soapdragon

Has Anyone Been to La Rochelle?

We are trying to find a short haul short break for the October half term. Having been to Bruges and Prague already with the boys we wanted to go somewhere more 'southern' so France, Italy, Spain, Portugal. BUT OH won't fly from Luton, hates Gatwick and Heathrow and seems set on Southampton (for preference) or possibly Birmingham. Lots of the Southampton destinations are only one or two flights per week so maybe not suitable for a three/four day break. Equally, many only fly over the summer. La Rochelle is an exception so we are thinking about there but I don't really know what there may be to do there without travelling far out for just 3/4 days; websites seem strangely vague!

Has anyone been to La Rochelle or, indeed, flown from Birmingham? Over to you, oh wise ones!

I’ve flown from Birmingham several times. It’s a dream to get there from where we live, Soapy.  Hop on the train in Oxford or thereabouts and hop off at the airport. We’ve also driven and not had a problem but train easiest.  The airport is not crowded, seems to be efficient too.  Much better than Heathrow etc.  We were going to Australia though not La Rochelle.  Been there with the offspring years ago.  Can’t remember in detail but no bad memories! 

Edited by Patricia W

Had to Google it. sounds lovely. I'm with other half hate airports and being treated like a terrorist - I am a middleaged mum of 2 and get very cranky at being asked if I packed my own bags. Believe me my lot wouldn't have a clue - but ES now does his own - still have to remind re meds etc. Enjoy

Been to La Rochelle once, on the way from Brittany down to Lot. Has a very pretty harbour and a nice walk, but perhaps that's it. Met a French chap a few years back from La Rochelle and he was on holiday down here; better weather perhaps?

My preference is the small airports, my favourite being Bristol. East Midlands is OK as well, but Stanstead is horrible.

We have been to La Rochelle many times but have always flown from Southampton as that is where we live.

We love it and have been with our two young sons (went for 2 weeks) as well as by ourselves and other friends for long weekends.

The town is lovely with a couple of sandy beaches, nice walks along the port and yachting marina and plenty of cafes several with views of the Vieux Port and the sea if you go to Les Minimes. They have an aquarium and the old town is lovely.

We stay at at The Hotel Marine for the weekend trips as it overlooks the old port, if you book a sea view and we have always enjoyed looking out of the window with fabulous views of the Harbour Towers, listening to the people chatting underneath outside the bars and cafes.

Easy to drive to Ile de Re accessible via a bridge from La Rochelle.

Not all that south really for predictable sunshine, latest we have been is September.

We must have used our senior railcard.... Although do you know you can save a lot by ticket splitting?  You ask for a ticket to Birmingham airport broken at Banbury.  Saves a fortune.  They have to tell you about it if you ask. Also if you book a long way in advance you save even more. See if these make a difference. 

We stayed at Nieul- sur-mer just north and had a fab holiday.  Not far away is Green Venice around the Marans area.  You can hire authentic punts and wander round the narrow waterways.  Nice pubs shops and villages on the way.  Another thing I really enjoyed was a boat trip from Fouras to Ile d'Aix, you can walk round the island in a day.  It's an old fort and there are places to eat and chill. 

Nooooo, now seems like Jersey! I have to say that, after hours trawling the interweb looking at and comparing various hotels, guesthouses etc on several sites as well as direct on both islands I am def now in need of a holiday! Off to Gower next Saturday for half term - hooray:dance: