Shiffythefishy

Anyone added a solid roof to their Omlet walk in run?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been scouring the net for answers for months.  I have spent quite literally a fortune on a cube and walk in run, including a few gutter edge covers.  After a few snatching incidents top security was paramount.  However, the reality of torrential, endless Scottish rain is very true, and my run is still almost completely drenched after a good downpour despite being in a sheltered corner.  The gutter edge works fine, but the water then just runs right in (like a stream) from the bottom parts.  I’m reluctant to spend yet another £100 on more covers to still have the same issues.  

Thinking of trying to build an additional roof structure with decent guttering.  Has anyone done this, or had success moulding ondulin panels to the current structure?  

the run is 2x4m, on a slabbed surface with added drainage gaps, and covered in wood chips.  The drainage is less of an issue, it’s the dry area I’m after. 

Pumpkin the grumpy wee pekin would be ever so thankful for anyone’s advice.  Her Orpington sisters really couldn’t give a toss. 

Many thanks!

Edited by Shiffythefishy
Additional set up info added

I have clear tarpaulins from Tarpaflex on the roof on three sides held in place with bungees.   They are in their 5th year and still going strong.  Much cheaper and better quality than the Omlet ones. .  However, the run is sheltered to some extent by where it is in the garden.  

I thought about the wavy onduline on the roof but decided it might act as a sail!  I have sheets of it that I move into position in bad weather on the side I keep open for ventilation.  Again I use bungees to keep them in place.  

I have thought about having a car port type arrangement over it, but decided not to for various reasons.   Not sure if that helps.   Good luck! 

Edited by Patricia W

I have my 9 x 9 W.I.R. on on a slabbed area & had the same problem as you with water getting in & flooding the area. My remedy  was to cement a long line of spare bricks [___][___][___][___] on the worst side to see how it worked out & it did😊 Glad I didn't do all the run edges as I've decided to extend run but once that's done I'll cement more bricks down. I have one big tarp that covers whole 9ft side, extends over the roof & 3ft down other side. It's kept in place by 5 Ratchet straps. The cover also comes round the sides by about a foot & a half on each side. I put the extra omlet covers I've bought over the years on the naked sides & remove then when it's summertime (about 2 days in Scotland) to ventilate.