Ursula123

Dog Attack

My neighbours dog got out and attacked my chickens on Tuesday, sadly we had to put one to sleep and the other one was minus a few feathers but no visible wounds and is fine. However the dog got out again this morning and headed straight for my garden and chickens, luckily I saw it in time.

My neighbour (British) is very apologetic and upset and has said she doesn't know what to do. I have suggested when the dog is in their garden ( they leave it in the garden during the day) that it wears a muzzle. I don't want the to chain it up in the garden as I don't think that is fair on the dog.

I know the dog can still chase the chickens but won't be able to bite and therefore I won't have the horrendous injury I faced earlier this week. I have plenty of dense bushes in the garden where the chickens could then hide. 

I welcome any other suggestions you may all have. I am also worried that if the dog gets into one of the other French neighbours and kills a lamb or chickens that they will insist the dog is put to sleep.

We had a dog attack in the Dordogne Ursula; killed and ate one and blinded another. They tore through the chicken wire enclosure (which was in an area forbidden to hunters) to get to them and only attacked the Cream Legbars. I think the reason is their colouring which closely resembles game birds. Problem is Brits take in rescue dogs and invariably they are discarded hunters. We had one killed on arrival by the neighbours rescue dogs as well; again she resembled a game bird.

I think you will find this dog is the least of your problems as strays, hunting dogs and foxes will get in there as well. You should have your chickens in a secure electrified enclosure otherwise you could lose them all. I know free-ranging seems best for the chickens but it comes with a big risk. We have three out roaming (the rest are secure) and accept we could come home to piles of feathers at any time. Our previous neighbour down here had two expensive free-ranging pedigree flocks taken by foxes. He doesn't keep chickens now. 

Thank you for the reply Beantree.  You are quite correct that the British take in all sorts of rescue dogs and I am sure that the one next door was a hunt dog. It is approx 4 years old and although they collected it from a private seller it was segregated from their other dogs which speaks volumes.

I have never seen a stray dog around here but not saying that there aren't any, the hunters control their dogs very well and we are surrounded by livestock so not too close for the chase. I know there are risks with free ranging with foxes and badgers however I accept that as nature and the structure of the food chain.

I suppose I object to my neighbours blasé attitude with regard to the dogs security and the consequences of its actions. The last dog they had used to visit my garden frequently and he told me it was my fault as the dog had found a bone in the rubbish bag I had put in the boot of my car but had not shut the boot as I was still loading the car and therefore the dog would continue to visit as I was supplying food.

TBH I don't think that the dog should be outside all day unsupervised in a garden that is obviously not secure. Quite apart from your chickens it could get out onto the road and cause an accident, attack another dog or person or other animals in nearby fields. If your neighbours want to leave the dog outside then perhaps it should be chained but with a 'humane' length so that it can move around it's own area freely but no further. Surely if you have a dog then it shouldn't be let out in an unsecured area?

Do you have any recourse to the equivalent of the local constabulary who could have a word? Maybe things don't work like that in rural France but, given that your neighbours are Brits perhaps that might be the way forward? They'd certainly not get away with allowing their dog/s to escape regularly back here! A muzzle is all very well and would do the job but not solve the root problem (the fact that the dog's garden is not secure). Equally, your chickens won't understand that the dog is muzzled and so will still get very stressed if chased by a dog, muzzled or not!

Hope you can resolve this ..... keep us posted!

Thanks Soapy, just realised I didnt say they have a fence around the part of the garden the dog is left in,  but it still gets out somehow. He tells me there is no way out but the dog ends up in our garden so there is, proven this morning by Staurt marching him back and they hadn't realised the dog was gone.

I am fairly certain if it attacks one of our French neighbours animals then the mayor will order it to be put to sleep, I have told them I will speak to the mayor if it continues as here in rural France the mayor is all powerful.

I am really at a loss as to what to do, the dog is the only thing she has in her life as her husband is an awful man and I don't want to be the bad guy but don't see why I should make changes to my garden and the way my chickens live.

The only thing I can hope if it's muzzled that the girls have a chance and can get into the dense bushes in the garden

2 hours ago, soapdragon said:

TBH I don't think that the dog should be outside all day unsupervised in a garden that is obviously not secure. Quite apart from your chickens it could get out onto the road and cause an accident, attack another dog or person or other animals in nearby fields. If your neighbours want to leave the dog outside then perhaps it should be chained but with a 'humane' length so that it can move around it's own area freely but no further. Surely if you have a dog then it shouldn't be let out in an unsecured area?

Do you have any recourse to the equivalent of the local constabulary who could have a word? Maybe things don't work like that in rural France but, given that your neighbours are Brits perhaps that might be the way forward? They'd certainly not get away with allowing their dog/s to escape regularly back here! A muzzle is all very well and would do the job but not solve the root problem (the fact that the dog's garden is not secure). Equally, your chickens won't understand that the dog is muzzled and so will still get very stressed if chased by a dog, muzzled or not!

