AndyRoo

The deed is done! MWAHAHAHAHA!

When we got our 3 earlier this year every egg was a double yolker. The excitement this generated between 2 adults one of which was a country bumpkin settled in London was extraordinary. We were like kids. Our teenage son shook his head - he was however very taken with a fried double yolker egg. Hope you get some double yolkers too. Nice that the neighbour is friendly. Like the idea of trading eggs for fruit - go for it. :D

Well we used the egg in a cake today - no double yolk, but we did notice that the egg white was very thick for some reason?

I didn't know if that was because of some natural variation or something?

Sadly no additional eggs today, but you never know, maybe tomorrow!

I meant to say congratulations on your first egg too :dance:

It's amazing the difference between a shop egg and a home grown one isn't it :D

I remember the first time I tried a home grown egg. I thought to myself "that's disgusting!", but then remembered that's what they are actually meant to taste like if you don't buy supermarket battery hen produced eggs!

I had a similar thought the first time I ever tried an actual meat sausage as opposed to the offal that is usually in them!

If I had room, I'd probably grow all my own fruit and veg too. It's all so much nicer than the shop bought stuff!

Well we used the egg in a cake today - no double yolk, but we did notice that the egg white was very thick for some reason?

I didn't know if that was because of some natural variation or something?

Sadly no additional eggs today, but you never know, maybe tomorrow!

that's because it's fresh the runnier the white the older the egg. you'll also find that you'll need to learn how to cook fresh eggs. I still can't fry fresh eggs 6 years in from first egg

egg shell thickness varies from breed to breed and hen to hen as well as the time of year and were in each egg cycle the egg is that goes for the colour/ shade of brown eggs as well, blue eggs should stay the same shade but you'll see that bit for yourself when you get blue eggs

If I had room, I'd probably grow all my own fruit and veg too. It's all so much nicer than the shop bought stuff!

I grew quite a lot this year and found it really satisfying. Most things (not all) tasted better, but mostly I just liked that the food miles were about 10 yards.

What's really starting to bother me though is eating commercially produced animal products. It's not killing an animal to eat it that I have a problem with. I've recently found a local farm which raises free range chickens which are hand slaughtered on the farm, and we get park from a friend who raises the pigs himself and has them slaughtered on his premises, and I have no problem with eating them at all. What bothers me is things like dairy cows being kept in calf but the calves being removed really young so milk is always produced...things like that. Even though I only eat eggs from mine or my mums chickens, I know the male chicks which hatched at the same time as my mms hybrids possibly went into the mincer...

Anyway - upshot of all this is that although I never have, and really still don't want to be vegetarian or vegan - I'd be much happier if I had a smallholding and could be relatively self sufficient.

It makes no odds to me!

I couldn't be vegan, though; I'm pretty sure I'd starve to death. I struggled enough being vegetarian because I am allergic to mushrooms and for some reason every single meat substitute (and in fact most veggie meals) seemed to contain them!

But it only lasted 3 months and then I reverted back. Little piggies tasted too nice in the form of bacon. Sorry piggies!!

Anyway, reverting back to the original topic: we got another egg from the white star today, but still nothing from the bluebelle. I'm beginning to feel cheated! :lol:

I have never owned a White star, but she does look older than point of lay to me.

The white star is laying now, although she does seem to have a somewhat irregular laying patten. This morning we had an egg waiting for us at about 9:30, but the other day she didn't lay until about midday.

It's the bluebelle who is refusing to cough up (as it were). I'm probably expecting too much too soon.

We have been impressed by how quiet the white star has been when laying, though. If she is singing a little "here's one I made earlier" song, she's doing it very subtly. :lol:

:lol:

Lucky you!

Ginger announced thin air just now! And was very happy with herself too...

Non of my birds lay every day. It takes more than 24 hours to make an egg. So times will vary. Ginger does an egg whenever she feels like if. Never has been regular. My other hens did one every two days. It will vary according to breed and specific hen.

I have never owned a White star, but she does look older than point of lay to me.

The white star is laying now, although she does seem to have a somewhat irregular laying patten. This morning we had an egg waiting for us at about 9:30, but the other day she didn't lay until about midday.

It's the bluebelle who is refusing to cough up (as it were). I'm probably expecting too much too soon.

We have been impressed by how quiet the white star has been when laying, though. If she is singing a little "here's one I made earlier" song, she's doing it very subtly. :lol:

they will lay at slightly different times each day as it takes about 26hrs to make an egg just over half of which is day light, but youngsters are all over the place for a few weeks

the bluebelle might not even be in lay yet but the next few days should confirm if she is laying I doubt she'll go more than 10 days after a move to lay an egg and if she had laid a couple of days before or the day you got her she might have laid with in a day or so and then took a short break

one sure sign she's ready to lay is if she crouches for you if you come up behind her ( wings up knees slightly bent) but she might set see you as a suitable 'daddy' for her off spring yet! is the only way I can put it in print :lol:

one sure sign she's ready to lay is if she crouches for you if you come up behind her ( wings up knees slightly bent) but she might set see you as a suitable 'daddy' for her off spring yet! is the only way I can put it in print :lol:

Well if that's the case, she is wasting her time - only Big Bird from Sesame Street does it for me. lol :lol:

She's eating like a horse, far more than any of the others. It's actually to the point where I am thinking of buying a second 'grub' so the others get a look in. The rest of them are happy scratching around for bits in the woodchip, although I suppose they must be eating enough or presumably the one girl wouldn't be laying!

One little grub between 5 hybrids is nowhere near enough Andy. You will find the lowest in the pecking order won't get enough feed to stay warm and produce eggs and so won't lay. They may get ill in Winter as well because they won't get enough just to stay warm. Perhaps you should have 3 grubs?

We use the large floor feeders and never have more than 3 hens for each. So 4 hens have two feeders and (just as importantly) have two drinkers nearby as well.

Edited by Guest

They now have a gravity feeder, which one of them has attempted to use as a swing! :roll: Silly cow...

I watched them for a bit and they do seem to prefer that more than the grub, so I may well end up getting another one and doing away with the grub altogether. Although that will probably happen next year when the garden is re-done and we can extend the run another meter.

We also got home to learn we have been rewarded with yet another egg from our white star, so that was nice.

Well, I have formally switched my allegiance to 2 gravity feeders. Although the grub was being used, it was mostly just by the bluebelle.

Incidentally the bluebelle (Pepper) has still not gotten the memo about laying eggs yet - I'm beginning to wonder if she ever will.

Our little white star is living up to her name, though; we've only had 2 days without an egg since she started! YAY!