Valkyrie

Finally I get duckies!

We now have added The Ducks of Hazzard to our menagerie.  

Cooter is the black and white one, Daisy is the latte and Duke is the lavender.  Hiding behind the post at the back is Dixie and she is chocolate.  They are only 12 weeks old or so.  Dixie has already bloodied me with her claws, awwww bless - good times, Sioux left her mark on me from me getting used to handling chickens many moons ago!

IMG-20190906-WA0010.jpg

Thank you - have had lots of suggestions by family, but I'd already had these in mind for a long time!  :lol:  Although it was originally going to be a trio - the lavender was a given as he was saved from dispatch on Thursday - and we'd chosen the two other colours (why were there soooo many pretties - made choice difficult!) then they were rounded up into a pen - along with a few others.  So when Dixie and Daisy were put in the cage, there was still room for at least two more, but didn't want to push my luck with OH - who secretly had already fallen in love with them all - I added Cooter. Duke was already in the cat carrier.  On the way home the girls made a mess in the back of Geronimo - I think out with the hose later today!:lol:

Thanks Catsy - they are muscovy ducks. His lordship has been out already to check them since we let them out this morning (and fortified the mini run and put out food and water) and when we came back from the shops I started to wander down and had a furious banging on the window behind me - "don't go out there without me!" and out he raced!  Cooter was standing in the water bowl, having a paddle - not the drinking water which is set further away and then their food is under shelter.  Duke was standing by but they saw us (or as OH insists they don't like me but love him - aha yeah right) and went back in their house.  So that's a good thing - they know where their safe house is.  I was going to clip their wings, but after last night and none flew over the fence, I figured they were reasonably happy with their surroundings.  Plus if foxy comes they can fly into the trees.  Some ducks were happily roosting on Jack's barn!  Jack Smellie's is where we got the ducks from at Relaxed Smallholding.  Really love the set up there - all the animals are lovely.

:lol:  Thank goodness you didn't meet Trigger!  These guys are gentle and the dads are not aggressive at all - which is a bonus.  All the birds seem pretty chilled out!  I'm not going for rheas though - I've been thumped and scarred by Sioux and Apache (funnily Cheyenne never did hurt me) then chased and pecked by Squirt - who ended up a lovely girl having been on extended holiday with Mrs Mostin's crew - I think she met more than her match so was happy to see me.  Trigs was the beast of them all.  Definitely not ready for another rooster until I see where he comes from and what the animals are like for future reference.  Soooo I'm hoping that Duke will be a happy chappy too.  Years ago a colleague rescued a muscovy - it had frozen to a pond and suffered with bad frostbite, so the vet had to remove the webbing, but the rest of the feet were OK.  He did love that duck and it sounded like the duck loved him too - lots of ducky cuddles!  He also had a lady muscovy to keep him company so all was well there.

I love the runners - maybe in the future!  I also have a hankering for silver appleyards and cayugas.

AndyRoo - these are muscovies.  The intent is to breed and eat future boys.  The meat is less fatty than the others so that's a bonus for me!  I need to lose weight.

They are out in their little paddling pool at the moment - only one at a time and forming an orderly queue.  I may have to swap it with a tub trug which will be a bit bigger for them.

58 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I love the runners - maybe in the future!  I also have a hankering for silver appleyards and cayugas.

AndyRoo - these are muscovies.  The intent is to breed and eat future boys.  The meat is less fatty than the others so that's a bonus for me!  I need to lose weight.

They are out in their little paddling pool at the moment - only one at a time and forming an orderly queue.  I may have to swap it with a tub trug which will be a bit bigger for them.

I want Muscys because they're really quiet, though I know they can be quite big and messy! Rich wants more typical looking ducks, but they tend to be a bit noisy for the neighbours. 

I think all ducks can be a bit messy - but so far we've had paddling, tail wagging and cheeping.  The only quacked (and apparently it's the girls) when they were being caught and put in the carrier because they were scared.  They've not done that since.  They seem to be settling down and know where the safe house is - because they are still a bit shy and go back inside away from me.  Although they did stay out a bit longer while I filled their bath up.  I also love the little cockatoo crests when they are a little worried - soooo cute, but it seems to me a bit like raising your eyebrows - they go back down fairly quick now.

Here's a better piccie - Cooter on the left, Dixie, Daisie and Duke.  He waggles his tail a lot.  Seems to be happy then!

IMG-20190907-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

It's because they are still young.  The males caruncles - which are the knobbly bumpy bits grow faster than the ladies.  Some guys can be really scary-looking with what looks like some awful disease.  But nope, it's just the way they are.  Some have full heads of lumps and bums while others are only around their eyes and beak.  The girls do get them but to a lesser extent.  I'm hoping they stay like this, but I know they won't.  I think when you see the big guys you tend to go ooh yuk, poor thing.  But when you see them young and you get used to their characters then you don't notice any weird bits.  A friend of mine had a lump removed and I asked her if she had the op done and where was it because I'd forgotten - it was under her nose so quite prominent - but I never noticed that it had gone!  So I guess beauty is only skin deep!

Hi Luvvie - I'm going to keep a paddling pool to hand.  Apparently this lot won't be in the water as much as the other ducks because their oily glands are underdeveloped.  Then elsewhere I saw them  loving baths in the lakes.  But not building a pond.  I think by moving the paddling pool around will keep the ground less muddy where they dabble.  The rest of the ground will be for other livestock, hay and the wildlife.  Must keep the wildies happy!  The land will be divided into 3 grass paddocks and a paddock with the ducks, chickens and alpacas to roam and guard - it'll also be where we are hoping to have a stable/barn thing - sort of American style barn.  That way I will have something solid for the birds and have somewhere for the pacas to shelter in awful weather - and covered for shearing.  Assuming we get planning permission for it.

I swapped the box for a round tub trug this morning - it appears to be much more suitable as Daisy was in it like a shot!  I've also been counting my steps to and from the tap as I was filling up with a watering can - 260 x 5 (or possibly more of the pool trips - definitely more as I'd done the same with drinking water and food) so that's well over 1000 steps this morning - and not counting to and fro-ing to the chooks!

They make funny little noises and I can only liken it to a loon - from our canoe sessions in Canada, but so much more quiet.

17 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I think all ducks can be a bit messy - but so far we've had paddling, tail wagging and cheeping.

Oooh, I didn't even know Muscies could quack! I thought they were like geese and they had a kind of low 'hiss'.

Maybe this will improve my chances of getting Rich on side. lol

Well this morning Daisy flew a couple of big circuits around the field, but came back because everyone else was in the run.  So we rounded her back in - she landed outside and wanted back in - and she took off yet again.  When she tried diving through the netting (electricity was off at the time) OH caught her (rather expertly as he has no gashes whatsoever - unlike me who is now sporting many holes in my arms) - wings clipped and so are the others - hence gashes.  I didn't want to clip, but now I've opened up the little run so that they can have more space to wander round.  No sooner than we clipped her she was in the bath because we made her dirty!  Well, we touched her and how very dare we!  I'll nip out when the rain passes (already drenched) and check on them.  Thank goodness they are not burrowing ducks!

• Haha 1