mullethunter

Chickens attacked in hou

Background - my mum has a fairly new wooden chicken house with an onduline (I think) corrugated roof so small spaces under each corrugation. She shuts her girls in at night. The house is within an electric fence. We know there are rats in the run and she has seen one in the house before. The run has several holes with freshly excavated earth around them. She has had stoat attack in the past too - she lives in the countryside. She had 4 rescue hens and one hybrid black rock Mrs Black.

This morning she opened the house to find three of the rescue girls dead, the last rescue alive but has the appearance of being brain dead and having a broken neck (still breathing and has strength but eyes closed, head floppy and no coordination), Mrs Black seems reasonably alert and can sort of stand and stagger about but falls over easily through poor balance.

The only external injuries are abrasions either side of the back of their necks, but no puncture wounds.

Our top guess is a rat, but all were attacked in what, to me, seems like a very specific way for a rat, and the lack of teeth marks seems very odd. Also odd that we know there have been rats around all along, why kill them all all of a sudden?

What do people think?