Luvachicken

Best time of day to use Ivermectim drops ?

So I ordered the Ivermectim drops the other week and was slightly disappointed.

Not only was the product expensive but the postage to me, seemed over the top. It was signed for and in a massive padded envelope. I'm sure this could have been done more cheaply.

Unfortunately, I ordered the bottle over the phone because online didn't work, so had no idea of the postage.

I knew a 10ml bottle would be small but I was not expecting it to last only 3 months once opened. By the time I do mine for 3 weeks, a week at a time, I will have used 6 drops.

Anyway, the point of my post was to ask what is the best time of day to put the drops on ?

I'm guessing just before they go to bed as then they cant rub it off ? This is what we used to do for Daisy with Front Line.

Can’t imagine it having such a short shelf life after opening... 

My oral iverquantel drops contain ivermectin and don’t have a use within warning.

It’s absorbed very quickly, but right after bedtime might be easiest as they’ll stay dry for a good while too. I always treat mine after bedtime because I can’t catch Gerda any other way.

OK, so now I know why my bill was so expensive.

At The Chicken Vet it costs £22.38 for the drops

£5.48 tax

£5.04 for postage !!!!!

Compared to Viovet where the drops cost £23.50

£3.92 tax - which is included in the £23.50

£2.99 postage under 2kg

Guess where I'll be buying my next bottle of drops next time. It certainly won't be from The Chicken Vet.

Thanks Patricia xx

Often online pharmacies sell drugs cheaper than vets can order them from wholesalers due to the quantities they order them in.

I usually dose when they've gone to roost 'cos you can just go along them in a row and its much quicker :) 

I buy a lot of my pet stuff from VioVet, but shop around anyway just to be sure.

I get Ivomec Eprinex (cattle pour-on) from my vet and the smallest size is 200ml, so it last for ages, and I haven't noticed a reduction in performance over the time it's been since opening the bottle. From memory it costs around £50 and lasts me at least a couple of years. I treat when they have gone into roost, only because it is easier and they are more biddable.

On 8/2/2020 at 3:44 PM, Lewis said:

I usually dose when they've gone to roost 'cos you can just go along them in a row and its much quicker :) 

I only have 2 now so it doesn't take long to dot the stuff on them.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, The Dogmother said:

I get Ivomec Eprinex (cattle pour-on) from my vet and the smallest size is 200ml, so it last for ages, and I haven't noticed a reduction in performance over the time it's been since opening the bottle. From memory it costs around £50 and lasts me at least a couple of years. I treat when they have gone into roost, only because it is easier and they are more biddable.

Does that mean you think my little bottle will last longer than the 3 months ?