Grandmashazzie

Dog chews

I have just got an adorable golden retriever pup, Elsa, sorry pics are beyond me at moment. Elsa loves to chew, especially the dining table and chairs. I have spent a fortune on dental chews as if I give her one the other two have to get. I gave her a butchers bone, leg of cow it looked and when at the vets for jabs the vet said bones were not recommended as they could break her teeth. Any suggestions or do you just give raw bones. I have had a good many dogs and never had problem. I was on some dog whisperers site and he recommended calves feet and bulls "Ooops, word censored!"els which get very bad feedback on other sites.

Dental sticks are the equivalent of us eating a bar of chocolate and so not really required, quite high calories and dont last long - but you can get hide chews which help but puppies you have to be careful of them swalowing big bits and then having a blockage. Lots of tuggers (raggers are great) and other toys which are her own would be good.

Antlers. Ours have had theirs for a couple of years now and have still not made much impact. Reindeer shed their antlers naturally and some clever soul thought of sawing them up for dog chews. They are expensive to buy initially but last very well and have few/no calories. Asa was given hers after she'd been spayed and was so obsessed with it she didn't touch her stitches. Ours get them as a treat, not as a day to day toy - the constant grinding noise can get a little wearing.

Toy-wise, Asa loves her Kong and her Kong tyre, and a bouncy spiky ball thing that cost a whole £1.50 from B&M. B&M do cheap hard plastic tuggies as well, but she's now capable of destroying those. Plastic drinks bottles are still a favourite because they are so noisy. Take off the top and any loose plastic round the neck before you give it to her, let her clonk around with it, and replace it when she starts to destroy it.

Asa also loves anything she can steal - plastic wrappers, lolly sticks, letters, gloves... . She usually doesn't chew these, just hides them in her bed and I find them when I come to take the cover out for washing :roll:

She’s a cutie :x my pup had cows hooves they can chew and we’ve got quite a collection he will still go and get one and have a chew regularly, just have to watch out as they’re painful when you tread on them!  I get other dehydrated bits from zooplus, scalp, tendons and pizzles.  

Thank you all,she has grown so much. Carrots are a big hit,apart from mega mess on floor. She seems a clever wee dog, very quickly caught on to barking to go out to pee and bark to get in again.She has started a quick bark as the foster baby stirs for feed to wake My OH who bless him sleeps in living so I can have nights sleep, dogs in kitchen beside him. He says we should send her to be a hearing dog.

Sooo cute :D

I know lots of people use antlers and love them. Our (housemates) dogs get bones big enough that they can't swallow and flat rawhide chews, the problem with the layered/rolled ones is that they can swallow bits that then unravel in the stomach.