Merlah

New flock moved in today!

Hello everybody :)

After I've received some lovely help from the forum when running into trouble during the assembly of our walk in run I wanted to introduce our flock to you! They are Silver, Flint, Harriet and Turret!  They moved in today and immediately started digging and eating whatever they could find! I am curious when we will find the first eggs.

Over time the plan is to put some perches in the run and a little sandbath. Ideally I will try and find a cheap table that fits the eglu so they have a bit more space to run around. Any suggestions are very welcome! I can't wait to make the whole thing even better for them! :)

chickens.jpg

chicken coop.jpg

• Haha 1

They are pure breed bantams, two Wyandottes, one Barnevelder and one Australorp :) We really wanted a mixed flock and I am glad that we got the chance to do it.

Tree stumps and branches on the ground are a great idea, will definitely keep my eyes open for some! 

Ooh, that looks very smart! They will be well protected in there too, by the look of it :)

Our eglus are raised up as well so a table would be great.  Just needs some perches and stumps and they will be in chook heaven!  Ours free range a lot but have an old wooden garden chair in their run to perch on. 

Edited by Charlottechicken

I miss the old Aviaries4U runs, ours is looking a bit tired now - we planned to spend a lot on a new one once we moved house last year but doesn't look like we're moving now!

It's a laminated wooden table so easy to wipe down - no more places to hide than a WIR panel.

The black and white, and the brown one are Wyandotte, the white one is an Australorp an the black-brown one is the Barnevelder. 

The run is from happychicks. :) Took us way longer than it should have to build it, we're definitely not the handy kind! We build some perches as well during the weekend, although I haven't seen them used a lot yet! They are settling in so well, and they've caught on to the fact that humans can mean food, it's the cutest thing how excited they get as soon as I head out to the garden, brave little things. 

Thanks for the IKEA suggestion! This will be a great excuse for a visit, I just had a look at the website and the Melltorp table seems like it might just fit. 

ab2016ac-26e6-438b-b39f-29fd4f815739.jpg

Flint.jpg

I just wanted to show you our improved coop! The table is from Ikea and fits the eglu really well. The girls have not quite figure out that it's the place to sleep at night, although they are using the nestbox during the day... Silly chooks. I also added a dustbath today, they haven't tried it out yet though.. 

Also in good news: Our Barnevelder has started laying! So we are just waiting for the first egg of our brown Wyandotte :)

Today we had a prolapse scare. It looked just like it (I google plenty of images, yikes) and she had trouble pooing with it. I gave her a little while to see what happened, but after a few minutes it still hadn't improved. So she had a lovely warm bath to get her cleaned up, and then when I wanted to treat the prolapse suddenly it looked just fine! I will keep an eye on her, but I am wondering whether it was a false scare or if I just caught it so early that a warm bath was all she needed. She surprisingly also enjoyed the hairdryer before she got to rejoin the gang outside :D

05970a9f-cf23-4c3c-aa19-4dc38f92f521.thumb.jpg.55ef016f6d050d240b764de57b254f62.jpg

Edited by Merlah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other day I made use of the 10% off everything on the omlet website and bought 21m of chicken fencing :D Surprisingly it was a perfect fit for the area I wanted to fence off around their coop! They love digging around the gravel and have apparently found many bugs already (followed by a wild chase by every hen that didn't find the bugs). At the moment it's a bit difficult letting them out lots thanks to rain AND snow, here is hoping for better weather soon! 

They are laying a fab collection of eggs though and are all surprisingly well timed, three of them each lay an egg every other day, we're still waiting for the fourth one to start at some point. (Also yes, we really don't eat enough eggs at the moment!) 

eggs.jpg

Edited by Merlah
  • Thanks 1

We have actually found out who lays which eggs! 

Starting on the bottom left: the Australorp lays the almost white ones, the Barnevelder lays the large very smooth and cream ones, and the silver Wyandotte lays the light matte brown ones with tiny white dots. 

We have now installed a camera watching the coop at all times, it's lovely being able to tune in and see what the girls are doing when I am out! Although it does feel a bit crazy haha 

On 05/04/2018 at 7:23 PM, Merlah said:

We have now installed a camera watching the coop at all times, it's lovely being able to tune in and see what the girls are doing when I am out! Although it does feel a bit crazy haha 

I would love a camera inside the egg box to see who is doing what.

What did you buy ?

On 3/12/2018 at 11:29 PM, Lewis said:

IKEA do a cheap table that fits the eglu perfectly

Do you remember the model of the table, Lewis?

On 3/25/2018 at 6:30 PM, Merlah said:

The table is from Ikea and fits the eglu really well.

Merlah, what model is your table, please?