Nicola O

Dog Attack - Sad Update

My dog.......totally my fault & feeling SO guilty....

Boris (cockerel) sleeps in the brick shed next to the house (It's more sound proof than the coop for the early morning crowing) and gets taken out and placed in the run with his girls at 8am. This morning I did not notice that Rosie (new dog I've only had a couple of months) slipped out the back door behind me so as I lifted Boris out she went for him :( . I had to kick her off him (not too hard, just enough so she let go) and scooped him up, but Rosie had him round the neck and Boris now has a huge, deep skin tear round the back of his neck, and if you lift it you can see the tissue and muscle underneath.

He has been rushed to the chicken vet, and left there for the wound to be flushed and stitched. The triage nurse was explaining about chooks and anaesthetic, shock etc - things I know but I suppose she has to tell me these things. I'm being hopeful, as he wasn't sat in total shock, was in fact quite 'interactive' at the vets, and it wasn't bleeding too much but it must hurt like hell.

Just got home for a cup of tea to steady the nerves before I go into work. I'll let you know how he gets on, but please :pray: for him.

Nicola

Edited by Guest

Oh dear Nicola :( Poor Boris and you what a shock!! Have been off the forum for a few days as I was feeling blue about losing my Florence....so only just found your post :oops:

Any news?? Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Boris and so he can be back with his ladies :wink:

:( He didn't make it :(

He got through the op but died in recovery :( . I know it was an accident, but I am SO,SO angry at myself as it was my carelessness that has cost Boris his life. He was a lovely boy, I hatched him myself 2 1/2 years ago and was so calm and placid and looked after his girls - he didn't deserve this.

Sorry, I'm having a wallow - had to hold it together at work after getting the call, but now having a bit of a blub.

Nicola :(

Oh I'm so sorry that Boris didn't make it through :(:cry: Animals can behave unpredictably and you did your best for Boris. At least you have some of his daughters to remind you of him :) I have 3 of my Monty's daughters and one especially has his neck colouring, which brings a smile to my face.

Do you think you might get another boy? Or will your ladies be ok?

A hug and best wishes to you. RIP Boris

I'm so sorry to hear your news, but please don't blame yourself - or the dog (I'm sure you don't, Rosie was only following instinct). It's what happens when you have animals, and sadly chickens are not the most robust of creatures. You did everything you could for Boris. If he's been running with your hens, do you have any fertile eggs you could hatch, so he leaves a legacy?

I'm so sorry to hear your news, but please don't blame yourself - or the dog (I'm sure you don't, Rosie was only following instinct). It's what happens when you have animals, and sadly chickens are not the most robust of creatures. You did everything you could for Boris. If he's been running with your hens, do you have any fertile eggs you could hatch, so he leaves a legacy?

Hi Olly, I do blame myself, but certainly do not blame Rosie - as you said, it was only instinct. Rosie is a rescue Sottie (so she's got the terrier instinct to boot), I've had her about three months and she does get excited when I see to the chickens, so have always kept her inside when Boris is popped in and out of the coop/shed - just this time she managed to sneak out.

Only one of his girls is laying at the moment, but I don't have a broody or incubater.

Nicola.

Oh I'm so sorry that Boris didn't make it through :(:cry: Animals can behave unpredictably and you did your best for Boris. At least you have some of his daughters to remind you of him :) I have 3 of my Monty's daughters and one especially has his neck colouring, which brings a smile to my face.

Hi Mimi. Unfortunately I don't have any baby Boris's. I was going to hatch his babies last year but with all the rain the garden (and the area where the broody coop is) kept flooding. I was planning to sort some sort of drainage for the garden this spring and then get back to hatching again. Perhaps when I do this I'll see about keeping a boy, it all depends on their temperment, and how loud they cock-a -doodle.

Nicola

Hi Mimi. Unfortunately I don't have any baby Boris's. I was going to hatch his babies last year but with all the rain the garden (and the area where the broody coop is) kept flooding. I was planning to sort some sort of drainage for the garden this spring and then get back to hatching again. Perhaps when I do this I'll see about keeping a boy, it all depends on their temperment, and how loud they cock-a -doodle.

Nicola

Mimi - you must think me a right eejit - of course I have his little girlies. I was thinking of last year when I wasn't able to hatch, but completely forgot that I hatched his babies the year before - the little Pekin crosses. You must have wondered what I was talking about, after all you know all about them as you nearly had Boris's son. I obviously wasn't thinking straight when I posted that :oops::wink:

Nicola