreed on. All large exterior car parks must be covered with solar panels, which I think is a great idea, if only so your car doesn't overheat in Summer and you don't get wet walking to the shops. What isn't mentioned is how big these car parks are, who pays and how long to they have to construct them? In the meantime we now have 3 more nuclear stations running and the Country has reduced its electricity consumption by the required 10%, so power cuts are unlikely. We have 40 of the 56 stations running and the others are having corrosion issues addressed; that work they said takes between 5 and 6 years to complete.

'End of life' rights are being debated by a selected team of 175 people who will present their conclusions in March 2023.

Rather amazingly, Portugal voted very recently to allow end of life legally, although I don't know the details of when it is allowable or when it will become law.  I had assumed that being a still quite/very Catholic country this would not be popular.

I have been in the UK all week - really quite parky isn't it!

Quite warm and sunny here now so the front door was left open for a while. Our terrier jumped out of her bed and started barking in the front garden. I went out expecting to see a cat up a tree but actually saw her face to face with a wild boar. Not a particularly large one but still pretty dangerous. Put the electric fence on around the chicken enclosure as a precaution, but whilst I was doing that the boar wandered over to the boundary fence and then just disappeared? It's all open fields down there, but no sign of it at all?

I wouldn't like to say, but just keep yourself, your dog and everybody else under a bit more surveillance than usual.

When I was in Normandy in November we came face to face with hunters one Sunday morning, I don't know if you have any around you but that might be the boar's ultimate fate.  I hear/read that their numbers are increasing virtually everywhere, including around us.  I am more wary than I used to be walking in the forest here as I will never forget my first translation exercise when we lived in France about 30 years ago - a newspaper story about a boar chasing a man up a tree where he had to spend most of the night!

We went to a local concert last night which was short (hard pews in church!) but with beautiful singing.  On the way home we saw a hare - they are pretty rare around here but such a lovely thing to see.

Happy Christmas Beantree if you are celebrating in the French manner tonight (and everyone else!)   We watched the locals constructing the giant bonfire which will be lit at midnight to keep the baby Jesus warm.  It consists of massive tree trunks, just like last year, when it dismally failed to light properly, I foresee the same thing happening again.  However, an old lady lives next to the fire site (its right in the middle of the hamlet) and I don't suppose she is enthralled, the pile of wood is about 3m high and 2m wide, just imagine the smoke if not the flames!

We dropped a bag of ' English style goodies' at our neighbours house (no-one in) and he came round later with a bag of 'French style goodies'. Whilst here he mentioned that they had a wild bore in the garden earlier, so it must have crossed the stream in the valley and gone up the other side. He called the local hunt, who came round immediately and shot it going towards someone else's garden. So that's a potential problem resolved until the next one turns up @Daphne. I saw a video of a charging boar and it was the same size as the one we had visit.

No bonfires around here fortunately, but we do have hares and no rabbits, presumably because the ground gets too hard to dig. We were plagued by rabbits in the UK and lost a lot of veg to them.

Had an email on Thursday from a friend telling me that he would be over Friday with half a Sanglier (Wild Boar)- €45. It's pretty big, perhaps 15Kg (been skinned and gutted) and the job for this afternoon is to butcher it following the instructions in a video he gave me the link to. The price is based on the original weight, so around 90Kg. He assures me it doesn't taste 'gamey' ,so a strong flavour, it's more like pork, but the meat is much darker. So this is a first attempt, having only done chickens before, is a bit of a challenge..

Tell us how it went Beantree, I think €45 sounds pretty reasonable given how much boar meat products sell for (not that we ever see any).  I think that's a pretty good description of the flavour, I find it quite mild but richer than pork, I find venison much stronger for example.  I like it best slow cooked in a casserole of some sort, although if you can get some of it minced with the fat you can freeze it and make up patties, burgers etc later.  I hope it went well for you, and that you had use of some good knives/saws etc!

It must be cooked properly @Ursula123, so no rare steaks. Didn't know about the freezing though, if that's right?

We had rib steaks with the fillet attached last night @Daphne; tastes lovely, just a stronger pork flavour but still mild. What a time consuming process the butchering is. Watched a piece of the video a few times, did that bit and then watched some more. It's all vac packed (Lidl machine), labeled and in the freezer. Only thing I would do differently is save the half fillet from the rib section and freeze it with the rest from the front leg section. So, excluding watching the video, about 6 hours and I've still to tidy up. Used a large cool box with ice packs in to keep it all cool during processing and the butcher's table was made from a B&D workmate with a bread board clamped to it. Not sure I'd do it again, but perhaps in a spell of bad weather? Season has finished, so no more until 2024.