Cat tails

How to clean an Eglu in 10 minutes!

So I thought it would be nice for prospective buyers to see how easy it is to clean an Eglu. But also for some of the new users to give some ideas about cleaning.

I made a little picture cartoon, using my own Go Up and my own cleaning routine. All pictures were taken during the same clean and even with picture taking the whole process didn't take longer than about 15 minutes. Hope you like it!

Omlet%20cleaning%20ENG%20klein%2012_zpswaikkt4r.jpg

Omlet%20cleaning%20ENG%20klein%2022_zpsv2mwbeis.jpg

Ok so newbie here.  This is my first night with the hens in my eglu go up.  I feel like an idiot though because I filled the entire eglu with straw.  But I can tell from your pictures that’s not what I should have done! Do you lock your chickens up at night in the eglu?  I have three, how do they decide who gets the nesting area? Do the others just sleep on the plastic on either side of the the nesting dip bit?  I bought mine second hand so maybe didn’t get all the instructions?  Going to follow your other suggestions for cleaning though.  Thanks!

Hi!

Definitely no straw as red mite can hide in and between the straws, also chickens don’t do well with dust. I use wood chips in the nesting dip, others will use something like aubiose (horse bedding). I wouldn’t use wood shavings as especially in winter it tended to go mouldy with me.

In the wild, chickens roost in trees, meaning on branches. So they should sleep on the plastic bars, not in the nesting dip. It will encourage broodyness, and they might poop in the nesting dip. Meaning you need to clean it more often than really necessary. But don’t worry for now where they sleep, they will find a spot.

Depending on your local situation, closing the coop door is a choice. I close mine, because of the early mornings and to keep all my very close neighbours happy. If you have foxes in your area, I would close the coop, although technically the omlet run is fox resistent, if assembled correctly.

And most importantly: enjoy your new chickens!

Thank you Cat Tails.  My hens are on my allotment and we’ve seen plenty of fox and other animal activity so will definitely be closing the coop door every night!  It makes more sense now and I think I’ll save the straw for the pumpkin patch and go pick up some wood chips for the nesting dip.  After posting my comment I kept reading and feel more prepared and knowledgeable in general about chicken keeping!  This forum is pure gold!  I feel lucky that my girls all found their own way into the coop last night,  I showed up to shut the door, no fuss, no drama, just a bit of patience!  I like your cleaning method because we don’t have running water so “hosing down” anything isn’t an option.  

I don’t have an outside tap, so my hose has to cross my living room to reach the tap in the kitchen. Especially in winter far from ideal! But it’s far from my own idea, as some here were already using the wet wipes. I use the ones from the Lidl.

• Thanks 1

Can wet wipes be composted?  I'm thinking because of the chemicals, no.  Does anyone know of a brand that can be composted?  Or if I switch wet wipes for paper towel and just water, or disinfectant do you think I could compost?  I mean on my own compost heap at the allotment, not the council green bins. Otherwise I'd have to take all the wipes and anything else home with me, which is doable, but it would be easier if I could throw everything on the compost pile.

I think some wet wipes contain plastic so wouldn’t compost - like you I would imagine the detergent might not be great either. 

I don’t have any bedding in the tray under the roosting bars, so I just scrape the poo straight into the compost and that’s it. Then every month or so I pressure wash and then spray with virkon and leave to dry before replacing.

I’m not saying this is the right or even the best way, but it works for me and means I don’t have any ‘consumables’.

• Thanks 1