patsylabrador

Election night - love or hate?

Whatever the outcome I do enjoy election night. All the swingometers and graphics and all the rubbish spouted by almost everyone.

I usually give up around 2am and go to bed feeling slightly elated or deflated. I don't think it will be at all clear by then this time.

We've got some snacks and strong coffee in ready and DD, MS and YS are going to camp out in front of the TV.

I anticipate that OH will snore in front of the TV.

Personally! I don't like it. All the waffle about what might be before they even know what might be. I think any programmes about it should start half an hour before the polls close, and not 3 hours before. Its a bit like the difference between a rugby and a football match being shown on tv. Football pregame chit chat starts 2 hours before whereas rugby starts 30 mins before. Enough time to get you in the mood, but not too long to drag it out. Will be interested to hear the outcomes tomorrow morning though.

I don't mind it, per se, but just get fed up with the endless speculations (based on little information) simply because they have nothing else to report. The outcome will be whatever the populace have voted for, irrespective of what they waffle on about. By all means give regular updates, but to fill the schedule is a bit OTT, IMHO.

Plus I think that all opinion polls need to be banned in the last week before an election... :roll:

Love it....will never forget 1997 or the morning after, walking into work :D I've watched most of the televised debates, now watching a drama broadcast from the Donmar Warehouse in real time called The Vote and then will watch the coverage of the real thing (has to be BBC I'm afraid, I need Jeremy Vine and a Dimbleby to reassure me), then will fall asleep, will wake up in early hours and switch on the radio. I couldn't sleep when it was the Scottish vote either. OH reminded me that 5 years ago on election night, we were out at a local Gilbert and Sullivan am dram production and they shoehorned a few lines about the election in :D

I love it. I always watch. British politics is at a turning point. So pleased to see so many young people more engaged and the turn outs have gone up too. I just don't understand people who don't exercise their democratic right. We are so lucky to live in a democracy. I feel particularly strongly as a woman that I must vote, we fought for the right. I vote for the candidate that I feel has the most integrity. We live in one of the important marginals this time which makes it extra interesting.

I managed about an hour and a half of sleep but now very into it, in bed with the TV on. Might have to go in search of food soon though. :roll:

Radio on all night, heard bits and pieces between sleep, then listened properly from about 6, now the TV is on. You are so right, Chickencam, where to start, SNP, LibDems, Labour, the high % of the vote going to UKIP and Greens. There are so many fundamental issues, and potentially so many fundamental changes on our political system. I totally agree with you about voting, and a couple of years ago I found a piece of suffragette enamel jewellery when my uncle died. I think it belonged to my aunt's aunt, its very precious to me. I have also discovered my Nan and Great grandmother on the other side of the family were both on the electoral roll in 1918, and my own mother is extremely politically aware, in fact more than anybody else I know. I feel blessed to be part of the tradition. As it happens, I had a small bet on the outcome, and I have nearly been proved right, just waiting for the final results to come in :D

ANH - amazing :D

Spent all night on the sofa watching tv - dozing fairly extensively at times, I think :oops: - but overall I found the coverage really engaging if slightly annoying with all the "what ifs ..." I've found the whole process really fascinating, more so than ever before - we are SO flippin' lucky to have the chance to vote (it being VE day today somehow seems to ram that home even more?) I was quite impressed how many people were around when I went to vote yesterday, it's usually deserted so that was heartening.

Radio on all night, heard bits and pieces between sleep, then listened properly from about 6, now the TV is on. You are so right, Chickencam, where to start, SNP, LibDems, Labour, the high % of the vote going to UKIP and Greens. There are so many fundamental issues, and potentially so many fundamental changes on our political system. I totally agree with you about voting, and a couple of years ago I found a piece of suffragette enamel jewellery when my uncle died. I think it belonged to my aunt's aunt, its very precious to me. I have also discovered my Nan and Great grandmother on the other side of the family were both on the electoral roll in 1918, and my own mother is extremely politically aware, in fact more than anybody else I know. I feel blessed to be part of the tradition. As it happens, I had a small bet on the outcome, and I have nearly been proved right, just waiting for the final results to come in :D

ANH - amazing :D

We also had a flutter on the result OH put £2 on at 6/1 about a month ago and then noticed last night that the odds had come out to 10/1 so another £1 went on, he is £25 to the good now :D

Your OH and I are of the same mind then, I had also thought this would be the outcome for a long time but I was amazed when I looked at the odds last night at 9pm; I got 12-1! I think we can give ourselves a huge pat on the back for our perspicacity - the result seemed to have eluded 99% of the official pollsters and pundits :D

My winnings took 4 of us out to lunch at a local caff, with sufficient alcohol to drown certain people's sorrows at the result :lol: