Cinnamon

The wanderer returns, injured this time

Some of you may remember that Chilli, my half Bengal cat went missing for 6 days a few weeks ago.

He came back safe & well, but recently went AWOL for 5 days again :roll:

I can't tell you what a worry he is :roll::?

Anyhow, he came back 3 days ago, & has a nasty injury on his front leg.It looks like he has been caught in a trap or snare.There is basically a chunk of skin & fur missing, about 3 inches across & 1 wide.

I took him to the vets & he had jabs etc, & the wound was looking good - nice & clean & dry, but since then it has started looking wet & weepy, despite me washing it with some stuff from the vets.

They did tell me to keep him in, but to be honest there is no chance of that.He just yowls all the time until he can get out,or scratches & rattles at the cat flap :roll:

He is very obviously distressed if we try to keep him in.......

Any bright ideas on how I can get this leg a bit better?

Have you tried a lamp shade collar on him? One of our cats has a severe flea allergy and sometimes has weepy areas of skin, it's always made worse by her cleaning it. Sadly, cat's mouths are full of bacteria and cleaning can cause infections. A week with the lamp shade on is miserable for them but does the trick.

Hope he gets better soon.

Christian!! :shock::roll:

(Sorry - it made me laugh too! :lol: )

Poor Chilli, but it sounds like he hasn't learnt his lesson yet does it? I used to have a cat and he went AWOL for a few days and came back with a wire snare round his neck! His whole head was enlarged :shock: Looked horrendous, but completely recovered after a day or two of TLC. They are such a worry aren't they? :?

Gosh, he is going to be a cause of worry to you isn't he! Glad to hear he's basically ok - as long as it isn't actually smelly or looking infected, I'm a strong believer in the natural healing powers of animals! If he's fit and healthy, it will get better. You'll soon know if it is infected because he'll be very off-colour, and/or it will smell disgusting, and ooze horrible stuff.

I once had a cat with a broken pelvis, and we were told to keep him confined in a tea-chest so he couldn't put any weight on it. After he'd broken out for the third time and dragged himself upstairs, we decided it was best if he didn't keep forcing his way through the wire, and left him to it! He made a full recovery.

The wound powder sounds a good idea if you have some, but I bet he will start to heal up soon.

Gosh, he is going to be a cause of worry to you isn't he!

Its like having a wayward teenage son :roll::roll::roll:

And he has been neutered already, so thats not what is going on.

I chatted to the vet & he says that Chills is being fed somewhere,as her was in remarkable condition for a cat that had been missing for 5 days.

I guess theres not too much I can do about that, but the vets have promised to call me if his other Mum brings him in for his leg to be looked at.

To be honest it rankles a bit. I don't want him having another home, I want him just to be ours :cry::roll::?

I know what you mean. One of my other cats is a long haired monster and she's always coming home covered in knotty hair full of twigs and fern, which have to be combed out. One night she came home with bits shaved off her :shock:

She's obviously got a second home dispite her having an obvious collar and name tag.Her other home owners thought they were being helpful :evil:

The thing I have noticed with Chilli is that I always put a big,bold name tag on him, as well as lots of other bells & jingly jangly bits.....he looks a bit of a tart really, but it stops him bringing too many mice into the house :roll:

Anyhow, his name tags keep being removed, & they are the ring type,where you have to open them up & move them around until they come off, so I don't think there is any way that could be done accidently.

I think "someone" is taking his name tags off ,which I keep having to replace :roll:

Anyhow, his name tags keep being removed, & they are the ring type,where you have to open them up & move them around until they come off, so I don't think there is any way that could be done accidently.

I think "someone" is taking his name tags off ,which I keep having to replace :roll:

Sounds like it. I'd get him micro chipped ....if he isn't already.

That is SO mean. Someone fed one of our cats, and she nearly never came home, and we had no idea what was going on until the other people took her to the vet and the vet noticed the chip and called us. :evil:

Horrid people. Why don't you put a tag on him that says 'Please don't touch me, I have sarcoptic mange'.

Horrid people. Why don't you put a tag on him that says 'Please don't touch me, I have sarcoptic mange'.

:lol::lol::lol:

One of my cats disappeared, and I spent days searching convinced he was locked in a shed (I lived in a university town then, and the students had just gone home for the summer). He turned up one day looking fit and well, with a collar on and someone else's name and address!

It turned out they thought he'd been abandoned by students - they were astonished to hear that I lived 200 yards away and that he had free access with a cat-flap! Eventually we agreed that they would keep him, because he didn't get on with my other cat. I didn't blame them for feeding him, they genuinely thought he had been deserted - but Chilli's 'other owner' must know perfectly well that he has a good home.

Wonder how you can find out where he goes? I bet it isn't more than a street away.

try putting something like this on a coller thingy:

"thieves go to jail.... leave me and my collar alone.... or you can try and remove my collar from behind bars"

"i know where you live"

"****** off :evil: "

"leave me alone.... get it???"

maybe a bit rude but these sort of things get me all heated :evil:

You can get radio collars (I considered it for chips as he does go AWOL from time to time) but they are pretty pricey :roll:

I would put something rude on the collar myself along the lines of theft and see where that gets you and if it is still happening what about the police?? At the end of the day he is your property and if someone is doing it deliberately that is theft :wink: