Plum

My hens are a pain in the neck!

Things have chugged along fairly well for a while apart from losing a couple of my old girls. 

Currently I have an 8 year old pekin and two young ginger hybrids.  They are all friends and no aggression but one has been progressively been losing more and more feathers.  Anyway a couple of weeks ago a nasty wound appeared on her back where I presume someone had a tasty meal of a new feather and made her bleed and carried on.  They got sprayed with Johnsons smelly stuff then moved on to Nettex anti peck and ended up with bumpa bits given supplements and extra protien.  Crow the squawky pekin (who crows and has nice spurs but not laid for donkeys years) decided she couldn't eat with the bumpa bit on so I took it off and isolated her. 

Maggie's feathers are regrowing nicely and then Robin other hybrid decided to have a prolapse which looks as though it's been attacked as well.  So now she's isolated and Crow is back out and bumpa bit on again.  I go out for day and come back to find Maggie with big bald patches.  Arrghhh!!!

So now I have them all isolated!! and off to find another house tomorrow. 

Lesson don't take peaceful chickens for granted.9_9

Oh yes they love to make a noise.  Crow is squawking and crowing away down the garden at the moment.  Probably seen a daffodil.

Run rebuilding today, thank goodness I've kept the old cube run.  I can knock together great dividers using a panel at the bottom and netting tied to canes to bring it up to size at the top.  Doors are more challenging.  

Friends little house is pretty rotten and felted roof that looks dodgy so I'll stick to a cat carrier for one house.

I love tag ties!:D

Edited by Plum

Pretending to be innocent girls.  Silly Robin laid a ginormous egg this morning but the dwellings going down and neurotic bruised area is just protruding about an inch so hopefully she's going to heal.  Run now adapted into 3 large areas  so back in the sinbin they go 9_9:D

20180415_131354.thumb.jpg.af07ad7f10e8f09315b5cd76e11c706d.jpg

6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I wonder if they are having mood swings because of the weather?

I don’t wonder, I know. Also coming back to the egg laying business makes them on edge. Pickwick is always really antsy about laying and it will take her the best part of an hour, popping in and out of the coop, running around screaming and sitting on the nest screaming... With her I really do understand why her previous owners dumped her. The sound she makes is a ear piercing screeching...:wall:

oh my!  Poor thing!  

:lol: Catsy - with Tipsy, she was the only one to whinge when laying was imminent.  She ran up and down (headless mode) going oooooh and mostly ahhh arrrr ahhhhhh.  Now announcement I thought Kitty silkie was the noisiest - but Skye pekin was loud and long - she even yelled with her mouth full of treats when I tried to get her to hush!  Thank goodness she's too old!  

Hurrah good news.  Robins prolapse has gone, at least unless she's pooing and she's no longer dripping from the bum.  She's still got some dead tissue but I can't get to it so it'll have to come off by itself.  I'll leave her isolated a bit longer.

On the other hand the diva was trying to peck her bum yesterday in the garden.  Then at 5.30 this morning was having a good crow. Grrr!  How long do Pekins live >:( xD

I am glad Robin is better again. Prolapses are grim especially when it gets hot and flies come out.  Over the years I've kept chickens I have come to the conclusion that they are one of the hardest to keep pets I've had. Fancy rats and hammies and even dogs you just keep clean and well fed on the correct food and take them out and have fun with them. Chickens seem to get all sorts of nasties however clean they are kept and regardless of whether or not I fork out on the most expensive Garvo food.