Cinnamon

Our French Adventure - update.

Quick update from the beautiful & sunny Dordogne valley.

We have only gone & moved into the house! :P:P:P

I would post photos but Photobucket is no more (for me anyway)

So, photos on the blog page here - lots of the new kitchen.....work is now carrying on so that we have a shower before long - we are using the caravan as a shower block at the moment :roll:

https://www.facebook.com/fermesauvage/

Wow! Well done and congrats to you two on all the hard work. Must be luxury now you are out of the caravan! A long way from H.O.T!

I am not on Facebook so, when I click on the link,I have approx 1 min to see as much as possible before a big square comes up blocking the screen and inviting me to log in :roll: However, it does look wonderful.....can't wait to come and stay in one of your gites :wink:

Wow! Well done and congrats to you two on all the hard work. Must be luxury now you are out of the caravan! A long way from H.O.T!

I am not on Facebook so, when I click on the link,I have approx 1 min to see as much as possible before a big square comes up blocking the screen and inviting me to log in :roll: However, it does look wonderful.....can't wait to come and stay in one of your gites :wink:

Do you use Instagram?

I might put a few photos on there if so :)

Look for cinnamonbaysarah

Instagram :shock: ? Dear Lady, I've only just traded in my quill pen and parchment (how I miss them :cry: ) so sadly, no, but will keep diving onto your link and making the most of my 50 second window :lol:

Seriously you have done a wonderful job and I think you are so brave to go for it and follow your dream!

BTW how did you get on with registering for the health stuff? I know you said, at one point, that they'd 'lost' your details and you were having to re submit everything?

Did you take your little car with you, or get one over there?

We sold my little Panda before we went & bout an almost new LHD T5 van, which the husband LOVES but I hate, & refuse to drive.

It is huge, imho, & although it is very useful for picking up materials & pulling the big trailer, it is no good for me popping to the shops. I struggle getting into it too, due to a hip problem.

In consequence I have not driven for 15 months!

I don't miss it - the French are appalling drivers of the 'shut your eyes,put your foot down & hope' variety :roll::lol:

Maybe I will get a little runaround at some point, but there is no rush.

Is there another way to load photos on here now???

According to French Government published figures there are currently 600,000 people driving without a licence and 700,000 driving without insurance! The reason so many cars have minor bumps and s"Ooops, word censored!"es unrepaired is due to the insurance system not having a protected no claims bonus scheme. It takes 12 years to accrue full no claims of 60%, so people don't claim: it's cheaper to pay for the repair themselves.

I agree about the 'shut your eyes and hope', although many drivers are very old and don't need to take a retest to keep driving over 70. If they never took a test they can still drive a speed restricted 'sans permis' vehicle which are limited to about 30 mph. You certainly need your 'emergency stop' licence training in France!

Driving in France is definately an eye opener.

There are a lot of British cars in the area I live and each time I go out and spot one I take down the registration and check with DVLA, in the five months I have been here only two cars have not been SORN, this means they bring the car from the UK and declare it SORN and drive it here without insurance, so it's not the French I worry about but the uninsured Brits.

:shock:

There aren't many Brits here, but I have to say that that sort of behaviour goes on, would not have occurred to me :(

I have done a similar trip to DM and whilst it wasn't too bad when I was driving, OH had the delight of driving into Florence. On the tenth trip round the same roundabout, unable to get off for vespas, eventually he just took the nearest available exit, found himself in an underground car park, got out and marched into the nearest bar for a brandy :lol: