Luvachicken

Christmas swap 2021 - join in by 31st October '21

Golly, this time of year comes around so quickly every time.

Just wondered who would be up for the Christmas swap this year.

For those that don't know, the swap is like a secret santa - Me and Mr Luvachicken PM you an address and you make something crafty for them and post it in time for Christmas. In return, someone sends you something.

As it is a secret santa, obviously it is a SECRET.

Try not to post on here what you are good at making because that gives things away.

Here are the rules - please read them carefully

1. You must have been an Omlet member for at least 3 months

2. You must have made at least 100 posts 

3. You must let me know if you change your mind and can't make your item, so something else can be sorted

4. You need to stay updated with any changes and things that are going on by checking on the post regularly

5. You need to post your parcel by the stated date so that people get their gifts in time

6. You need to say that you have posted your gift and received yours, either on the main page or by PM'ing me

7. Most importantly you need to post a thank you and a photo of the item you have been sent.

8. Take a photo of your item before you post it (as not everyone always says thankyou and puts up a photo)

9. Not really a rule, but some of our chicken friends live abroad so you will need to factor that in to your costs and postage

I know this seems like a lot of rules, (I might even add a few more) but sadly after running the swap for a good few years now, things don't always go to plan.

Sometimes parcels don't turn up, they get delayed in the post and sometimes people only want to receive a gift and don't send anything in return - that really is not fair.

People have even forgotten they were taking part in the swap in the first place and had to send a rushed gift by special delivery - unfortunately very expensive for them and disappointing for the recipient when everyone else has received their gifts in time.

I will post final details about last posting dates soon but just wanted to get the ball rolling.

We usually have about 6 weeks to make something, so if you'd like to join in add your name to the post.

I know for certain that @Cat tails will be on the list 

On the list so far

@Luvachicken

@Cat tails

@Girly

@HarrisonFamily

@Hellis

@mullethunter

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, HarrisonFamily said:

I would love too ....but since lockdown has lifted I seemed to have lost my creative side - I will try and think of something and let you know soon....

Internet is my friend! I’m not creative at all, just good at copying stuff! 😂

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, HarrisonFamily said:

I have an idea - but would need help - is that allowed or should the gift be my own work ???  I am happy  to put a disclaimer in with the gift saying "Hope you enjoyed this but I cannot take full credit"  - 😀

I think that is fine @HarrisonFamily 

Does that mean you are taking part  now 😊?

On 10/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, HarrisonFamily said:

I have an idea - but would need help - is that allowed or should the gift be my own work ???  I am happy  to put a disclaimer in with the gift saying "Hope you enjoyed this but I cannot take full credit"  - 😀

I’m trying something new this year too! Not sure how ‘good’ I will get before Christmas… 😅

Where is @soapdragon?? And maybe @Valkyrie? If she’s still around. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, Cat tails said:

I’m trying something new this year too! Not sure how ‘good’ I will get before Christmas… 😅

Where is @soapdragon?? And maybe @Valkyrie? If she’s still around. 

Yes, it has been very quiet on here lately.

Valkyrie hasn’t been on here for absolutely ages.

Perhaps Soapy might come on at the weekend. 

• Like 1

Soapy here, just ahead of the weekend and about to head to Taunton for half term! I had hoped to start Christmas crafting as I have an idea of something to do...wanted to make a few to give as presents....but I haven't had time to get going yet (there are several stages!) so don't want to commit and then either pull out or be under pressure to get it right! Is 1st November the deadline? I may be able to do some stuff the weekend we are back and then see if I can work out how long it will take!

• Like 2

Would love to take part but husband not great, grown up son waiting on test results which might not be good.   Had kitchen flood few months ago and new kitchen going in starting Monday.   Have painted most of it but will have bits to do when finished so right now a bit much on my plate as I am the only one able to clear out, shift and lift !   Indoor Bengal cat going to cattery tomorrow for a week so don't have to worry about him - he is the only one! 😊   Maybe next time ladies.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 12:53 AM, Blackrocksrock said:

Would love to take part but husband not great, grown up son waiting on test results which might not be good.   Had kitchen flood few months ago and new kitchen going in starting Monday.   Have painted most of it but will have bits to do when finished so right now a bit much on my plate as I am the only one able to clear out, shift and lift !   Indoor Bengal cat going to cattery tomorrow for a week so don't have to worry about him - he is the only one! 😊   Maybe next time ladies.

Oh take care B! Hope your OH and son keep well.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:27 PM, soapdragon said:

Soapy here, just ahead of the weekend and about to head to Taunton for half term! I had hoped to start Christmas crafting as I have an idea of something to do...wanted to make a few to give as presents....but I haven't had time to get going yet (there are several stages!) so don't want to commit and then either pull out or be under pressure to get it right! Is 1st November the deadline? I may be able to do some stuff the weekend we are back and then see if I can work out how long it will take!

Joining is 31st I think, but sending isn’t for weeks yet!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 8:19 PM, Cat tails said:

I almost forgot @Ursula123! Want to join this time around?

I would have loved to have joined but delivery companies and La Poste are still charging import duties even if parcels are marked gift or the value is low, it’s a bit hit and miss and not at all consistent. I recently asked Cinnamon where she ordered her wool and she told me to keep my order under a certain amount and you won’t get charged so I did but got hit with customs charges whereas she didn’t so I think it all depends on the delivery company's.

Cant wait to look at everyone’s makes.

We were hit with customs duty as well @Ursula123 and have stopped buying from the UK. The item was £35 plus £30 door to door delivery quoted by UPS European, plus VAT (still cheaper than here). After arrival we were, a few weeks later, hit with a €35 invoice for extra delivery and customs duty, which then made the item more expensive! We expected UPS to know what they were doing, but it seems after we queried it the customs charges vary unpredictably, depending on who at the border is checking the items? I've heard the same applies the other way and some people in England have stopped buying from Europe.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, Ursula123 said:

I would have loved to have joined but delivery companies and La Poste are still charging import duties even if parcels are marked gift or the value is low, it’s a bit hit and miss and not at all consistent. I recently asked Cinnamon where she ordered her wool and she told me to keep my order under a certain amount and you won’t get charged so I did but got hit with customs charges whereas she didn’t so I think it all depends on the delivery company's.

Cant wait to look at everyone’s makes.

That sucks @Ursula123! Hope it sorts itself out over time.