Martin B

Hermit Crabs

Hello everybody,

I am looking to get another pet! :oops:

I would like something that I can keep indoors, is very hardy and needs little maintenance. Also, it has to be unusual, so not a hamster a fish or a rat! :shock:

I like exotic animals, and I am aware that slightly more exotic animals are becoming more and more available in modern day pet shops.

I have narrowed my list down to 2 options. I am quite keen on hermit crabs, they look like a bundle of fun and when I visit local pet shops they always grab my attention the most. Does anybody have any experience with Hermit Crabs? Are they good/interesting pets?

Martin

I have two giant african land snails! cheap, easy to keep and interesting to watch.

They're shells about a hands length...

But one of them's been in hibernation for months :lol:

I've heard hermit crabs are supposed to be cool pets, and you can get really cool homes for them :) .

Ugh! Another one of my phobias....crabs!

My dad was always into exotic pets. He started with a marine fish tank with urchins, anenomes, clown fish & 'Colin the Sea cucumber'!!! :shock:

Then he converted it & had Australian Rainbow crabs in it. Lots of bog wood & :shock: about 6 inches of water. They were bright purple with red legs & quite big. I used to come in from school & couldn't see them in the tank. They used to stick their claws into the silicone of the tank, in the corners & climb up & out of the tank & go sleep on the warn cosy pump in the cabinet! :shock: Used to make me shudder!

Then my dad had 2 lizards. One water dragon (like a dinosaur) & one brown gheko (quite cute). But they eat live crickets. I remeber looking after them whilst mum & dad went on holiday. Me & my sister used barbecue tongs to feed them the crickets & we dropped a load on mums carpet. There were singing crickets in the living room for months after.

What do these hermit carb homes look like??? Any pictures?

Emma.x

Here is a website about hermit crabs (dont know how helpfull it is though)

http://www.reefandriver.com.au/hermits.htm

That website says"During this time they will become so friendly you will consider them one of the family."

What do they do exactly???

Run over to greet you as you walk in the door?

Lick your face?

Purr when you stroke them?

Laugh at your jokes?

Well what then.................. :think:

Natalie was pestering me a few weeks ago for some Hermit crabs :roll:

She saw some at our local petshop along with all the gear could could ever possibly need for them :roll: Little hammocks, dens, water dishes etc, also some glittery painted shells should the Crab feel the need to change shells.

If you google crabworx there is an extensive range of equipment for them.

I have talked her out of having a couple of crabs for now :D she won't forget though :roll:

I have to say I've looked up crabworx on google & ebay and well it's quite fascinating! I love the hammock you can buy and the diner! Well cool! I'm starting to 'get' what you see in the crab keeping hobby now.

I've seen a tank on ebay & various other bits. Won't they deliver?

Do you have a Wyevale garden centre near you? I bet they have hermits in their pet department. I know they have tree frogs!

Emma.x

P.S. I bet prongs would love to pet sit some hermits for you! :wink:

I wouldn't trust him with my animals again! Not after what he did to my bantams! :shock:

It looks like a very cool hobby, I know Notcutts Garden Centre sell both the hermit crabs and halloween crabs and some weird frogs and stuff! :lol: Pets at Home have a whole section for crabs! :lol: They have all the crabworx stuff. I don't like the crabworx tank it looks very small in "real life" I might get a larger fish tank. Ideally I would like 4 of them, apparently they can get lonely if kept in too small a number.

I watched a video somewhere on the net yesterday. It was of a little boy, and if he was good during the week he got a new hermit crab! :shock: He had a huge collection of them, and they were all had bright and interestingly patterned shells! :lol:

I don't like crabs, but I'm finding this quite interesting. I'll have to go & look at all this new craze stuff in Pets at Home.

I suppose you could paint your own shells with acrylic paint or nail varnish?

Stripy shells, spotty shells, glitter shells & maybe even one with a chicken on?

Yes the crabworx tank was small. But I think you can buy larger tanks similar meant for other reptiles / fish.

By the way, do they have to have like rock pools or are they mainly land animals? I was fasnated that they need drinking sponges. I always thought they drank water like any other animal, not from a sponge.

Emma.x

Oh my, I love crabs! I wish I hadn't read this thread as now I really want pet crabs!

We used to go to a garden centre that had a massive aquatic section and were always really taken with the crabs (all types, not just hermit)....mmm, wonder if I could tempt OH with the idea...... :?:wink:

I hope you get some Martin and then I can see how you get on first :D

I had two Giant African Land Snails, but they kept breeding, so i separated them, and they still kept breeding, as they can change sex, !!!, and they dont just have one baby at a time,!!!,

I had to find a good home for them in the end, as i just couldnt find enough room and homes for them all........ :?