patsylabrador

Electric oven questions

I've always used gas ovens before but my new one is electric. I thought it would be fun to try something different. Excuse me if this is daft. The oven has an integral grill which is at the top and an option to use. Im used to separate grills. My question is, do I leave the oven door open when I'm using what I think is called the radial grill? It makes sense to leave the door open but I couldn't find it mentioned in the instruction booklet.

Also, I bake lots of rolls during a week and am used to the more moist air of a gas oven. Is there anything I should know about baking bread rolls in an electric oven?

My electric oven and two ovens. The bottom one is a normal oven and the top one is where the grill is, but can also be used as an oven. When I grill, I leave the door open. I agree with QC, if you want a steamier oven for breads, then a tray with some water added is great :) I do like an electric oven and would love a dual fuel oven as a I love the versatility of a gas gob. Mine is a ceramic one which is great, but sometimes it can be a bit frustrating.

My cooker has a gas hob, and 3 electric ovens; a top oven, which doubles as a grill when the door is left open, A fan oven which bakes lovely cakes, and a multi-function oven, which can be used with or without the fan. If I am using the fan option to keep the heat even, I always add a ramekin of water at the bottom of that oven to make sure the air in their is moist to stop the contents from drying out.

We have a gas hob (thank goodness) and an electric oven. Its a double oven with the grill in the smaller, top oven. You have to leave the door open when grilling. As its about shoulder height for me I keep forgetting I am grilling and walk into it. A supper of fish fingers can leave me black and blue.

I'd much prefer a gas hob but we don't have mains gas down the lane, and although we could run one of tanks the amount of times we've run out of heating oil makes me glad I decided to put up with an electric hob, and to be fair it's pretty good and responsive. Plus because it's a small kitchen it provides extra workspace when not in use.

My oven is under the counter with the hob on top so when grilling bacon and frying eggs on the hob with the top oven/grill door open I get rather warm blasts.

We moved 2 years ago leaving behind our gas hob and as there is no gas in the village we now have an induction hob and I have to say I love it. It is quick and responsive like gas but as soon as you remove the pan from the heat it goes off. It also remains really cool as it works magnetically somehow :? I really think these would be a good idea for elderly people as there is no chance of them catching anything alight or putting their hands on a red hot ring.

Well I've made two batches of rolls and they came out beautifully, so very pleased with that. I did a big roast with all the trimmings yesterday and that was lovely too, the roast spuds were especially nice so I was very pleased with that too. I think that I really like the electric oven. I kept the hob gas as I could and that is what I'm used to.

I've also experimented grilling with the door shut and that seemed fine.

Thank you for your information.

Hate the ceramic hob on my current cooker (Smeg)...the one I had before on a very old cooker was brilliant....this one is sooo slow.....for veg you have to put boiling water from the kettle in the saucepan first or you won't have supper until a week next Wednesday! The grill is also slow, but I don't use it for more than cheese on toast or browning usually (no bacon here, we're veggie!) so it's not too much of an issue. It's in a separate oven like Bluekarin's and that door stays open when I'm using it....so it conveniently heats up all the cooker controls..(thanks Smeg). The oven is about the only OK thing about the whole cooker. I long for a gas hob...(we have gas in the house and everything, but I was told they are too messy to clean!) but the chances of having anything other than the current one in this lifetime are very slim indeed, since OH is a dab hand at repairs, and the parts are easily obtainable online! grrrr

I couldn't bear to be without a gas hob and an electric oven. Ditto to all you say sadietoo, I hate going to my Mum's and having to manage the electric hob that time forgot, not to mention OH's meltdown every time he is faced with it :roll: BTW - gas hobs are easy to clean :D

But although I love the electric oven I have never got on with the grills in ovens very well. Its fine when you have a small top oven with a grill in it (and I leave the door open) but if you have an all in one single oven with grill in it I find the grill takes an age to heat up. I also spent one year in one house routinely burning myself as it was just all at the wrong height for me and it looked as though I was self-harming, although in reality I was being lazy and not bending down enough to slide the grillpan in properly :(

Its fine when you have a small top oven with a grill in it (and I leave the door open) but if you have an all in one single oven with grill in it I find the grill takes an age to heat up.

Completely agree. A friend of mine has a grossly expensive oven complete with 6 burner gas hob, but it's one huge oven with the grill in it so it's one or the other and the grill is either scorch everything to black or nothing.

I love my little top oven/grill as it means you can brown things off whilst other things are cooking in the main oven, or have the top oven on low to warm serving dishes, keep veg warm, or rest meat whilst other things are still cooking away.

[quote name="Daphne"BTW - gas hobs are easy to clean :D(

Completely agree Daphne..... It is OH with the bee in his bonnet about cleaning the hob not me :roll: which is quite surprising really because he hasn't really had that much practice at cleaning the ceramic one in the ten years we've owned our current oven :?