mullethunter

Slipped Achilles tendon

During the day today I think my 4 week old silver campine bantam (cockerel I think) has somehow got a slipped Achilles’ tendon. His leg is at a very odd angle and he’s walking on that ‘heel’. Doesn’t seem to be causing him any discomfort - he’s seems perfectly normal in all other regards - but he is very much favouring the other leg and it is making him a bit wobbly.

On the internet ive found two different guides for trying to get the tendon to pop back into place (tried one method which didn’t work and will shortly try the next) but I wondered if any of the chicken experts around here have come across this and managed to fix it, or had a chicken who grew up and lived with it?

I’m pretty sure it only happened today. I haven’t managed to sort it out with either of the methods I found online, and to be honest it sounds like it’s quite likely that even if I do it could pop back out. I’ll see how he gets on over then next few days.

Interestingly it’s a chick who arrived (it’s one of two I bought as roughly day olds) had an unhealed naval and pasty vent for a few days, so possibly never the fittest individual although apart from this it seems very healthy now.

How would you cull a bird of this age?

**don't read further if you are squeamish**

Depends on the age of the bird - if they are just hatched, then using your thumb to 'bend' the neck over a sharp edge (a ruler is good for this) works. Wrap the chick in kitchen paper first. Older ones are best despatched with a kitchen knife just behind the head, on a hard surface. Again, wrap in kitchen paper or a small plastic bag first.

It sounds as if that chick wasn't viable :?

Well yes it does sound like that but he doesn’t look like it. 

Thanks for the advice. I couldn’t do that now but if he starts to suffer I think I will be able to. At the moment he’s fine in himself and it doesn’t seem to be causing him any discomfort - he’s racketing about with the others scrapping with the pekin chicks cockerel. I’ll see how we get on.

(the bad leg is the one behind him)

54EDCD2A-A6FE-4064-8550-93E43BB0E122.jpeg

Edited by mullethunter
Add text

Hi MT, I'm sorry to hear your tale of woe, I have vowed never to buy in day olds or a few days olds again, I only did it once and they were nothing but trouble in my case, although I know why we all do it - to give a broody something to raise and/or to give a singleton some flock mates.  Anyway, I do hope the little chap (yes I think that is a boy, rather a large comb for his age, although I am no campine expert) gets better.  If not, I second DM's advice, but I use a cleaver.  Although one would never wish ill health on any creature, it does make it easier to actually do the deed.  Good luck.

Difficult to say. A friend who takes on all sorts of waifs and strays wants to have him but at the moment I’m still monitoring him closely to see how his mobility changes and if he seems in pain. I’m sure he isn’t uncomfortable at the moment but I think (difficult to be sure because I’ve been working long days so haven’t seen him much) his mobility might be starting to become a problem - I’ve seen him siting a lot and not joining in so much with the rough and tumble.

Such a shame because he is a lovely and handsome chap, but I’m not terribly hopeful ☹️

On the plus side his sister is very pretty (and he only pullet I’m sure of)

4ED0043E-E7CA-4695-80D9-97084C1566DF.jpeg

The deed is done ☹️ That’s the first time I’ve ever purposefully killed anything by my own hands.

He suddenly got much worse so both legs were affected and were pointing in crazy directions - he could barely walk on them and was spending most of his time sitting - although he still didn’t seem unhappy I knew it was inevitable and once I’d decided that I couldn’t get it off my mind so had to do it sooner rather than later.

DONT READ IF SQUEAMISH 

I made a sort of killing cone out of a big milk carton and took his head off with brand new loppers. He didn’t seem stressed or frightened and it was over in an instant, but still left me feeling shaky for a little while.

Anyway - done now poor little chap. I know it was the right thing but I’m still upset by it.

I salute you.  I know how hard this is, especially the first time, although truth be told it doesn't get easier.  You did the right thing (well I expect you might be beating yourself up about it) but I for one can tell you, that you did do the right thing.  You didn't let him suffer at all.  You took the responsibility and its obvious you had respect for life.  Well done for that.  I have to admit that I allow myself indulgences after I have despatched, usually a small brandy.

Well done, sounds like you really did the right thing and I commend you for being responsible.

I'm quite confident in dispatching and don't dwell on it unless it's one of our own laying girls. I've euthanised many birds and companion animals now and it's weird to say I'm used to it, but you can't take every one personally or you wouldn't sleep at night.