chuckmum6

How old is your oldest hen?

I have an aged Pekin who is now in double digits and going strong, although I do wonder about her eyesight. She was all ready laying when I bought her for my youngest son, so I think she is around eleven years old. I had a Wyandotte who got to ten, but Jenny does seem fairly ancient! How old is your oldest?

We have 5 wyandotte hens who will be 9 years old next month. They are all healthy and show no signs of keeling over yet; we may even get a few eggs from them as we had some last year? The last of our neighbour's flock of Dutch bantams died last year. They hatched the flock so know exactly how old, but I know she was just over 16.

I am running a retirement home for aged hens, I haven’t seen an egg for months from the ‘younger’ hens and my elderly Perkins packed up laying years ago! Jenny has had a couple of dodgy moments, but was cured with hemmeriod cream and some vigorous rubbing while upside down, I won’t go into details, as some of you might be having breakfast!

Edited by chuckmum6
  • Like 1

My Lola will be ten at the end of March. I hatched her from a batch of maran eggs but she's no maran, a feisty little Araucana bantam! Still has plenty of attitude and new bantie companions keep her on her toes. She chats to me as I put them to bed, well, shouts so as to make me understand chicken, unfortunately I don't, but I let her think I do ;)  Here she is with Maureen and Daphne last March in the snow.

28468159_1990939331130857_7229324133800855002_n.jpg

• Like 2

I have a campine and I’m not sure whether she’s a bantam or not. I bought her as an emergency day old as company for a lone chick - I asked the question ‘Does anyone have any day old bantams’ and the reply was ‘only campines’. I assumed this meant ‘the only bantams I have are campines’ but maybe it actually meant ‘no, only campines’ with the subtext being that as they’re quite small they might be ok.

She’s quite a lot bigger than all my other girls.

I have a peking bantam who is just over 10, she sleeps a lot but looks healthy and bright.  Last week she laid an egg for the first time in years. She was obviously in pain and distress and making a terrible noise, when I picked her up out popped the egg...I don’t know who was most surprised 😮 Is this unusual and how long do Perkins usually live?