Hope you can resolve this ..... keep us posted!

Absolutely!

They have a duty to make sure that their dog is under control or supervision or in a secure garden/compound. What happens if it escapes and comes across a small child?!

My two lurchers are hunters by nature and I have no doubt that they'd have the chickens given a chance, but they are never allowed out unless the birds are in their runs. The dogs are trained to not bark or race at the runs as well. My garden is ultra-secure in terms of the dogs and I would accept any responsibility if they got out. I hasten to add that they are not dangerous at all to people... unless that person is tryign to break onto their patch.

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

That’s one adventurous dog! Would a electric fence be an option to protect the chickens? Personally I think that a determined dog doesn’t need his teeth to kill a chicken, so not sure what a muzzle will do.

True, and they could easily die of shock without any injuries. A good zap or 2 form the fence might help, but I think your birds need to be in a secure compound, which is annoying as none of this is your fault. In the UK, if it repeatedly escapes and causes damage, then the owners are liable for any costs and will be admonished by the dog warden (or police, depending on the damage injury).

Quick update.

I was advised by my French teacher  to contact the mayor of our commune to log the problem, after speaking to the mayor he has written to my neighbours about it as apparently others have complained to him about the dogs behaviour.

The dog has been kept indoors all week and she has added another walk to the day, to be fair to her she does walk it about 3 miles each time.

We can still use our gardens Patricia, however she is unable to walk the dog.Their garden like ours is over 3 acres so she can walk around the garden with the dog on a lead to exercise it. We are not allowed to mix with other people even the neighbours. The government are taking it very seriously indeed.

Good for them.

Folks with out of control dogs really get me going - I had an incident yesterday; my older lurcher now has slightly restricted eyesight and gets really scared when a dog runs up to him as it's suddenly there, in his face. We were out on one of our regular walks around some local fields, I saw another dog coming towards us, so called my two to heel and popped their leads on - normal dog walking etiquette would be that the other person should do the same. This person shouted "It's OK, he's fine" while this massive great Mastiff X donkey came bounding up and leapt all over poor Cyrus; I asked her to get her dog under control as Cyrus is very nervous, and she refused. Cyrus was by now, between my legs and shaking, the owner had walked on and was calling her dog, which wasn't responding. I told her that she had one more chance to get it on the lead before I let Ruby off, who would be sure to protect her brother.... she didn't so I did, and Ruby definitely taught it some lessons and then came back to heel. The thing is that you never know how someone else's dog will behave or react, so it's best to keep them on a lead.

Apologies for the rant :oops:

Edited by The Dogmother
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

DM, when much younger both my boys adored dogs but we had several instances around the village where dogs were off the lead and bounded up to the lads and jumped on them. All whilst the owners were shouting' they are only being friendly' and with me trying to push, kick or otherwise get the lolloping dog away from crying, screaming and distressed children.  When taken to task by me the owners were unrepentant and just couldn't see why they had to have their dogs on a lead out in the street (not even on the rec!). How were two small children to know that this huge, furry thing jumping at them was friendly? Needless to say that both boys are far from keen on dogs now, which is sad.It took YS in particular several years of cowering next to me when we saw a dog in the village before he finally managed to walk past with any degree of confidence. 

I only wish all dog owners were as thoughtful and responsible as the Forum ones!

12 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

I know, it really gets me going - all dog should be 'under control' in public places; it's the law. Dog walking etiquette is (usually) that you pop your own dogs on lead when you see another approaching. No matter how biddable you think your is. 

Ditto children - however you choose to interpret that 🤣

OH's cousin has a cocker spaniel puppy - last year she was with him in the park when a large dog ran over, grabbed him in his mouth and shook him, she was injured trying to rescue her little pup and the owner was useless.  Also unapologetic and after getting his animal to realease the pup walked away.  He is known not to have control, so a case was brought against him.  Nothing much happened, he has to pay the costs for the vet and was told to apologise.  Since then he has paid nothing and no apology.  The police are useless and he has been playing the "I'm the victim here, not her!"

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

OH's cousin has a cocker spaniel puppy - last year she was with him in the park when a large dog ran over, grabbed him in his mouth and shook him, she was injured trying to rescue her little pup and the owner was useless.  Also unapologetic and after getting his animal to realease the pup walked away.  He is known not to have control, so a case was brought against him.  Nothing much happened, he has to pay the costs for the vet and was told to apologise.  Since then he has paid nothing and no apology.  The police are useless and he has been playing the "I'm the victim here, not her!"

Poor wee pup - all too common I'm afraid.