Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Very sweet, but i can only play it for a few seconds @ajm200?

A surprise statistic released today for British living in France. Only 100,000 have been granted residency permits post-Brexit, although I know some are still in process. That's a surprise because there were originally 200,000 in process, which jumped to 400,000 just before the deadline for applications. I know a significant reason for refusal is insufficient income, but I wouldn't have thought there would be that many, although I have been told pre-Brexit some people were on unemployment benefit, which here was (been changed) extremely generous compared to the UK. I do know that pre-Brexit there were estimated to be 2 million Brits living in France, so 95% illegally, because they hadn't declared their residency (over 6 months per year) and remained, in the eyes of the French, holiday home owners. Went to a garden party last week where it was mentioned that entire Brit communities have just vanished, as have all the tradespeople that worked here illegally. Someone also mentioned that one group he knew voted for Brexit, considering it wouldn't change anything; how wrong can you be?

I actually have two in my tiny garden, trying to make… well … more. They get dry cat food and extra water bowls. Wet cat food just attracts everyone I don’t need around.

I have so many videos, but sadly can’t post those here.

@mullethunter bit confused though that they are often active well into daylight. Is that because of breeding season?

Many years ago we had a huge one in the garden - used to run across the garden in daylight and boy did it move.   We saw 2 had been hit on the road just a short way away and presume it was ours  - was very sad and not seen any more since in the garden - have had badgers, foxes, pheasant, brown hare and feral cats though!!   Just a blooming zoo

On 7/11/2022 at 11:04 PM, mullethunter said:

I’m not sure - what do you mean by well into daylight? If you mean 6am ish that’s probably normal but 9am less so 🧐

6 am ish, 9 pm ish. But one day he/she was up and about intermittently all during the day. Think it was very hungry then, because it ate its way through lots of cat food.

But if 6 am ish is okay then I’m definitely less worried. Never been a hedgehog parent before!

On 7/12/2022 at 10:17 PM, mullethunter said:

That’s probably OK. Intermittently through the day is not normal but if that was just the once then hopefully it’s OK now. As you say, maybe for some reason it was just really hungry.

Flo the poltergeist doesn’t always “help” either… 😂

• Haha 1

Many years ago we found a severely dehydrated young hedgehog covered in fly eggs. Gave him water by syringe and spent two hours picking the eggs off. Too small to be out over Winter, Harry hibernated in a spare bedroom, waking up every few weeks to eat and drink. He grew quite large and when we let him out into the garden he gorged himself on snails. Strangely he disappeared and the snails began to return, so we decided to keep an eye out for a replacement. Young Harry appeared that evening by the roadside so was relocated to the garden. Few weeks later and Henry re-appeared and they both got on OK; both very tame and would happily sit on your lap for a fuss.

Announced this week were the measures to reduce France's energy consumption for space heating/ cooling by 25%. Maximum temperature for heating 17C and minimum for air-conditioning 26C. Whilst either are being employed no windows or doors are to remain open, which particularly applies to shops. Now they did say shops and offices/ workplaces, but I don't know if this is to apply to homes as well? Whilst our heating is set to 17C and the maximum temperature in the house has reached 26C, we had hoped to turn the heating up a degree and get air-conditioning to give us somewhere to recover from the Summer heat, so set to perhaps 20C in just one small area. Begs the question "how are they going to Police it?"

• Like 1

I would imagine its not applying to homes (yet?) There must be some official guidance somewhere, and I would have thought that France would be the last place where the ordinary population would allow somebody in to check!  17 for heating seems extraordinarily low, for a home and 26 isn't that cool for A/C.  Does it apply to hotels do you know?  I must look it up in case it applies to care homes for my MIL; hopefully its unlikely that healthcare settings have to follow the same rules.  Now I'm thinking about it, some workplaces (anywhere where heat is generated through machines or loads of computers for example) will be very unpleasant.

You've got my watering can!

How did she do it?! 

A few nights ago I did a double take after my nice freshly laundered and made up bed looked as though someone had taken a nap in it, left the sheet all over the place and flung the pillow on the floor.   It turns out that part of that sentence is correct, but the someone wasn't me or OH!

On 8/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Daphne said:

You've got my watering can!

How did she do it?! 

With a lot of wiggling!

On 8/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Daphne said:

A few nights ago I did a double take after my nice freshly laundered and made up bed looked as though someone had taken a nap in it, left the sheet all over the place and flung the pillow on the floor.   It turns out that part of that sentence is correct, but the someone wasn't me or OH!

That sounds really creepy!!!🫣

Yes it was a bit, I was on my own at the time.  My first thought was did I have a nap and forget about it (obviously not), followed by OMG is somebody else in the house.   Once I found a cat in the house (I thought they were all out), the answer became clearer, but its still a bit odd, the pillow moved quite a way.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:59 PM, Daphne said:

Yes it was a bit, I was on my own at the time.  My first thought was did I have a nap and forget about it (obviously not), followed by OMG is somebody else in the house.   Once I found a cat in the house (I thought they were all out), the answer became clearer, but its still a bit odd, the pillow moved quite a way.

I had something similar months ago when I came in the living room and it was littered with chewed up cat food/snack packaging and ALL couches/chairs were peed on. I didn’t find the cat-intruder until I came back from work that afternoon.

• Sad 1

Great pictures CT - it shows the ingenuity of the hedgehog, just like a squirrel.  He/she must be hungry, its so good you are looking out for him/her.

I hope you managed to get the stink out of the soft furnishings and haven't had a repeat performance.  I have read that sometimes cats that pee in the wrong place go back to it after we have cleaned up, to make it smell of them again.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, Daphne said:

Great pictures CT - it shows the ingenuity of the hedgehog, just like a squirrel.  He/she must be hungry, its so good you are looking out for him/her.

She was rather porky apparently, but had quite a cough tonight, so handed her in with the local wildlife aid. She probably has lung worm, but will be put back as soon as possible as she is a BIG lady. 

Curious if her hubby will turn up tonight.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, Daphne said:

I hope you managed to get the stink out of the soft furnishings and haven't had a repeat performance.  I have read that sometimes cats that pee in the wrong place go back to it after we have cleaned up, to make it smell of them again.

Red had big issues for a while after with peeing in the house. He has always done that, but he clearly wanted to make his statement over the intruder.

But as soon as I have a cat in heat in the neighbourhood, he’ll tend to start peeing everywhere again.