Guest Poet

The Pick Me Up/Good News Thread. Use it daily!

Brilliant news...it's snowing here! :D:D:D:D

OK Clare, just rub it in why don't you :shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think this forum is currently doing a Martin............ but instead of football in every thread it's snow :shock:

(Sorry Martin, you know I'm joking don't you :lol::lol::lol: )

For the record it's still raining down here in Dartford, and that bit of weather reporting definitely doesn't belong in a good news thread.

But hubby is currently ironing the school uniforms for tomorrow so I have some free forum time...........that does belong in here :dance::dance::dance:

Here's my story but I found out yesterday. Got a letter from my friend in Holland yesterday. This time last year she had her first child, a girl, who was stillborn. I hadn't heard from her since, despite sending letters and Christmas and birthday cards. In the letter I received yesterday turns out she had a little boy 2 weeks ago, both are doing fine :dance::dance::dance:

*whispers* snowing in Brum, snowing in Brum :lol:

Lovely stories above! :D

I've spent the afternoon and evening with my bestest buddy, both sets of children played beautifully all day, quality girl talk between me and mate. Just enjoying last cup of tea when her OH came in and informed me it was snowing! Made our way gingerly home (only 10 miles but seemed like much further! :shock: ), now toasting in front of fire, kiddiwinks exhausted and fast a bobos. 8) Lovely day! :D

dead easy to be honest, it could have been a fluke as i've heard it's tricky to make but ours turned out yummy.

We used the food processor with the whisk attachment and just drizzled the oil in thru the funnel at the top while it was whisking.

2 egg yolks

1 tsp dijon mustard

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

salt and pepper

splash lemon juice

whizz that up first and then drizzle in the oil VERY slowly, we used about 225ml groundnut oil but you can use veg oil or light olive oil

dolphin friendly tuna and mayo sarnies for lunch t'row :)

we're going to add garlic next time we make it.

Edited by Guest

Very impressive Poet and I love the lock & lock! I only have 1 square one! :shock:

*heads off to shops*

haha, all ours are square, got a bulk buy from QVC but we keep leaving them at work (make very good lunch boxes) and then they go walkabouts, arrrghhhh!

So, I've started recycling liqui tab boxes (wash out first to get rid of the perfume) and other plastic tubs but sometimes, only 'lock and lock' will do! :)

Poet wrote:

just made homemade mayonnaise for the first time, no more battery egg mayo for us!!!!!!

That looks very professional :clap::clap: How long do you think it will 'keep' for? I had never heard of lock and lock our local takeways deliver the food in really neat plastic boxes which I recycle for food storage, we have dozens :oops::oops:

Tessa

Poet wrote:

just made homemade mayonnaise for the first time, no more battery egg mayo for us!!!!!!

That looks very professional :clap::clap: How long do you think it will 'keep' for? I had never heard of lock and lock our local takeways deliver the food in really neat plastic boxes which I recycle for food storage, we have dozens :oops::oops:

Tessa

delia says it will keep in the fridge for a week but to be honest, I don't think it will last that long, we're both having tuna mayo sarnies for lunch t'row and any left over i will probably dip raw carrot in it and just snack on it- that recipe doesn't make too much, just a very small jars worth. You could half the ingredients if you didn't want too much.

I used to do the same with our takeaway boxes til i found out they used broiler chicken so I make my own 'salt and pepper chicken' now! Will never use a takeaway again, except for fish and chips!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh i forgot, oven chips dipped in mayo, Friday night with Jonathan Ross, a glass of wine and some chips and mayo!

uh oh, I can see me having to make some more t'row!!!!! :lol:

Poet wrote:

I used to do the same with our takeaway boxes til i found out they used broiler chicken so I make my own 'salt and pepper chicken' now! Will never use a takeaway again, except for fish and chips!

We NEVER order meat or chicken takeaways, our Indian takeaway is veggie only and scrummy :) if we have Chinese or Thai we have noodle and veg dishes only well maybe sometimes prawn :)

Tessa

Poet wrote:

We NEVER order meat or chicken takeaways, our Indian takeaway is veggie only and scrummy :) if we have Chinese or Thai we have noodle and veg dishes only well maybe sometimes prawn :)

Tessa

apropos of noodles, a vegan friend of DH's has recommended a really good noodle bar in Liverpool on Bold St,

http://www.itchyliverpool.co.uk/venue/196952/Tea-House-Café

a few doors up from a shop that sells my poetry greetings cards, so we're going to try it next week- kill 2 birds with 1 stone- go to the shop and drop off some stock and then have lunch on the profits ;)

I really wish I could go veggie and I've tried but I love meat too much so any meat we buy is always organic/free range.

Oohh, what's the shop called that sells your cards?

'News From Nowhere' http://www.newsfromnowhere.org.uk/ but there are other shops around Liverpool that sell them too.

I haven't been well lately so need to get some stock to quite a few of them as they've probably run out by now! I need to get cracking and make some over the weekend.

Edited by Guest

Me too Poet; a while ago, I was veggie for a bit because I couldn't source meat, which met with my welfare standards. Now I buy all our meat form the local farmers' markets or farm shops. I like my meat too.

we use this one which is porbably not too far from Jules actually, I'm sure she's mentioned St Helens!

http://www.forsterorganicmeats.com/home.cfm

they are brilliant and very good value for money too, if you buy in bulk they'll always knock a bit off the price if you ask ;)

I'm equidistant between the two locations of Haigh & Moss Bank! One of my homebirth friends gets her meat form the Haigh shop, I'm sure.

I started my working life in St Helens, met hubby there (through work), lived there from 1995-1999 & hubby has family there. He is originally from Wavertree.

Ethna loves to go shopping in St Helens as there is a Woolies there... lots of toys :roll: