Fraser66

Eglu Cube , realistic capacity

Hi,

I'm looking at re-homing hens from the British Hen Welfare Trust.  What is the realistic capacity for an Eglu Cube with that size of hen in mind.  
BTW, I'm not even certain that there is a standard size for hens from the BHWT?
The Omlet web site states: "6-8 medium sized hens ...   4-5 large breeds "

The run is another element, the size I have available is  3x4m, with the cube inside the run.

Hopefully, someone will have done this before and can advise.

The house isn’t the determining factor, it’s the run. Depending on who you ask on here, it’s a minimum of 1square meter per hen or 2 square metres per hen. Either way, the more space the better. You could probably get away with 8 hens in that set-up. Although if you’re a new chicken owner, you should ask yourself if that isn’t stretching it. 

Normally excommercial birds are medium sized hens.

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback. In particular the usual re-homed hen sizes.  That will help a great deal.

I was aware of the capacity and Sq meter allocation. It's the internal capability of the Cube Mk2.

I have no intention of 'squeezing in'  or 'getting away' with, too many hens, particularly with this being my first coop. 8 was never a consideration.  My hope is to give these hens a better life than they had.

I should have been clearer in the question.  I'll clarify, it was more about 'is it reasonable' to house say .... 4,5 or 6 re-homed hens.     I just laid out a space in my lounge, based on the internal space of the Cube and I'm amazed 6 will fit, let alone the suggested 8! 

Chickens love snuggling up close, so don’t be surprised about how many hens can technically fit in the coop. There have been people with big flocks and multiple coops, who found one Cube empty at night and about 12 hens in the other... 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

Everyone is right in what they say, and no slurs are intended on your proposed chicken keeping arrangements, we are all mighty happy you are taking a responsible attitude!  I only have experience of the Mk1 Cube and I could fit 6 large orpingtons (they are much bigger than ex-batts) in there, but the key point is - how much room do they have outside, as it is perfectly true that some birds like to snuggle up indoors but they can make life very unpleasant for the one at the bottom of the pecking order outside if they so choose, escape space is required.  My lot free ranged, and were an established group, so I was happy with the arrangement.  You can never have too much outside space, but you can certainly have too little, and it should always be a major consideration. 

If I had ex-batts in a Mk1, and no FR, then 6 would be the max, and if it was my first foray into chicken keeping I would probably start with 4 birds, just so get my hand and eye in, in fact, my best piece of advice to a newbie owner is to observe, constantly, that way you get to understand your birds, to deal with any situations quickly, and you will get the maximum pleasure out of them.    I can't answer your specific question on a Mk2, I'm afraid, hopefully somebody will be along who has experience of one.

Enjoy your new adventures!

Sounds like good advice all round. The area I have is pretty compact,  I just want to be fair to the birds and have  practical solution. So,  I want to ensure that I size it right.  If I require a larger or different coop, then knowing now would be good.  It's certainly not going to pass any 'business' plan with cost of Eglu equipment as it is!

It's looking like a Eglu Cube Mk2, a 3x4 m Walk in run (full access), with a further fenced area of 25m2 .  So, a small number of hens in a relatively small space.

I was considering 4 or 5 hens and was concerned that the internal space in the Cube Mk2 may be too restricted for 5.  I'd seen multiple comments of over estimation of capacity of other coops in their adverts. 

I think 5 would be fine and a nice number to start with.

37 minutes ago, Fraser66 said:

.  So, a small number of hens in a relatively small space.

I think many here would be jealous of that set up and definitely that amount of space!!! They will be very lucky ladies to retire there!

Although mine is a mk1 Cube, I can confirm the capacity for sleeping birds. The ex bats will probably be warrens which are classed as a medium sized bird. i have three warrens alongside three similar sized Columbian blacktails and two slightly smaller leghorns, and all eight are very happy in the cube. They probably have about 15sqM between them and have plenty enough space to avoid the bad behaviour of overcrowding.

Do bear in mind, though, that some of your ex bats may lead happy lives for only a relatively short time, after which you may well think of additions. Your run should still be big enough to subdivide temporarily at that point whilst introducing a couple of new girls to your then incumbent flock.

• Like 1